Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipad Mini

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Ipad Mini

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section.

I want to buy two Ipad mini’s for my kids Christmas aged 6&7 however a guy at work reckons Google’s Nexus 7 is a better option.

I have no idea about these tablets but I’m more inclined to opt for the Nexus 7 as I hate buying in to the whole iTunes thing and I’m guessing Android would be better to get free games and apps

Apart from the Ipad mini being more expensive is it superior to any other tablet or would I just be paying more for the name?

I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ipad Mini

There are a few video comparisons between the 2 on YouTube mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Android wins for me every time. Plus the Nexus 7 is cheaper.

Thanks to Geko

dpSparhawk (28th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think this is a no brainer.

iPad mini is over priced, plus it's locked into Apple's bullcrap if you choose not to JB. They won't really be bothered about the so called superior build of an Apple device (which is the weak argument most hardcore apple fanboys use) or the so called superior screen which isn't actually the best quality screen compared to the iPad 3 anyway.

Plus, you'll save £200 buying two Nexus 7's and still be able to get thousands of apps for them. In addition, the ability to drag and drop HD movie files to it in Windows Explorer or via Airdroid (fantastic app) and play with zero conversion required as opposed to the nightmare that is iTunes is also a clincher in my opinion.

My son is 4 and a half and I plan on buying myself a Galaxy Note 10.1 (I have a G-Note phone) which although will primarly be used by myself will serve as a perfect media player and educational tool for longer trips out in the car.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If money isn't an option, but the iPad Minis.. no Contesto. Better Apps, better user experience, better customer support, more cachet with other kids, higher resale price etc.. I can argue the toss over this all day long as I have a house full of Apple and Android tablets and phones and am a serial gadget junkie.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

my 4 year old and 6 year old love my nexus 7

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for your input guys.

GTI you threw a spanner in the works there as you're the only one that went for Apple lol. Money isn't really an issue but I'm a great believer in 'buy cheap buy twice' although there are exceptions.

I'm veering on the android but I'll have to have a serious think about this.

Thanks again for all your help.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If money's not an option go for two Nexus 7's and buy yourself something with the change. I just bought my fourth Nexus 7 today from Curry's to replace the one my son is using all the time. The rest have went to family as their so good. Had no issues with build quality or reliability and Google play support is very good if anything does go wrong.

Plus points for Android i would say are ease of use and value for money especially the nexus 7. Even if you go for the 16gb direct from Google your still £110 cheaper than the Mini. Best thing you can do is get yourself along to Currys if your unsure and get a play about with them both i can honestly say you won't regret going for the 7, don't listen to what other's say about Android being not user friendly the JB 4.2.1 update adds some really good options into the mix and my 8yr old can fly round the menus like you wouldn't believe.

Get a play with both if you can but even with Google, Google music and films are getting better all the time and no messing around with anything like iTunes which is a blessing in it's own.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah thanks mate. I had the iphone last year and iTunes really puts me off buying anything apple related but I do admit the build quality of Apple products is really good.

I had a look through youtube and looked through some of the comparisons. I guess it's all subjective as some say ipad and some say nexus.

As it's for my kids who are still quite young I think I'll probably opt for the nexus but if it was for an adult I'd probably go for the Ipad mini.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

FYI, the quoted ship date for the iPad mini (from Apple) is 19th December...if nothing goes tits up...2 weeks eh!!! Thats 3!!!

Ive just ordered one as a Christmas prezzie.
    Recent Mac convert...

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Yeah thanks mate. I had the iphone last year and iTunes really puts me off buying anything apple related but I do admit the build quality of Apple products is really good.

I had a look through youtube and looked through some of the comparisons. I guess it's all subjective as some say ipad and some say nexus.

As it's for my kids who are still quite young I think I'll probably opt for the nexus but if it was for an adult I'd probably go for the Ipad min
    i.
    That's what I would do m8 just incase they drop them

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks to ss30

Argyll (29th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find it utterly astonashing how the youth and children of todays generation are so comfortable with technology.

4 year olds using Tablets, playing games, logging int and turning it on. What a leap forward in ability through generations.

When I was 4, erm 43 (ahem) years ago, I was still being bathed by my mother in a steel box my dad got from the local scrappy, over an old coal fire. We used to make fire with sticks and string and play stupid games outdoors.

I wonder where we'll be in another 50 years.

Sorry for hijack
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks to BigBrand

mrphil (1st December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    If money isn't an option, but the iPad Minis.. no Contesto. Better Apps, better user experience, better customer support, more cachet with other kids, higher resale price etc.. I can argue the toss over this all day long as I have a house full of Apple and Android tablets and phones and am a serial gadget junkie.

As are most people on digital forums. A serial gadget junkie is kind of the Modus operandi of members here. Most have moved on from Apple and their lack of pioneering, you are still stuck. If the ipad mini cost the same as the Nexus then we could have the conversation on comparisons. But it is no better than the nexus and costs more.

Everyone will have their preference, but most people prefer Android over iOs these days.

Apps is arguable. I have found nothing on iOS that I can't get on Android for over a year. I have also found most android apps to be free (albeit with ads), that are charged for on iOS.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Only problem with the Nexus 7 IMO is the battery life...it can be a bit shit.

Otherwise its excellent and I use it far more than my ipad!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks to Nibb

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    I find it utterly astonashing how the youth and children of todays generation are so comfortable with technology.

4 year olds using Tablets, playing games, logging int and turning it on. What a leap forward in ability through generations.

When I was 4, erm 43 (ahem) years ago, I was still being bathed by my mother in a steel box my dad got from the local scrappy, over an old coal fire. We used to make fire with sticks and string and play stupid games outdoors.

I wonder where we'll be in another 50 years.

Sorry for hijack
    Long dead. . . . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    But it is no better than the nexus and costs more.

Everyone will have their preference, but most people prefer Android over iOs these days.
    You're speaking in generalisations mate... the iPad Mini is no better than the Nexus 7.. on what metrics?

• The Mini is better engineered with more premium quality components
    • It looks unique, not generic like the Nexus 7
    • Its got a bigger, brighter screen (albeit lower res but at that size who seriously gives a f***) that fills the frame with minimum bezel
    • Will run all prev gen iPad apps at native resolution
    • Its guaranteed to have a higher resale value in 6, 12, 24 months (in the space of a few months the Nexus 7 8GB has gone obsolete and the prices of the remaining models have tumbled)
    • Has a native browser and email client that you will want to use.. unlike that which you get on ICS/Jellybean

I bought a Nexus 7 16GB and kept it for about 3 weeks before getting bored.. the hype was definitely greater than the reality. It hit all the headline specs .. high res, quad core etc.. etc.. but managed to feel cheap and the colour gamut and brightness of the screen were clearly where corners had to be cut to get the pixel count up (you get what you pay for folks.. no surprise). I've since played with the iPad Mini, and its definitely an object of beauty and just feels so right in the hand. The way the screen fills the front of the unit means you're drawn into the content.. as opposed to just peering in. Difficult to explain really.

Anyway, if they were priced the same.. it wouldn't even be worth dicussing... so the major advantage the Nexus 7 has is Price .. and if that really is your strongest driver, and its for kids I would be more tempted to get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.. there are some spectacular offers on, with cash back. Not bleeding edge spec, but well built, good screens and better customer service than Asus/Google.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ipad Mini

Having just bought an iPad mini - I would concur with the above . And I'm no apple fan boy. The picture quality is fantastic watching films / movies . Hdtvtest did a comparison of nexus vs mini screens - despite the high res the colour reproduction on the nexus is well off .
    Both are great gadgets though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had the Nexus 7, sold it after about a month and took a loss.
    Always been an Apple fan and I now have an ipad mini.

BUT it is for the kids. Will they appreciate the iPad over a Nexus 7?

As stated the battery life on the Nexus 7 is poor. This I believe is down to the constant updating of apps etc.. I am sure it is easy enough to turn off though.
    In addition the ipad is easier to use. I have invested so much money in Apps etc.. that I am tied into Apple for the future.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Apps is arguable. I have found nothing on iOS that I can't get on Android for over a year. I have also found most android apps to be free (albeit with ads), that are charged for on iOS.
    I run several devices on both iOS and Android and in my opinion, Android apps are like fisher price versions of similar function or even the same named iOS apps. The iOS ones seem to always work that little bit better. Add to that the play store being an absolute mess then it's horses for courses and really only down to what the individual in question wants from their mobile devices.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post
    I run several devices on both iOS and Android and in my opinion, Android apps are like fisher price versions of similar function or even the same named iOS apps. The iOS ones seem to always work that little bit better. Add to that the play store being an absolute mess then it's horses for courses and really only down to what the individual in question wants from their mobile devices.
    Agreed though I reckon iOS would do well to emulate the 15 no charge feature, not ALL developers subscribe to it but I'm much more likely to try an app on my S1 than my iPad. . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast