Close

View Poll Results: Which DSLR Brand would you go for?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon is the only Brand for me.

20 50.00%
  • Nikon is the only Brand for me.

8 20.00%
  • I decide on the features of the camera, so Canon or Nikon

10 25.00%
  • I am an idiot and purchased another brand.

2 5.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: DSLR - Canon V Nikon ?

iv'e stuck with canon for the simple reason i had canon SLR's before switching to digital SLR's i could still use the kit i already owned

iv'e no real preferences either way a couple of friends of mine own nikon D3's with some very nice lenses and they are something else when used in low light situations
    i think canon have caught up now on that front with the 1DX and to some extent the 5D3 but it's all bollocks at the end of the day on average more or less all of the current DSLR's no matter what make will produce some stunning results the glass you put in front of the camera is more important than the body anyway and both makes have their own share of quality lenses

granted the pro bodies get things right a lot more than your average consumer DSLR but non the less iv'e seen stunning images from non pro kit the make doesn't matter

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Same here - just upgraded from an old Eos 1000N SLR to a shiny new 600D so I could get some use out of my lenses and other accessories.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I usually avoid threads like this but here goes.

I shoot a lot.
    At a decent level and standard.

Canons and I am talking high end here are great for studio work and play well there.

Nikon is better for wedding work as the low light performance is excellent. But I know studio shooters who have moved away from Canon and wedding shooter who have moved away from nikon.

The canon mk3 changed things for Canon though as they now appear to have caught up in the low light stakes.

Nikon auto focus has always been better than canon.

But as mentioned above to not rule out the mirror less cameras.
    The Olympic omd range is phenomenal and I know many top level pros moving to that format. Mostly because they cannot be arsed to carry heavy bags or travel a lot.

I am a nikon shooter I have a D3 and it is a great work horse. I can shoot in the rain and the snow and it has been fantastic.

But I do love using canon every now and then as the dial on the back is a great feature. And I could be tempted to move for video. Bit I have not shot with a D4 yet.

I would still recommend Nikon to anyone that asks.

I go Nikon in the first place because the canon in the budget I was looking at was too small and plastic so I went for the nikon d70s....

Still an awesome camera for off camera flash work.....

Mac

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

My answer is simple .....

Im no where near a pro I only use my camera when I go out with the dogs or on holiday.

i bought a D40 in USA a few years back and loved it (it was very cheap)
    from then I never really used anything but nikon I don't know why just a case of I would have to buy new lenses all over again.

Upgraded to a D3100 and loved it until it broke and wouldn't recognise any lens attached.
    Pluckily I bought it from amazon and they refunded the full sale price
    i am now a happy owner of the 24mp D3200.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Does the d3200 have a built in intervalometer?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    Does the d3200 have a built in intervalometer?

I think its built into the flange sprocket.. at least it was on mine !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    Its the age old question...

Ant or Dec?
    Ant man pet man.

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had Canon so far as digital camera's go, had a few Pentax camera's years back, and deep down i feel i should have gone down the Nikon road

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Meoff View Post
    ....... and deep down i feel i should have gone down the Nikon road

Why?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the general consensus on't net is that Nikon are leading right now, a lot of Canon supporters are annoyed with the direction the 5D mk3 went after waiting for it for so long and generally people dont find canons newer cameras very exciting. To be fair I am not sure if I personally agree but that's the feeling I get from reading news and review sites.

To be fair, I think I would go Nikon if I have to dump my current Sony though, although I am not really sure.

My money wouldn't be on any DSLR right now, mirrorless looks to be the way to go.

Thanks to {{909}}

dpSparhawk (10th September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good points Clive.

I must admit, Canon seem to be releasing new models like Apple released a new MacOS but with very little functional upgrade whereas I don't seem to see as many Nikon releases (perhaps because I don't follow Nikon specifically). Not saying the releases by Canon aren't very good as the image quality coming from the cameras is as good as usual if not better.

For a hobbyist, I guess the difference between the models isn't a high priority of importance but if you're in the photography business, I can understand the annoyance the consumers might have.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just bought a 650D - used to have a 300D back in the day and loved it. Have to say I am impressed with it. Images as crisp and nice and the build of the camera is amazing. Also I bought the kit at CostCo so it was only £520-ish Well happy.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi guys, I'm in the same boat now and really can't decide between the Canon EOS 600/650/700 and Nikon D5100/5200.

I've read loads of reviews and it seems to be a toss up between the two brands with the Canon supposedly easier to use and better ergonomics and the Nikon having the better sensor although I'm reading that the kit lens is better on the Canon.

I almost pulled the trigger on the 600D from Panamoz last night but by the time I went to buy the price had gone up 60 quid which makes me think I'd be better off buying the 700D for not a lot more.

I've always loved looking at the pics on here and it really seems a toss up between the two brands. I've been and handled the 5100 and the Canon's in a shop and still can't really decide - daft as it sounds I'm getting to the stage where I'll flip a coin and order accordingly as it sounds like either will be good!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If your really that stuck get the cheapest and put the cash saved towards extra lenses - you can always upgrade the body in a few years time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks to Northernbloke

reverend (2nd October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've finally bitten the bullet and went with the D5200 with the 15-55 lens and a 55-300 lens, so fingers crossed there's a lot for me to start learning soon

It's supposedly for the mrs's birthday but I'll be the one messing around with it more I reckon, although I have told her to learn so that she can go out and do some photo work at the weekends while I look after the little un! Probably never going to happen though!

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    I've finally bitten the bullet and went with the D5200 with the 15-55 lens and a 55-300 lens, so fingers crossed there's a lot for me to start learning soon

It's supposedly for the mrs's birthday but I'll be the one messing around with it more I reckon, although I have told her to learn so that she can go out and do some photo work at the weekends while I look after the little un! Probably never going to happen though!
    let me know what you think of it as in going to buy that or the d5300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been really happy with the picture quality mate - I did pick up a 50mm prime lens as well since then which takes some great portrait shots!

You can pick up the D5200 really cheap now that it's an older model - I got mine from Panamoz and they were really cheap compared to the UK at the time, but I've seen it at under 400 quid lately with the 18-55mm lens!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Before DSLR's became affordable/justifiable I bought a Nikon Coolpix 950 because unlike other digital cameras at the time the 950 was considered the photographers digital camera. Cost me around £800. Only 3 megapixel but still takes better pictures than the 12 megapixel Fujifilm compact I have now.

When I bought my DSLR it was a choice between Nikon, Canon and the new Sony that had just been released. If I remember it was Sony's first plunge into the DSLR market. Ruled out the Sony as soon as I looked through the viewfinder. When compared to the Canon or the Nikon the Sony viewfinder image, with the same camera settings, was much darker. I finally went for the Canon 450D. Can't remember exactly why but may have been down to features or the fact that my mate (Taffy, who was a member here before he passed away) had a Canon 350D and we could share lenses when out and about.

If I upgrade it will most likely be a Canon, unless there is a real incentive to change, because I spent £500 on a Sigma DC HSM zoom lens 18 - 260 and don't intend to spend that again for a different fitting. The reason I went for the 18 - 260 was to save having to change the lens too often thus avoiding the risk of dust getting in and on to the image sensor. With film it didn't matter because each frame of film is a new clean image capture surface. Bit of paranoia there I suppose. I think it may have been the first lens of that size for the Canon with image stabilization built in, hence the £500 price tag. Don't really do any serious photography so a zoom is fine for me rather than using fixed lenses. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

The wife has a Canon 700D and although the Nikon is better on paper and according to reviews she finds when she compares pictures with her friends d5200 that the 700d nearly always comes out on top
    Especially at high ISO which is what she needs it for mostly....

I know that the person taking the shots has a lot to do with it bur they did a lot of side by side tests using same settings e.t.c

I have NO eye for photography and I could see what they were on about... Just me 2p

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    let me know what you think of it as in going to buy that or the d5300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dont you already have a D5XXX range camera? Upgrading within the same range is pretty pointless...go up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast