Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default neogeo x hacked already

Having my usual nosey at hackaday I found this

"In case you weren’t aware, there’s a new Neo Geo console on the block. It’s called the Neo Geo X and brings back more than a few pains of nostalgia for classic arcade games of the 90s. After receiving their brand new Neo Geo portables, members of the Neo Geo forum decided to do a teardown on one of their newest consoles and found something interesting: this thing was made for hacking.
    Officially, the Neo Geo X will get new games released on SD cards. The first run of these consoles – the gold edition – have 20 games preloaded onto the system convientently stored on a microSD card buried underneath the screen. After looking at this microSD card, forum user [Lectoid] discovered the 20 preloaded games and the bios for the system, all completely unlocked and ready for hacking.
    Already a few forum members have the AES Unibios running on this tiny portability Neo Geo, giving them the capability to play every Neo Geo game ever made. Since the Neo Geo X uses the same processor as some other handhelds, there’s great hope for completely unlocking this new console and running emulators on it."

http://hackaday.com/2012/12/30/break...eld-wide-open/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default neogeo x hacked already

I still like my original AES over this. The real deal. Although this is a lot cheaper. I must admit i cashed in on a few games that got to insane prices.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: neogeo x hacked already

never knew about this, but after reading, im disappointed Basically SNK (or whoever they are now) took the current dingoo console, rebranded it and used a shitty emu (thats already freely available) with a bunch of roms on the SD card, then hid the SD card so you couldnt fuck about with them.
    Basically, you can get the same console for much less if you buy a proper dingoo and you wont have to take it apart to access the SD card.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: neogeo x hacked already

I've got one of these, it's a nicely made unit, they sourced all the original manufacturers to remake the parts for the joystick etc so the joystick really does play really well, I'll need to get my AES out to do a real comparison, the main unit itself is nothing but a docking station for the handheld, it feels very cheap. The handheld itself feels pretty solid, nice to use, joystick again feels really solid. My only real criticism is that when playing through your tv, as the games are all in their native resolution they just look awful. Playing on the handheld is fine, but stay away from using these on a 50" tv

I don't regret getting one, it's something silly like console #66 in my collection, but certainly couldn't recommend it as anything other than a nostalgia trip on a handheld (which you could probably emulate better anyway ).

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz