Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News MP 'sorry' over Israel criticism

Mr Ward had originally stood by his comments

A Liberal Democrat MP who accused "the Jews" in Israel of "inflicting atrocities on Palestinians... on a daily basis" has apologised for the "unintended offence".

Bradford East MP David Ward said in a blog post he had been "trying to make clear that everybody needs to learn the lessons of the Holocaust".

He had made his initial comments ahead of Sunday's Holocaust Memorial Day.

On Friday, his party "condemned" his "use of language".

He was also summoned to a meeting with party whips next week.

Last week he said he was "saddened that the Jews, who suffered unbelievable levels of persecution during the Holocaust, could within a few years of liberation from the death camps be inflicting atrocities on Palestinians in the new State of Israel and continue to do so on a daily basis in the West Bank and Gaza".

But in a blog posting on Saturday he apologised, saying: "I never for a moment intended to criticise or offend the Jewish people as a whole, either as a race or as a people of faith, and apologise sincerely for the unintended offence which my words caused.

"I recognise, of course, the deep sensitivities of these issues at all times, and particularly on occasions of commemoration such as this weekend."

He said his criticisms "of actions since 1948 in the Palestinian territories in the name of the state of Israel remain as strong as ever".

He added: "I will continue to make criticisms of actions in Palestine in the strongest possible terms for as long as Israel continues to oppress the Palestinian people."

In the article published on his website on Friday, Mr Ward had looked ahead to Holocaust Memorial Day, which marks the 68th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz concentration camp.

More than one million people - mostly Jews - died at the camp.

'Reprimand regrettable'The article said he supported efforts "to combat prejudice and racism today" by the Holocaust Educational Trust and had honoured "those who were persecuted and killed during the Holocaust" by signing "a book of commitment".

His initial comments drew criticism from his own party, as well as the Holocaust Educational Trust and the Board of Deputies of British Jews.

Mr Ward had, at first, reacted by telling BBC News he had chosen his words carefully and did not regret the timing of the statement.

"I've spoken to the chief whip and he's got his views. I don't feel bad about it in any way. They consider my comments regrettable - I consider their reprimand regrettable," he added.

BBC News

Shameful how the Jews enforce control over media and political statements trying to make sure the 'Elephant in the room' is never mentioned, he has no doubt had massive pressure put on him to apologise and I even emailed him to congratulate him on having the balls to not only make the statement but stand by it :(

Children throwing rocks in Ireland at the moment how do you think the rest of the world would react if they started shooting and killing them because that's exactly what Israel is doing on a daily basis to Palestinian children without even getting into the fact they are an invading force in another country.

3 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

GTI (27th January 2013),  Over Carl (26th January 2013),  Percy Sugden (27th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: MP 'sorry' over Israel criticism

I'm pretty sure only a death threat to him or his family could force this speedy 180.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

2 Thanks given to 4me2

GTI (27th January 2013),  Over Carl (27th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    He was also summoned to a meeting with party whips next week.
    The poor bastard. The pro-Israel lobby is a high professional, well funded outfit who can unleash the gates of hell on any hapless individual brave enough to challenge Jewish apartheid.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

Bald Bouncer (27th January 2013),  the.insane (27th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

He's right tho.... Isrealis do commit attrocities on a daily basis !
    As a nation the have hidden behind the 'victim' card way way too long IMHO
    They stopped being the victims decades ago

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Sunday Politics show will be discussing this. David Ward and George Galloway are on. Should be fun.

Did anyone watch the Louis Theroux doc on Isreal/Palestine? A nice introduction to what goes on there every day, if you didn't know.

Thanks to Percy Sugden

Bald Bouncer (27th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    He's right tho.... Isrealis do commit attrocities on a daily basis !
    As a nation the have hidden behind the 'victim' card way way too long IMHO
    They stopped being the victims decades ago
    Yes he's right but what he has done is worse than saying nothing at all as most people never read past the carefully chosen headline by the BBC 'MP 'sorry' over Israel criticism' so just presume he was wrong, the destruction of people who criticise Jews or the state of Israel is sickening as is the way the world sits back and ignores the genocide.

6 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

BigBird (13th February 2013),  GTI (27th January 2013),  macmilm (27th January 2013),  Over Carl (27th January 2013),  Percy Sugden (27th January 2013),  plug1 (13th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can barely believe what I'm reading, If the party whip is removed he is effectively cast outside of the LibDem party and could potentially lose his seat. Have no doubt, this is a very dangerous state of affairs when a religious minority can unseat a democratically elected MP using a highly emotive spin campaign. I have already written an email expressing my support and solidarity with this gentleman... please do the same.

David Ward summoned by Clegg after 'Jews' comments
    13 February 2013Last updated at 15:01

Lib Dem MP David Ward has been summoned to a meeting with Nick Clegg following a series of controversial comments he has made about Jews.

The BBC understands the Lib Dems have invoked full disciplinary proceedings against the Bradford East MP.
    He has already been reprimanded over remarks he made on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day about Israel and "Jewish atrocities" against Palestinians.
    The MP said there was a "difference of opinion" with his party over the issue.
    Mr Ward was forced to apologise two weeks ago after sparking a storm of protest when he said on his website that he was "saddened that the Jews, who suffered unbelievable levels of persecution during the Holocaust, could within a few years of liberation from the death camps, be inflicting atrocities on Palestinians...and continue to do so".
    'Form of words'Mr Ward initially defended his comments and said his party's response had been "regrettable" but later apologised for the "unintended offence" which his words had caused.
    He has insisted that neither he nor his comments were anti-semitic.
    But there was subsequent controversy when a Jewish newspaper reported Mr Ward had asked if it would satisfy his critics if he changed the wording to read "the Jewish community" instead of "the Jews."

The party has confirmed that its Chief Whip, Alistair Carmichael, met with Mr Ward on Monday and intended to have further meetings "as part of a disciplinary process".
    The BBC's political correspondent Tim Reid said one of the sanctions available to the leadership if their differences are not resolved would be to remove the party whip from Mr Ward, temporarily or permanently.
    But Mr Ward, who was elected to Parliament in 2010, said it was "completely fair" that he was being called to a meeting with his leader and acknowledged there was a "difference of opinion" over whether he had infringed the party's standing orders.

'But he told the BBC that in his view he was "not being allowed to apologise" by his critics.
    "I have already apologised," he said. "It's a question about finding a form of words that makes it possible for me to continue to ask questions about these things that are allowed to happen year after year."
    On his Twitter page, the MP has argued that it is not "a state that demolishes a house but a person - this is about how (not all!) persecuted become persecutors".
    Mr Ward also claims that he has had 5,000 emails recently supporting his comments about the plight of the Palestinians.
    The disciplinary hearing with the deputy prime minister and the party's deputy leader Simon Hughes is expected to take place next week, once Mr Clegg returns from his current trip to Africa.
    Speaking in the House of Commons on Tuesday, Mr Clegg said he was "unambiguous in my condemnation of anyone, from whatever party including my own, who uses insensitive, intemperate, provocative and offensive language".

Source
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

Bald Bouncer (13th February 2013),  beansontoast (14th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

What he should have done is criticised Israel not Jews that was the mistake and he should have apologised for that alone, I am not surprised they are going all out for his blood we have seen that before you are not allowed to criticise anything done by Israel and I also understand why he said Jews as virtually to man/woman they condone this action trying in some twisted way to always bring up the Holocaust as if that is some sort of defence to what Israel is doing now.

I can't see him getting a mass of support due to his apology after and it looking more like him baying for voters support than real concern over the issues (my view due to his apology and maybe others).

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

beansontoast (14th February 2013),  GTI (13th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    What he should have done is criticised Israel not Jews that was the mistake and he should have apologised for that alone
    The problem is that in order to make the analogy between Nazi persecution of Jews, you need to use the same term. Israel itself is a pretty fractious society, with a lot of non-zionist Jews and an Arab population of about 20%.
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I will also send an email to this MP and also find someone in that party to complain to. Clegg is the main one I suppose but it wouldn't get any personal attention.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

GTI (14th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

How to win support of the electorate as a white Christian in a densley populated muslim area of Yorkshire.

Cheap shot by a politician, which is a shame because there are real issues, but I tend to think the MP is just another selfserving prick and far from being a gentleman.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    How to win support of the electorate as a white Christian in a densley populated muslim area of Yorkshire.
    Or he's doing his job i.e. representing the views of his constituents on a wider platform. I used to live in Brent North (NW London) and my MP Barry Gardiner was a member of the Labour Friends of Israel, much to my displeasure.
    -Benjamin Franklin