Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Fresh health fears over Assange

Mr Assange says he fears being passed on to authorities in the US

Julian Assange, who is living at the Ecuadorean embassy in London, has a chronic lung infection "which could get worse at any moment", the country's ambassador to the UK has warned.

Ana Alban said the Wikileaks founder, who is fighting UK efforts to send him to Sweden, was suffering from living "in a confined space".

Ecuador previously sought assurances he would not be arrested if hospitalised.

The UK said then it would not prevent "any medical care that he requires".

The Australian, 41, who has taken refuge at the embassy since June, was granted asylum by Ecuador in August.

Mr Assange, who has breached bail conditions by staying there, faces arrest if he leaves.

He is wanted for questioning in Sweden over rape and sexual assault allegations, which he denies, and was arrested in the UK on an extradition warrant.

"Mr Assange, as everyone knows, is in a confined space," Ms Alban said.

"Not only does the embassy have few windows but the city is also dark at this time - we have very little daylight in London.

"He is exposed to any health consequences from this lack of sunlight and lack of fresh air."

Meeting hopeMs Alban said Mr Assange received visitors after embassy staff finished work.

"We work until at least 05:30 in the afternoon and, afterwards, he meets with certain people who want to visit him for different reasons whether they be activists, supporters, lawyers or friends."

She said Ecuador was "waiting for a meeting" with either UK Foreign Secretary William Hague or UK Home Secretary Theresa May to discuss Mr Assange's future.

Last month, Ecuadorean ministers said Mr Assange had "visibly lost weight" and that his health was "beginning to be jeopardised".

Mr Assange's Wikileaks website has published leaked sensitive diplomatic cables involving various countries, including the US.

In 2010, two women accused him of committing sexual offences against them while he was in Stockholm to give a lecture.

Mr Assange says the sex was consensual and that he believes the case to be politically motivated.

He says he fears being passed on to authorities in the US if extradited to Sweden.

But Swedish prosecutors have dismissed Mr Assange's claims their case is part of a wider political move to see him stand trial in the US over his work with Wikileaks.

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fresh health fears over Assange

We should just turn a blind eye and let him board a private jet at RAF Northolt. This whole shambolic affair has nothing to do with crimes in Sweden, and everything to do with America seeking revenge for its worldwide humiliation at the hands of a bunch of smart, preppy geeks.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

7 Thanks given to GTI

Ashley (29th November 2012),  BigBird (29th November 2012),  DJ OD (29th November 2012),  Geko (29th November 2012),  JonEp (29th November 2012),  macmilm (29th November 2012),  ZX7R (30th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with GTI, but also feel that Assange is a fame hungry egomaniac.

Everytime I read about wikileaks I think of the forgotten man in this injustice - Bradley Manning.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I agree with GTI, but also feel that Assange is a fame hungry egomaniac.

Everytime I read about wikileaks I think of the forgotten man in this injustice - Bradley Manning.
    Bradley Manning had security clearance and was in a privileged position. He would have signed a declaration under the US Espionage Act of 1917 not to pass on any sensitive information to any third party. Having said that I support what he did up to a point. There is too much being done in our name that we don't know anything about.

There is also a strong argument for upholding the law regarding official secrets. The wrong info in the wrong hands could cause a lot of problems and even lead to a war, or even a world war in which thousands, or millions would be killed. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Bradley Manning had security clearance and was in a privileged position. He would have signed a declaration under the US Espionage Act of 1917 not to pass on any sensitive information to any third party. Having said that I support what he did up to a point. There is too much being done in our name that we don't know anything about.

There is also a strong argument for upholding the law regarding official secrets. The wrong info in the wrong hands could cause a lot of problems and even lead to a war, or even a world war in which thousands, or millions would be killed. (">

I agree. But he hasn't been tried and is locked up for 23 hours of the day in solitary..!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I agree. But he hasn't been tried and is locked up for 23 hours of the day in solitary..!
    I agree that is totally unacceptable. The US are always going on about human rights abuse in other countries. They should look at their own behaviour when it comes to human rights. They also think that torture is ok as long as they do it outside the US; like guantanamo bay for example. They are a law unto themselves. They support aggressors like Israel who are gradually stealing Palestinian land but are too ready to condemn the Palestinians for trying to get justice. I don't condone violence and terrorism, but sometimes it becomes the last resort because their voice is being ignored by the world. (">

Thanks to BigBird

Geko (30th November 2012)