Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Legit Office 2010 licence?

I needed a Office 2010 licence for a client and they weren't prepared to pay the £300 odd most places ask so I took to ebay to try my luck and found a 2PC Professional licence for £75. Assuming it was a once used licence/surplus to requirements/from an office clearout I bought it thinking I had done well but they have sent me a copied CD and these instructions:

Spoiler:
    Thank you for buying an item from my shop on eBay. Here are instructions on activating yourproduct.

Please follow these instructions carefully after you have installed Microsoft Office to activate correctly

1. Disconnect the internet, and start word

2. If the activation window appears close it

3. Go to menu File, Help, Change Product Code, and then enter your product key which is
    XXX

4. Untick the "Activate over internet" box at the bottom, and then click "Next"~. After click on
    "Install"

5. When you have finished the installation process, close Microsoft Word and then reopen
    Microsoft Word.

6. An activation window will appear (if not, go to File, Help, Activate)

7. Select the "Phone Activation" option, and click "Next"

8. Pick your country, then ring the toll free number as it is free from home line and follow the
    instructions.

9. When asked for you ID, input the code given in the Word activation window.
    10. When asked for which edition, choose business/volume use, when asked how i
    t was
    installed choose pre-installed, and when asked how many PC's choose lPC.

11. A code will be officially generated and will be given back, and that code given into the
    activation box (They will say the code in blocks)

12. Click "Next", and Office will say that it's activated

13. Close word ( and any other Office 2010 application)

14. Restart word, and go to help to check subscription status

Once again thank you for buying an item from store on eBay. If everything went well, please give us a positive feedback and let us know how things went. If you are having problems please message us on eBay.
    Thank you; we hope to do business with you again!

It looks like he has taken the key from work and sold it on, I assume this isn't now legit for me to use? Just want to check before I chase him for a refund!

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Legit Office 2010 licence?

Definitely not legit, especially if you are using it for a client.

mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks to muttleymacclad

evilsatan (9th January 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thought that was the case but didn't want to complain only to find I was wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you'll find that even if that was a personal one the licence can be activated several times using the phone method so what he's doing is selling the licence over and over. Defiantely complain about it.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Will definitely get flagged when updating. Explain the License is required for a company that needs to produce it's Licenses to Microsoft regularly.
    Demand a refund and report the listing to eBay (once you have the refund of course!)

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have opened an ebay case and the auction was just removed by ebay so looks like someone ordered before me and beat me to complaining too. Now I have to try and source a legit key!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looking at this problem from a different perspective:

I'm now starting out as a mechanic and at the garage often people are shocked at the price of parts (sometimes I can see where they're coming from).

When they ask us to get 2nd hand bits from a scrapyard we explain our policy:

We do not source 2nd hand parts. (If we were to do this and fit them and find they are faulty and even possibly damage other electrics, we end up massively out of pocket before even considering free labour, and the time spent in procurement which no one would pay for anyway).

If we do fit 2nd hand parts we do so on the understanding that if the part turns out to be faulty, we won't be knocking a penny off our labour charge as this means we probably have already spent longer than we should have doing our job due to a customer being a tight arse and it is not our fault if the faulty part means the car is just as bad or worse than it previously was.

On the rare occasions for example we may remove a clutch and the customer may run off to get one himself, we explain what time he is allowed, and if he is late, our hourly charge for preventing us from using that ramp for other jobs.

4 Thanks given to Over Carl

BigBird (10th January 2013),  Dashradio (9th January 2013),  drdude (9th January 2013),  JonEp (10th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I'm now starting out as a mechanic and at the garage often people are shocked at the price of parts (sometimes I can see where they're coming from).
    O/T but whereabouts OC ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Looking at this problem from a different perspective:

When they ask us to get 2nd hand bits from a scrapyard we explain our policy:

We do not source 2nd hand parts. (If we were to do this and fit them and find they are faulty and even possibly damage other electrics, we end up massively out of pocket before even considering free labour, and the time spent in procurement which no one would pay for anyway).

If we do fit 2nd hand parts we do so on the understanding that if the part turns out to be faulty, we won't be knocking a penny off our labour charge as this means we probably have already spent longer than we should have doing our job due to a customer being a tight arse and it is not our fault if the faulty part means the car is just as bad or worse than it previously was.

On the rare occasions for example we may remove a clutch and the customer may run off to get one himself, we explain what time he is allowed, and if he is late, our hourly charge for preventing us from using that ramp for other jobs.
    My m8 has the same policy with his garage business. Guy decided to source his own unbranded Mondeo clutch kit on Ebay which saved him around £80 but it failed after 11 months. He has now had to pay a second labour charge and fork out for an LuK clutch kit which has now been supplied by the garage. (">

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

He is being incredibly insistent that its legit, can anyone link me to some material to help prove my case to eBay? I will tell him I m goin to login to my MSDN and contact the licensing department.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cant you contact Microsoft and send over the instructions he gave you, surely they will be able to see who the code is registered too and tell you if its legitimate for you to use
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I will be contacting Microsoft, the seller is saying it isn't a volume licence key but I can't work out why he didn't send the COA if this was the case. I will await the response from ms once I find an appropriate contact form.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's legit why does it have to be activated by phone and not in the normal manner online? Also i'm pretty certain the licensing terms would not allow him to sell the code on.

mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

His instructions alone show it's not legit, throw him to the Wolves!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is how the scam works (though for 2013 keys)

Call this number for M$ and asked them to identify the key

0800 0188354