Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Barry George loses compensation case

Barry George, who was wrongly convicted of the murder of BBC TV presenter Jill Dando, has lost a bid to win compensation.

Mr George, who spent eight years in prison before being cleared after a retrial, was one of five example cases heard at the High Court.

The cases will help set the boundaries of what amounts to a miscarriage of justice meriting compensation.

It follows a ruling at the Supreme Court in 2011.

Nine Supreme Court judges considered appeals by three men, not including Mr George, who said they had wrongly been refused compensation after their murder convictions were overturned.

Their judgement in those cases redefined the legal meaning of what amounted to a miscarriage of justice after debating when compensation should be awarded to wrongly-convicted people.

Mr George's claim for damages for lost earnings and wrongful imprisonment was initially rejected by the Ministry of Justice, on the basis he was not legally entitled to compensation.

One of the men won his challenge at this latest High Court hearing. Ian Lawless, who spent eight years in prison for murder before being freed by the Court of Appeal in 2009, will now have his case reconsidered.

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Barry George loses compensation case

Hang on. He did all that time because there was a fuck up. How can he not be entitled to compensation?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Barry George loses compensation case

I though that there was a set amount (per day) of compensation that you were entitled to after being wrongly convicted?

Sent From TapaTalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Absolutely disgraceful !

I hope he takes it to the European courts and wins.

I really fail to see what the judges were fucking thinking but there again they also got it fucking wrong when they banged him up.

Miscarriage of justice twice over and makes me feel sick to the stomach knowing that these cunts can get it so wrong again.

Who is judging the judges ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Absolutely disgraceful !

I hope he takes it to the European courts and wins.

I really fail to see what the judges were fucking thinking but there again they also got it fucking wrong when they banged him up.

Miscarriage of justice twice over and makes me feel sick to the stomach knowing that these cunts can get it so wrong again.

Who is judging the judges ?
    Obviously political and shows how corrupt our justice system is with judgements nearly always going with Government and big business, they know full well who did it and won't go after them because of this.

Also the charging board and lodging to wrongly convicted people is a fucking joke and akin to a kidnapper requesting it.

3 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

4me2 (25th January 2013),  lithho (27th January 2013),  tombott (28th January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Remember some time ago somebody got compensation then they charged him £ for being kept inside and deducted it from total fkn joke

jag

I'm not racist i hate everybody

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looking at this another way is this not a case of the courts letting it be known that they know full well that the people who've been freed are actually guilty but they have just managed to get out on a technicality? I have a cousin who works in law and he was saying a lot of people freed are actually guilty of the crime and the police and the courts know this.. its just that they have been freed because someone fucked the process up somewhere along the line and made the case void, I'm not saying this is what happened here as I don't know the details but it would make sense to have a way to deny those cases compensation.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats exactly what the bbc reported, that he could have been convicted by another jury vand that he was not innocent beyond doubt with a witness placing him at the scene.

Sounds like the judge may consider him free on a technicality

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zippeyrude View Post
    Thats exactly what the bbc reported, that he could have been convicted by another jury vand that he was not innocent beyond doubt with a witness placing him at the scene.

Sounds like the judge may consider him free on a technicality
    Even if he were it doesn't excuse the 3 or 4 year wait for this to get to court.

It also doesn't excuse the fact he put away in the first place if they didn't do things properly.

I personally think he should be suing all 12 of the jury members for compensation and the fucking judge/judges.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Total joke there was no way he did it and the police knew that after he was arrested and his house searched but they decided to make the 'evidence' fit the crime due to public pressure to do so and seemed quite happy to lock up an innocent man to save face.

Due process, handling of evidence, search procedure etc are systems to protect the innocent if there is no recourse when these are abused they just continue so what they call a 'technicality' is often an abuse of process/procedure that's outcome is often the reason innocent people rot in prison for years, don't think this is rare as it is common place to massage evidence, statements and falsify records to get a conviction you only hear of it when they can get to appeal, a high profile case or it's so obviously a miscarriage of justice in the public's eye's.

This needs to stop and Police and
    prosecutors need to face the same justice they profess to uphold and not have this abuse given the green light by corrupt Judges and courts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

There is something fucked up about this

'Previously, compensation was only awarded for a miscarriage of justice if a claimant could effectively prove they were innocent.'

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? It's for the prosecution to prove guilt not the other way round. Doesn't matter if it's a technicality or not, the prosecution failed to prove his guilt therefore he is innocent and should have got compensation.

BP
    How about a positive LSD story? Would you like to see a positive LSD story on the news to hear what's it all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting just once?

"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather".

Bill Hicks

2 Thanks given to big-paul

4me2 (25th January 2013),  super mike (25th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not saying he did it but what's peoples thoughts on who actually did it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    Not saying he did it but what's peoples thoughts on who actually did it?
    Assassinated by a Serbian hitman on the orders of Slobodan Milosevic is a good a guess as any but one thing is for sure it was a professional hit, nothing about the way it was done makes sense for it to have been done by Barry George

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pretty sure he would win if he takes it to the European Courts Of Human Rights e.t.c
    Hope he shafts this country, poor sod !!

Thanks to macmilm

4me2 (26th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Poor sod? Have you seen his previous rap sheet, paints a certain image and that isn't all sweetness and light (shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia):

In 1980, George failed in his attempt to join the Metropolitan Police. Shortly after, he posed as a policeman, having obtained false warrant cards. For this he was arrested and prosecuted. In May 1980,[7] he appeared in court clad in glam rock clothing and untruthfully stated his name to be Paul Gadd, a revival of his Gary Glitter fixation[13] and the name under which he was charged. At Kingston Magistrates' Court he was convicted and fined £25.[8] George was charged and in June 1981,[7] acquitted of indecent assault against one woman, and convicted of indecent assault against another woman, for which he received a three-month sentence, suspended[14] for two years.[6]
    In March 1983 George was convicted at the Old Bailey under the pseudonym of 'Steve Majors' for the February 1982 attempted rape of a woman in Acton,[7] for which he served 18 months of a 33-month sentence.[6][14] On 10 January 1983,[7] as was revealed after his arrest for the Dando murder, George had been found in the grounds of Kensington Palace, at that time the home of Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales. He had been discovered hiding in the grounds wearing a balaclava and carrying 50 feet of rope, a 12 inch hunting knife,[6] and in possession of a poem he had written to Prince Charles.[11]
    On 2 May 1989[6] at Fulham[15] register office,[6] George married a 35-year-old[7] Japanese student, Itsuko Toide, in what Toide described as a marriage "of convenience – but nonetheless violent and terrifying."[16] After four months she reported to the police that he assaulted her. On 29 October 1989, George was arrested and charged, but the case was dropped and did not go to court;[7] the marriage ended[14] in April 1990.[8] Toide moved back to Japan.[6]
    In April 1990, and again in January 1992, George was arrested and charged with indecent assault. Neither case went to court.[7]
    Before his trial, George was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome.[17] Prosecution psychologists studying George since his arrest for the Dando murder concluded that he was suffering from several different personality disorders: antisocial, histrionic, narcissistic and possibly paranoid.[7] stating that he has an IQ of 75 and suffers from epilepsy.[13] George has also been likened to a "lone obsessive, Walter Mitty-type figure" for his desire to impersonate famous figures.[18]

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Poor sod? Have you seen his previous rap sheet, paints a certain image and that isn't all sweetness and light (shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia):
    He is a nutcase but still deserves to be compensated for the injustices against him.

Thanks to Ashley

big-paul (26th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by saintashley View Post
    He is a nutcase but still deserves to be compensated for the injustices against him.
    Is it injustice or got of on technicality ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
    Is it injustice or got of on technicality ??
    I can't believe anyone who has read details on the case and Barry George can still even question his innocence.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

4me2 (26th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I can't believe anyone who has read details on the case and Barry George can still even question his innocence.
    Well to tell the truth I have not read all the details but I believe there are some who still say he had done it ...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Considering he has Asburgers I dont find the quotes above that shocking..... far from Murder though ! Still deserves compo IMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast