Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Atos told incontinent woman to ‘wear nappy’

Atos told incontinent woman to ‘wear nappy’

Thousands of sick or disabled people have died after undergoing assessments to find out whether they were fit to work, the House of Commons was told today.
    Atos, the firm contracted to conduct work capability assessment (WCA) tests for the Government, was condemned by MPs for “ruthlessly” pressurising sick and disabled people into returning to their jobs.
    The debate was told of cases of people who had committed suicide after being stripped of their benefits under the process and of an incontinence sufferer who was told she could return to work wearing a nappy.
    Former Labour minister Michael Meacher opened the debate saying that 1,300 people had died after being placed in the “work-related activity group”, for those currently too ill to be employed but expected to start preparing for an eventual return to work.

A further 2,200 died before the assessment process was completed and 7,100 died after being judged to be entitled to unconditional support because they are too ill or disabled to work.

Mr Meacher asked: “Is it reasonable to pressurise seriously disabled persons into work so ruthlessly when there are already 2.5 million people unemployed and, on average, eight persons chasing every vacancy, unless they are also provided with the active and extensive support they obviously need in order to get and to hold down work, which is certainly not the case at present?”
    Labour’s Iain Wright, MP for Hartlepool, told MPs that one of his constituents, a woman who suffered from Crohn’s disease, had been told she could wear a nappy to work. “What sort of country have we become, what sort of ethical values does the Government have, if that’s the degrading and crass way in which decent law abiding constituents of mine are being dealt with?” he said.
    “All the evidence that I have in my constituency demonstrates that the system is not working and the most vulnerable and ill constituents in Hartlepool are paying the price. The Government is treating my constituents like dirt, it needs to change.”

Shadow Employment minister Stephen Timms said there was no doubt the current arrangements were causing “immense problems and immense anxiety”. He added: “We shouldn’t be allowing this to continue, the system does need fast and fundamental reform.”
    Kevan Jones, a former Labour minister, said suicides of claimants who were found fit to work by Atos had been reported. “There are...a number of well-publicised cases where people have taken their own lives because of this system,” he said. “It is not too strong to say that this Coalition Government has blood on their hands for the deaths of those individuals.”

A spokeswoman for Atos Healthcare said: “We know that this can be a difficult process for people and we do all we can to make sure the service we provide is as professional and compassionate as possible. We have been doing this work...for over a decade and our doctors, nurses and physiotherapists are fully trained and experienced, with many coming directly from the NHS.”

Victory in vain: Cancer patient’s fight

Cecilia Burns, 51, from Northern Ireland died last summer shortly after winning her campaign to get her benefits reinstated.
    Ms Burns, who was being treated for breast cancer, had her benefits cut by £30 a week after an assessment by Atos. She started a campaign to have the decision overturned but died shortly after the money was reinstated.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...y-8456447.html

Well done cuntservatives ! You can be proud of yourselves.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

3 Thanks given to 4me2

Bald Bouncer (17th January 2013),  blaggard (18th January 2013),  Over Carl (18th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Atos told incontinent woman to ‘wear nappy’

Much truth is spoken when you're in opposition

"There's a lot we need to do in this party of ours. Our base is too narrow and so, occasionally, are our sympathies. You know what some people call us -- the Nasty Party."
    - MP Theresa May, October 2002
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Fucking ATOS need killing slowly and painfully to a man..
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

2 Thanks given to blaggard

4me2 (17th January 2013),  reverend (18th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you will find it was the last Labour gov who signed the contract with Atos.

Now, it’s worth remembering that the work capability assessment was set up under the last Labour government, and the contract with Atos was renewed in November 2010. A spokeswoman for Iain Duncan Smith made that point when she responded to the letter today, saying:
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeeh...-say-auditors/
    Last edited by JonEp; 18th January 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks to JonEp

Goldberg (18th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Both the wife and I have had the 'pleasure' of being interview by this shower of sh!t.
    We both saw the same woman (on different occasions for different reasons), she couldn't've been more rude and condescending. Quite honestly, her attitude stunk, she sat there all bolshie with and air of 'I don't believe a word you're saying and nothing you can say will change my mind'. I passed out twice in the interview and she had the cheek to infer I was faking it, by saying I was 'putting on a good show'.

Thanks to sinister_monk

Rick Sanchez (18th January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by sinister_monk View Post
    Both the wife and I have had the 'pleasure' of being interview by this shower of sh!t.
    We both saw the same woman (on different occasions for different reasons), she couldn't've been more rude and condescending. Quite honestly, her attitude stunk, she sat there all bolshie with and air of 'I don't believe a word you're saying and nothing you can say will change my mind'. I passed out twice in the interview and she had the cheek to infer I was faking it, by saying I was 'putting on a good show'.
    But they're HIGHLY qualified. . .NOT!!

2 Thanks given to blaggard

Rick Sanchez (18th January 2013),  sinister_monk (18th January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    I think you will find it was the last Labour gov who signed the contract with Atol.
    Very true but nothing id being done about by the incumbent shambles even in the face of Public Opinion and Press Reports. .

Thanks to blaggard

JonEp (18th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Atol? You mean Atos..
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks to Goldberg

JonEp (18th January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

dont give 'atos'

scored me 9 out of 15 for my broken heel, now fit for work, yet jobcentre forced me on to ESA otherwise would suspend my payments as my capability of work was reduced and i would cause a hazard on crutches.

then theres members of my wifes family, who are fucked in the head with mental health issues and they score 0.

they are just either polish doctors or doctors paid a fair bit to come out of retirement and do some part time work, independent my ass, its all a fix!
    they need to get the number of people off benefits down, so they do anything to do this, inturn causing uproar and people who are truly meant to be on the sick are forced in to work, as they have no choice as they stop any money you get!

fuck um, i appealed mine, and they reinstated my money whilst the appeal is processed and sent to tribunal. When im actually fit and ready ill find work, and ive also been applying for jobs in the meantime just incase i get offered!