Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention PS4 Revealed: Feature List, Hardware Specs & Game Details

PS4 Revealed: Feature List, Hardware Specs & Game Details

For images from the event, go here.

At a media event that was also streamed live on the web today, Sony Computer Entertainment finally unveiled their next-gen console, called Playstation 4 (as everyone on earth expected). It wasn’t a full reveal; an actual physical console wasn’t shown, the eventual price wasn’t revealed, and they didn’t give a specific release date other than “Holidays 2013″. But despite technical hiccups with the stream and the lack of a concrete release date, Sony actually managed to impress with details that suggest, if not completely verify, that Sony is serious about dominating the next generation of consoles.

What did we learn? In a nutshell:

* The system will be heavily integrated with Gaikai technology to enable game rentals and purchases with a high degree of convenience. There’s also the possibility that the full line of Playstation titles going back to the first system will eventually be streamable. A huge array of video streaming options and social features will also be included.

* It will have built in video capture, 8GB of high speed unified memory and GDDR5 for system memory. For more on specs, see our break down here.

* Cross-platform functionality, especially with Vita but also with other devices including tablets, is emphasized.

* The newest DualShock controller is packed with new features, including a touch pad.

* Sony wants to have an extremely tight relationship with developers, something that perhaps was lacking with PS3. The presentation featured appearances by luminaries from across the industry, including Ubisoft, Quantic Dreams and Blizzard/Activision.

* Confirmed games include Watch Dogs, a new driver game called Drive Club, a new inFAMOUS title, and a new Killzone game.

* The biggest surprise: Blizzard and Sony are entering into a partnership “to take over the world.” The first step of that partnership is the announcement, after nearly a year of teasing, that Diablo 3 is coming to consoles, and Sony comes out the big winner with D3 on both PS3 and PS4.

The Tech:

First, Sony boasted that they’ve crafted a system “by developers, for developers” and that it’s “like a PC, but supercharged,”, revealing that the system has 8GB of high speed unified memory and built-in video capture. The game will also allow players to play a game in real time as its being downloaded. As expected, with Sony’s purchase last year of Gakai, the new system will also have serious cloud-gaming functionality. As described by Gakai CEO Dave Perry, among those features is the ability to know immediately if a friend buys a new game, as well as play-testing a title. “Interested in a game?”, Perry said. “You can start playing it by hitting the X button. With Gaikai in the store, you can experience anything you want.”

The system will not be backwards compatible as previously rumored. Instead, Perry suggested that they are exploring the possibility of using Gaikai to make everything all the way back to the original Playstation available for streaming. It appears downloading of older titles won’t be an option, at least based on the presentation, a sure disappointment for fans who want to play the original Ratchet and Clank without using up their monthly bandwidth allotment. It remains to be seen if US internet service providers would be able or even willing to meet such demand without leeching customers to the point that it becomes untenable, but here at Game Front we half-expect to see ISPs offering gamer-friendly packages to take advantage. Whether or not it causes severe wallet pain, it’s an impressive idea – assuming it comes to pass.

Playstation 4 will be cross-platform functional with PS4, Vita, smartphones, and tablets. It will allow remote play from the TV to the PS Vita with remote play built into the architecture. Utilizing Gaikai integrated technology, you can turn the PS4 into a game server and your PS Vita into a client.

The system will also be a robust home entertainment option, featuring access to Hulu, epix, Netflix, Facebook, MLB, Crackle, NHL Network, Music Unnlimited, and Amazon Instant video.

The Controller

It also boasts a new dual shock with a touchpad, a share button, and a light bar as a “simpler, more friendly way to identify players’ similar, based on the demonstration, to built-in kinect functionality.

Confirmed New Games

Games announced for the new system include:

Killzone: Shadowfall

See the trailer on the official Killzone Facebook page.

Screenshots:

Drive Club

A new racing game described as having “Borderline insane” real world graphics, it allows players to drive ‘the best cars in the world with other people’. Sony said the game was developed in part by visiting “the greatest car companies in the world”, among them BMW, Maserati and Mercedes. The game apparently rewards players for playing in groups (though multiplayer isn’t required.)

inFamous: Second Sun

A new trailer was shown for the next game in the inFAMOUS franchise, which appears set in a world in which surveillance technology has become ubiquitous and the rights of citizens a memory. Into this dystopian mess comes a new batch of mutants who use their powers to revolt against this tyranny. It does not appear to continue from the events of inFAMOUS 2, sensible since that game (spoiler) ended with either the death of the main character, or his destroying the world.

The Witness

A new game by Jonathan Blow, this one’s been in development for some time. It boasts gorgeous colors and looks, as one Game Fronter observed, like Myst for PS4.

After the reveal of confirmed games, Quantic Dreams’ David Cage came out to discuss the possibilities for developers on PS4, showing off in particular the system’s high pixel count which allows for a huge amount of character detail. “Movies progressed to convey emotion.” he said. “We’ve now finally reached that stage in gaming.” Here are a couple of snapshots from his presentation.

This was followed by several other demonstrations of PS4 technology. For instance, a Move demonstration by someone who bears a striking resemblance to 006.

Capcom’s Yoshinori Ono discussed the company’s development of a new engine for PS4 codenamed ‘Panta Rhei’, which he boasted “will allow us to take game design into entirely new directions.” He showed off an in-development new game called (working title) Deep Down, which admittedly looks gorgeous.

Next up was Yoshihisa Hashimoto, Chief Tech Officer of Square Enix Japan. He didn’t have a new game to reveal, but he did discuss the company’s new PS4-based engine with a real time cinematic demo on PS4.

Suffice to say, it looked spectacular. The floor was then given to Shinji Hashimoto, brand director for the Final Fantasy series. He had this to say: “Be excited for E3 this year.” So, yeah, we’re getting a new Final Fantasy game. After Hashimoto, Ubisoft Cofounder and CEO Yves Guillemot arrived and showed off Watch Dogs. He said that Ubisoft wants their games to be “more connected, more immersive, and more interactive.”

He added that “[i]n Watch Dogs, we can control everything. Everyone is connected. How we can invade everyone’s piracy without them knowing. We can tap into anyone’s lives. Anything can happen. We’re meant to feel what it’s like to be Aidan Pierce and invade everyone’s privacy.” The Watch Dogs demo, different from the one shown off at E3 2012, demonstrated some impressive gameplay. Aidan Pierce took a gun from a car, observed metadata in game, eavesdropped on a robbery in progress, chased a suspect through an alley. At one point he shot out a police car’s tires, then evaded capture by making it to nearby rooftops. Later, he hacked a train and brought it to a stop on the tracks, climbed on the train, then restarted it. He then fought off an attempt to hack his phone.

It was at this point that Blizzard’s Chris Metzen arrived on stage on revealed perhaps the biggest news from the event. Diablo 3 will be a robust experience for Playstation 4. In addition to online play, they’re going above and beyond with the ability to enjoy 4-way split screen co-op on a single system. And great news for people reluctant to shell out for Playstation 4 – Diablo 3 will be available on both Playstation 3 and Playstation 4.

Metzen was followed by Eric Hirshberg from Activision Publishing, as well as four members of the Bingie team, who confirmed that Destiny will arrive on Playstation 3 and 4. Hirshberg called it “Bungie’s next great FPS.”

stolen from : http://www.gamefront.com/breaking-pl...ion-4-revealed

5 Thanks given to {{909}}

cronus71 (21st February 2013),  greens117 (21st February 2013),  Mr Slippyfist (21st February 2013),  normanji (21st February 2013),  WRATH OF BOD (21st February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PS4 Revealed: Feature List, Hardware Specs & Game Details

so they didnt show a console, im not in to playstation but i wanted to see what it looks like.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by normanji View Post
    so they didnt show a console, im not in to playstation but i wanted to see what it looks like.
    last time they showed a prototype for a new controller (the stupid boomerang) and it became the laughing stock of the internet for weeks, they probably learnt to only reveal things once they are pretty much final

The usual killzone 'gameplay' video is here, to be taken with a pinch of salt

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?...13171115535029

cant get a facebook video to embed here, dunno if I'm doing it wrong or its a vpn issue here in China.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wasnt sure what to make of it. The power seems to be there but not a lot of innovation. I think i would still rather have it than the wii u but im gonna wait yo see what ms has in store. Destiny looks great but available on all formats. That first game looked shite. Watch dogs looked pretty cool and killzone always looks the part but gameplay rarely matches the visuals. Looking forward to E3 to find out prices and what it actually looks like. I wonder if its the optical drive thats preventing them from showcasing yet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

8gb DDR5 is crazy, hope MS can match that

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by raelmadrid View Post
    8gb DDR5 is crazy, hope MS can match that
    I thought it was only the gpu that had DDR5?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its unlikely MS will release a console with notably lower spec than Sony, so this announcement may have made them look at their numbers. If the PS3 has a huge graphical edge, its sadly not going to show in most multiformat games as they will always be built to work on the lower spec machine (as much as possible).

I've watched the Killzone video and I cant say I am overly impressed, the draw distance in some scenes is remarkable, but it hardly seems that fresh, PS3 games still look great to me, its not like the old PS1 and 2 where towards the end of their reign they started to look severely dated compared to the current PC games.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    I thought it was only the gpu that had DDR5?
    nope 8gb ddr5 system ram

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

PS4 will not blocked used games, Yoshida confirms

After weeks of speculation the PlayStation 4 has been revealed, and although most of the rumours were true there was one very important omission.

“Used games can play on PS4,”Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer.
    “That’s the general expectation by consumers. They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that’s my expectation,” he added.
    Although the used-games-block has been touted for Sony several times, especially in the wake ofan NFC patent, it’s really been persistent over on Microsoft’s side. The rumours hold so much sway that used game mogul GameStop keeps suffering share panic whenever they pop up again.
    It’s probably safe to say that now that Sony’s definitely not blocking used games, for Microsoft to do so would be a grievous error.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/21/ps4-will-not-blocked-used-games-yoshida-confirms/

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks to bobo06

plug1 (21st February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

the xbox 360 was a lower spec as was out years before the ps3 so Sony had the advantage of improved tech to put in the ps3 this time they are hitting at roughly the same time so I would imagine that the specs will be comparable.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only good thing I saw was Watch Dogs. Looks absolutely brilliant. But it's coming out on all consoles, even the PS3 and 360 too.

I'm guessing most of the event was a teaser more than anything, they're doing the big reveal at E3. Still, nothing really impressed me, Killzone looked nice, but just like any other linear FPS.

Also, the Playstation Eye they showed looked just like Kinect! Although it runs at twice the resolution and at 60FPS.

The Killzone video above on facebook was supposed to be uploaded via the Share button on the controller too...

I read on IGN yesterday the optical drive is a 6 x Bluray reader, Sony supposedly issued a press release after the event with more detailed specs, although I can't find that page any more on IGN....
    Last edited by dannyboy; 21st February 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didnt even know DDR5 was used for normal memory. I thought G DDR5 was GPU memory only. Thats gonna cost them a fortune. I reckon the Hard Drisks are gonna be at least 1TB as well. Expect a big price tag.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the high price of the PS3 was due to the cell and the bluray drive though wasnt it? both of which were non standard and very expensive at the time. They look to have used more conventional components this time, and Bluray aint expensve anymore.

Thanks
    Karma Level

what do we think then £300 - £400, more?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didnt even know DDR5 was used for normal memory. I thought G DDR5 was GPU memory only. Thats gonna cost them a fortune. I reckon the Hard Drisks are gonna be at least 1TB as well. Expect a big price tag.
    i heard its gonna be around £400

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    the high price of the PS3 was due to the cell and the bluray drive though wasnt it? both of which were non standard and very expensive at the time. They look to have used more conventional components this time, and Bluray aint expensve anymore.
    the bluray drive may be massively upgraded though. The old one was too slow to run games off so you had to install all the games to allow them to run.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mrbongo View Post
    i heard its gonna be around £400

every console is coming with the new eye toy (kinnect for sony) so £400 is plausable but expensive for your average gamer. I would buy one at that though, JUST. As long as there are killer titles at launch.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the bluray drive may be massively upgraded though. The old one was too slow to run games off so you had to install all the games to allow them to run.
    Actually very few ps3 games install to hard drive

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    Cant comment on recent titles but all the ones i had before i flogged it, had to partially install before you could play.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    i tried 3 games ages ago and all 3 needed installing to some degree, pissed me off no end, never touched my PS3 since
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast