Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

microsoft Six features we expect from Microsoft's next Xbox

Call it Xbox 720. Call it Xbox Infinity. You can even call it Durango, for that's its internal codename at Microsoft. Whatever, the next Xbox (or Xbox Next, as we'll call it in this piece) is on its way. Microsoft is absolutely not discussing the subject, but the cluster of games releasing early 2013 and the deafening silence from summer onwards, plus unending industry gossip, suggests an E3 reveal and a Christmas release. Based on the best available facts, a little inside knowledge and a few of the most realistic rumours, here's a little entirely unofficial guesswork from Jeremy Laird on what to expect from the most important new gaming device of the next decade.

1. A more powerful CPU

What was once cutting-edge, courtesy of three processor cores and one of the first graphics processors with unified shaders, is now beginning to bump up against the imaginations of game designers.

On the CPU side, there are three obvious options in terms of processor core design: ARM, as used in smartphones; the x86 tech used in PCs and the original Xbox; or PowerPC, the CPU used in the Xbox 360. In many ways, it doesn't matter. All three architectures are more than capable of getting the job done. The only issue is backwards compatibility for existing Xbox 360 titles - something that Microsoft's unlikely to sacrifice, in these budget-conscious times - which could be solved by including some PowerPC cores.

Our bet is four x86 or PowerPC cores running at between 2GHz and 4GHz depending. But it's not the CPU cores that will do most to transform Xbox Next's gaming prowess. Nope, that'll be graphics and memory.

2. A high-capacity optical drive

With Xbox 360 games now routinely coming on multiple DVDs, Blu-ray is the likely choice for the Xbox Next's optical drive. It's Sony tech, which will sting a bit, but it can store huge amounts of data and is a lot cheaper than it used to be. But with games increasingly being delivered and played online, does it actually need one?

Yes, is the short answer - spotty broadband provision means the world isn't yet ready for a console that delivers games exclusively online. One plausible option is two versions, one with and one without Blu-ray, the former eventually being phased out.

3. Augmented reality headset

Headsets that provide augmented reality functionality have shown up in leaked Microsoft documentation, and are being extensively investigated by the notoriously forward-looking folks at Valve. It's likely to debut as an optional extra rather than a mandatory install, but the potential is enormous, from seeing yourself interact with game worlds to in-game characters coming into your living room.

While the standard controller is unlikely to go anywhere, it might be joined by a new touchscreen model. Although it could be that Microsoft continues down the SmartGlass route, and sticks to using your existing tablet or mobile phone.

4. More detailed graphics

Xbox 360 has an ATI 3D chip that's still doing a remarkably good job. But seven years is an eternity in graphics chip design. The Xbox Next's graphics processor will be a huge step forward. The minimum target is super-smooth performance at full 1080p HD resolution, something the Xbox 360 doesn't always achieve.

We know the graphics will be supplied by AMD, and we expect it to be based on AMD's latest Radeon HD 7000 graphics architecture. It probably won't have the raw grunt of AMD's most powerful graphics chip, the 7970, but the more streamlined and game-optimised nature of Xbox Next compared to PC will ensure it punches well above its weight.

Stunning graphics are a given. But look out for incredibly detailed object and character surfaces thanks to support for a triangle-bashing technology known as tessellation. It's a feature that allows for orders of magnitude more geometric detail than the Xbox 360 can muster.

5. A lot more memory

CPUs and graphics chips grab all the headlines when it comes to new games console specs. But if anything is holding Xbox 360 back, it's memory limitations. The console's CPU and graphics chip share just 512MB between them.

That's a serious limitation for devs creating larger and more detailed game worlds. But it's not just how much memory the Xbox 360 has that's the problem. It's how fast it is, too. Xbox 360 has a little over 20GB-per-second of total bandwidth, for both CPU and GPU. Xbox Next will have between 4GB and 8GB and bandwidth that will very likely be well into triple-digits for GB-per-second.

The result will be the capability to render massive, lifelike worlds on a scale that Xbox 360 simply cannot contemplate. Level loading will be much less frequent, too, and simulation will take a leap forward - expect a deeper level of interaction with game worlds, once developers have got their heads around harnessing the technology.

6. Kinect 2.0

A new camera with improved accuracy and the ability to track four players is expected for Kinect 2.0. The upgrade is also expected to give your Xbox a broader field of view and the ability to track motions and gestures whether you're sitting or standing.

Source

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

greens117 (19th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Six features we expect from Microsoft's next Xbox

Guess I better get saving !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If the current xbox (durango) rumours pan out, its a 8 core amd processor (2 cores for os\kinect), 8gb DDR3 ram (3 reserved for os) and a mid range discreate gpu. The sony orbis rumours are for a higher spec games machine with a 0.6 flop better gpu.

I'm not too concerned with paper specs, as the 360 looked out gunned on paper but still was comparable to the ps3 and my machine of choice this last generation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df...xt-gen-console

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know what I'll be getting myself for xmas next year

Thanks
    Karma Level

7. Reliable Hardware

2 Thanks given to Chubbs

raelmadrid (19th January 2013),  Sanj[UK] (19th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

This will without doubt be my first launch day console, love the whole xbox live setup, how it works online etc

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lloydi View Post
    This will without doubt be my first launch day console, love the whole xbox live setup, how it works online etc
    I agree, I used to get all consoles on release and now I just feel the others are playing catch up, I just couldn't get on with Playstation 3 and as much as I hear the arguments and fanboys bang on about how this is better, that looks/plays better and can often agree I just don't like the experience as a whole or more so given a choice there is no argument I would go for Xbox every time and the PS3 would sit there not being played.

For me microsoft just do the whole live side and shared gaming experience way better.

7 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Armoured Hawk (19th January 2013),  dannyboy (19th January 2013),  lithho (19th January 2013),  lloydi (19th January 2013),  macmilm (19th January 2013),  Thalamus (21st January 2013),  TheFincher (19th January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i got given a PS3, tried a game on it and found out you needed to install to play which annoyed me as it just felt like a PC game, then after installing it i tried to play the game and it crashed after 10 mins, then restarted and played for an hour and decided i didnt like how light the controller felt, never used it since, didnt like the interface much either

for the game storage i dont see why they dont use HD-DVD, the technology is available, im not suggesting they use it for films but it was a high storage space medium which would be suited for storage of game data, then they stick to offering: netflix, lovefilm, sky etc. and they aint giving money to Sony?
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gotta agree wi some o the comments here... Also had a PS3 for few months and even tho it is better than the 360 on paper it just didnt deliver at all
    Not sure why I didnt get on with it as I dont even use live much at all
    I think the xbox is more of a hardcore gamers machine and really does its job well whereas the PS3 seem more like one for the sony fanboys and knobs who think the most expensive one has to be the best.
    TBH the wii wasnt my cup o tea either but it outlasted the PS3 10 times over

Later I ended up gettin a PS3 for my oldest 3 to have at their mums... it aint been on for months lol . My oldest has an xbox in his bedroom and they all just go in there .

So long as M$ dont fook up the reliability again I reckon it will be tops!!
    Just me 2p

Thanks
    Karma Level

One feature I expect in the new XBox - shitty lead-free solder with a CPU attached by BGA array and not enough cooling. They still won't fucking learn after the XBox 360 or the PS3. Even Intel are talking about attaching i3 Haswell CPUs using BGA in the future.

Idiots.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Six features we expect from Microsoft's next Xbox

Mate bga is the norm . Lead free solder is also the norm and trouble free these days . Ive worked with it for over a decade . Don't believe all you read . Trouble with the Internet - every body thinks they are an expert on all everything by reading articles churned out by self appointed experts who know jack shit.
    However, under cooling a big fat cutting edge bga is asking for trouble .
    Apply the tech properly and it's fine . Microsoft showed they were a software company with the last Xbox . Hopefully they will fare better next time

Thanks to braymond

greens117 (21st January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey, I've seen more than enough PS3s and 360s that need reflowing to see a pattern forming. I don't profess to be an expert, I go off what I have seen with my own eyes. Intel are talking about soldering the Haswell i3 to motherboards for the low end market and in that market, price is everything. If they can save a few quid on the heatsink, they will and that's where the problems will start.

Sony and Microsoft got hit with a load of RMAs due to 'lights of death' - I hope that they have learned from these mistakes, otherwise they are headed for trouble. as they are moving rapidly to downloaded software and online games with DRM - they need to soak test any prototypes by stress testing them to maximum, to ensure that the cooling systems can cope.

Thanks to WotTheFook

macmilm (20th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

4 of the 6 things are painfully fucking obvious aren't they? And a revision of Kinect wont exactly raise eyebrows.

I cant say I am excited about the prospect of more of the same with better graphics so I hope they pull something special out the bag.

Thanks to {{909}}

scoobypatch (21st January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wonder what anti piracy measures Microsoft will take? The 360 had been an utter disaster in that respect. I also think the Kinect has great potential but developers seemed obsessed with copying Wii games. I've got a PS3 and a 360 and it's still the 360 that gets the most use. It's the faggoty little PS3 controllers. I just can't get on with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I wonder what anti piracy measures Microsoft will take? The 360 had been an utter disaster in that respect.
    Propaganda, I can tell you for a fact less than 5% of the first Xbox ever got modified and the percentage is a lot less with Xbox 360 this is why they are after the second hand market as they have finally realised that the 'pirate' market is not a lost sale at all it's a non existent sale and more so probably generates sales rather than loses them sales for them. the second hand market is a totally different matter and should they take actions to try and block the resale I think you will see this challenged in the European courts as they have already indicated they will rule with the consumer on this.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

braymond (22nd January 2013),  lithho (22nd January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought M$ did a bloody good job with anti piracy. Yes the firmware was a big fuck up but they kept taking measures all the way through.
    They sure didnt make it easy anyway!

No software hacks like the good old xbox 1

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They secured the 360 very well - I'm sure they missed the DVD security as no one had hacked the Xbox 1 firmware when the 360 went into production but did shortly after - and the same method worked for 360. They did a good job with the hypervisor etc .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WotTheFook View Post
    One feature I expect in the new XBox - shitty lead-free solder with a CPU attached by BGA array and not enough cooling. They still won't fucking learn after the XBox 360 or the PS3. Even Intel are talking about attaching i3 Haswell CPUs using BGA in the future.

Idiots.
    I thought they had to use lead-free solder as toys are not allowed to contain lead, and a games console is classed as a toy??

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Lead free is required in most countries now regardless of product

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be fair MS were pretty good with their anti piracy methods, shooting the gamer down and taking away what they wanted forced them to buy more consoles and games, they seemed to show an element of control too, timing their ban hammer for maximum effect. In the past it was only hardware hack manufacturers that saw any action.