Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Alcoholism vaccine will give drinkers an immediate hangover if they drink

Alcoholism vaccine will give drinkers an immediate hangover if they drink even a small amount of booze

• The vaccine would be effective for between six months and a year
    • It sends a message to the liver not to express genes that metabolize alcohol
    • Trials on mice begin next month with human tests planned for November

A vaccine being developed in Chile will give anyone who drinks alcohol and immediate hangover

A new vaccine will give anyone who drinks even a small amount of alcohol an immediate and very heavy hangover.
    Scientists from the University of Chile have spent a year designing the drug in a bid to tackle the growing problem of alcoholism in the country.

The vaccine, which would be effective for between six months and a year, works by sending a biochemical message to the liver telling it not to express genes that metabolise alcohol.

Normally, the liver turns alcohol into the hangover-causing compound called acetaldehyde which is then broken down by a metabolising enzyme.
    If someone who’s been vaccinated tries to drink alcohol, they will immediately experience severe nausea, accelerated heartbeat, and general discomfort.
    Once the vaccine has been administered it cannot be reversed.

A preclinical trial using mice to determine the correct dosing is due to begin next month with researchers hoping to begin tests on human subjects in November.

The vaccine, which would be effective for between six months and a year, works by sending a biochemical message to the liver telling it not to express genes that metabolise alcohol

Dr. Juan Asenjo, director of the university's Institute for Cell Dynamics and Biotechnology said while the vaccine is not a cure-all, it could provide an important first step.
    He told the Santiago Times newspaper: 'People who end up alcoholic have a social problem; a personality problem because they’re shy, whatever, and then they are depressed, so it’s not so simple.

Clanger: The hangover vaccine would be effective for between six months and a year

'But if we can solve the chemical, the basic part of the problem, I think it could help quite a bit.
    'In Chile, according to the most recent 2011 study from the World Health Organization, one in 15 men have an alcohol use disorder.

Dr Asenjo belives the vaccine has the potential to help millions of people worldwide.
    He added: 'If it works, it’s going to have a worldwide impact, but with many vaccines one has to test them carefully. I think the chances that this one will work are quite high.'
    Inspiration for the vaccine came from the far East, said Asenjo, where between 15 and 20 pwer cent of Japanese, Chinese or Koreans have a mutation which inhibits the breakdown of alcohol in their bodies.
    The idea of using drugs to combat alcoholism is not new.
    Disulfiram, which was developed almost a century ago works in a similar way blocking the enzyme from breaking down alcohol, thus intensifying the body’s negative response.
    However users often find the effects so unpleasant they simply stop taking the pills.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks to 4me2

darkstar (27th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Alcoholism vaccine will give drinkers an immediate hangover if they drink

Silly idea.
    Should have a cure for hangovers. That's what the public want! Drink more not less

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Alcoholism vaccine will give drinkers an immediate hangover if they drink

Quote Originally Posted by j80tdb View Post
    Silly idea.
    Should have a cure for hangovers. That's what the public want! Drink more not less
    You obviously don't have/had any contact with an alcoholic, they can ruin more than just their own lives.

Any vaccine that can deter an alcoholic from drinking has to be a good thing.

6 Thanks given to Rhinoz

corskey (27th January 2013),  DJ OD (27th January 2013),  Over Carl (27th January 2013),  rids (27th January 2013),  sam15 (27th January 2013),  SiE (27th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

A friend of mine drank herself to death on a bottle of gin a day believe me seeing some one on there death bed through drink is not a pleasant sight ...you basically starve to death as your body just shuts down ... If this was a option for her maybe she would be alive today

Thanks
    Karma Level

how did they know the mice had a hangover ? cravings for bacon cobs and not wanting to get up in the morning I bet.

Ted
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

2 Thanks given to BIG-TED

CallmeGoose (27th January 2013),  DJ OD (27th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

They should make such a drug compulsory for any alcohol related convictions as well.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    They should make such a drug compulsory for any alcohol related convictions as well.
    Very Orwellian.

The only way to do that would be if you could place some of the responsibility of a crime on the consumption of alcohol and by doing so remove some of the responsibility from the person who committed the crime.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Very Orwellian.

The only way to do that would be if you could place some of the responsibility of a crime on the consumption of alcohol and by doing so remove some of the responsibility from the person who committed the crime.
    Like drink driver repeat offenders.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My half brother died to alcoholism, cunt even went on Jeremy Kyle show and started trying to blame my old man for leaving them 30+ years ago which is why he's now an alcoholic lol.

They tried putting him in rehab but the sad cunt wouldn't follow through with treatment, there's no helping some people.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

Thanks to consoles

j80tdb (27th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very Orwellian.

Yes maybe. I didn't really explain what I meant too well with my original post.

I meant more in cases where say a wife has been beaten by her husband who has a drink problem. Or maybe where someone was assaulted or killed by a drunk person. Even maybe repeat drink drivers. Something like that.

I guess it could be an option, perhaps not totally compulsory. A bit like that chemical castration that some sex offenders get.

Of course all these things can be abused or even passed to innocent people. Just like anything involving the law, courts and the police. Still it's a nice dream...

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very Orwellian.

Or if we consider the consumption of alcohol a priviledge and not a right - that way if people have shown themselves to be incapable of handling themselves under the influence they have the priviledge removed from them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Or if we consider the consumption of alcohol a priviledge and not a right - that way if people have shown themselves to be incapable of handling themselves under the influence they have the priviledge removed from them.
    That's ok but I think we maybe forgetting the word addiction here.

Can you force an addict to let themselves be injected with a substance that will make them ill if they drink for six months ?

Even if they stay clean for six months they will always battle with the addiction.

I think the human rights courts might also have something against it too, if forced upon someone.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The fella in the flat next to mine years ago was an alchoholic and he was sound when sober but an absolute bellend when pissed (not violent or anything just a fucking nuisance) and during his moments of clarity he would check himself into the local hospital and dry out for a few months.
    I could hear him spewing up constantly but it never stopped him drinking whilst he was on one, which begs the question would they not just drink through it. I think with any addiction the person needs to want to stop all your gonna end up with is loads of alchoholics in a worse state than they would be without taking an injection. Unless they develop this drug to also alter the mindset then it's not going to work.