I am experiencing this occasionally when using NAS devices such as Synology or ReadyNAS, I don't work with other brands so it may happen there too.

Occasionally a folder or file denies access to someone. Just now I had this with a Synology where all three users (all on XP) had the message 'Access is denied' when trying to access a subfolder on a network share. All other folders there were accessible as was the share itself. I checked the permissions using the Synology control panel and one of the users was set as the owner with full access but even she could not access it. I overwrote the permissions to grant her and the usergroup full access and it started to work again. I also see this on ReadyNAS devices where the ACL is set to default the owner of any new files or folders to 'nobody' and 'nogroup' granting everyone full read/write access as long as their username or usergroup has access to the share. Yet I still find files being locked so I have to manually 'Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings.'

Does anyone else experience this? Is it a fact of life or can something be done about it? I can understand if a file is being used at the time it may be locked but to prevent access to an entire folder is strange and the users wouldn't have been able to alter these ownership settings.

Cheers