Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Lower back pain...

The other day i was taking some bags out the car and i think i was bent over akwardly when picking them up, when i went to stand up, my back spasmed and i dropped the bags, ive honestly never felt pain like it.

I couldnt walk right or sit down, and movement of any sort was agony. After a nights rest the pain got better and eventually went away a few days ago.

Tonight, i went to sit down to play the xbox and i got this sudden pain again in the same region, but not to the same extent as before, but still painful to say the least!

im thinking a pulled muscle or ligament? anyone else done this and how long do the muscles take to heal?

Should I see a doctor?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Lower back pain...

I would say you have damaged the back as muscle spasm is when it locks to protect damage and it normally lasts on average the rest of your life.

Might help a bit more info on location, is it lower back same level as your hips?

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

burner1 (12th February 2013),  Detector (13th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I would say you have damaged the back as muscle spasm is when it locks to protect damage and it normally lasts on average the rest of your life.

Might help a bit more info on location, is it lower back same level as your hips?
    That's exactly what happened to me BB. Up till around 20 years ago I had no problems hauling weighty bags around, even worked as a coalman humping 100 weight bags like nothing then one day 'snap'.. I had bent to an awkward angle and the pain was awful and to this day, it comes and goes.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah just above the hip. :-(

Thanks
    Karma Level

Same here, turned out I had squashed 2/3 discs and they came into contact with the sciatic nerve, the pain was unbearable, had 7 weeks physio and it's been a weak point now for 25 years, no amount of 'lifting correctly' helps cos it happens when you least expect it. Nasty when your whole back goes into spasm though, I feel your pain

Thanks to davey52

Bald Bouncer (12th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    yeah just above the hip. :-(
    In that case I think it will be something you have to learn to manage unless it gets so bad they operate, in my case I know what I can do and what I can and when I do something I shouldn't the next day I pay the price.

You could try losing some weight that often helps as the name CallmeGoose makes me think of you as fat so in my mind you are about 23 stone.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

CallmeGoose (12th February 2013),  macmilm (13th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not quite the same thing but I just woke up one morning with acute lower right back pain, really crippled me and I regard myself as quite a tough nut (what man doesn't lol) after seeing the chiropractor for several weeks it just wouldn't go. It did subside quite a bit after about 10 weeks, as much as to allow me to play squash and cycle again. I did pop to the doctors to be sure, they sent me for an MRI scan and the scan revealed 3 dehydrated discs and one disc gnarled pushing the sciatic nerve!! ( You will know if you have this!!) I am now referred to orthopaedics for probable surgery. Prior to all this I did lots of heavy patio slab lifting etc, even lifting the correct way. 9 times out of 10 a good few weeks rest will fix it mate. Are you experiencing pain anywhere else??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay in the porch!!!!

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

haha no im only 15 st :-)

no pain elsewhere, just in this lower back region. ive taken some ibuprofen ill see how that goes. if im still in pain tomorrow ill go see a doctor..

Thanks
    Karma Level

no pain elsewhere, just in this lower back region. ive taken some ibuprofen ill see how that goes. if im still in pain tomorrow ill go see a doctor..
    Beware pain killers as if it's damage the muscle/pain is the message it is protecting damage to if you stop it doing it's job and protecting the damage by tricking it into thinking it isn't there you will do more damage.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

CallmeGoose (12th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like the right plan to me... I suspect time will heal it. Good luck bud

Thanks to k11jrp

CallmeGoose (12th February 2013)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just been in tears trying to get to the bathroom I could hardly walk, the missus has had to make me a bed up on the sofa as I won't be able to get back up the stairs without being in agony. Going to have to wait until she gets back from work at 5pm today before she can take me to the hospital!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

hi
    you be hours in A&E up the Norfolk and Norwich, they shocking up there when I been.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks to Lou_smorals

CallmeGoose (13th February 2013)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll see what I'm like later. A&e is only to be used in emergencies and I'm not dying, can wait till morning even though the pain is unbearable. If all else fails the missus will take me later on in the day

Thanks
    Karma Level

before you go to doctors have an idea of what you want him to do for you,
    think your first step may be physio,
    reason i'm saying this, is i've had pain in back for 30 yrs each time i went to doctors they said "can you bend here and here, your ok take some pain killers" his a doctor he must know thats what i thought
    5 years ago was sent to physio and told its a trapped nerve, because your back is tight here in lumber area
    in januray got to see head physio he sent me for back xray and told me your back is shot all lumber discs are worn out, and your back will completely lock in few years
    so make sure you have idea of what you want,you won't get MRI scan start away, you may need to start at physio
    listen to what they ask you, my one said do you get numbness in feet or hands, NO i said
    after a few days i thought about it and realised that coldness i had in ankle and the funny feeling i've got in hand is the numbness he was asking about

Thanks to rusty

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    In that case I think it will be something you have to learn to manage unless it gets so bad they operate, in my case I know what I can do and what I can and when I do something I shouldn't the next day I pay the price.

You could try losing some weight that often helps as the name CallmeGoose makes me think of you as fat so in my mind you are about 23 stone.
    Being a bit of an old codger I have had everything BB says here and it's down to managing the condition and thereby lessening the frequency it happens.
    My best result came when I got a new bed with the correct firmness of mattress and my twice yearly visits to the Chiropractor spaced out to now about once avery three years.
    Only you will know what aggravates it but the Chiro took xrays that showed I have a congenital malformation of one vertebrae that caused the initial problem but then once it starts it seems to find new locations along the spine.
    Best of luck though mate and keep us posted in case we can offer the benefit of our experiences..

supe
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png

Thanks to supraman54

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well after a few hours sleep , the pain has subsided a bit ,just like last time, the pain had all but disappeared after 24 hours, but it is still noticeably there. Couldn't roll over in bed less than 4 hours ago but now I can, so I'm hoping in another 4-6 hours ill be up and walking about

Still think I should get checked out though but the nhs are useless. Last time something serious happened with the missus we had to go private because the nhs were going round in circles and taking ages

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Might be prudent to get a consultation with a chiropractor and see what they say? I would wait a day or two though until its easier
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png

Thanks to supraman54

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by supraman54 View Post
    Might be prudent to get a consultation with a chiropractor and see what they say? I would wait a day or two though until its easier
    Ditto, agreed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Still think I should get checked out though but the nhs are useless. Last time something serious happened with the missus we had to go private because the nhs were going round in circles and taking ages
    Aren't you a tax dodger anyway? Go private cos at least that way you will get what you pay for as opposed to what you don't pay for...

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I do pay income tax, i just claim most of it back.

I pay my national insurance so im entitled to go to the doctors when I need it surely?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast