Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Fuck, not fuk...
    DJ OD
    Fuks sake im allways getin that 1 rong

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Six-point penalty for using mobile at the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Wow I hit a raw nerve there, you really are still very bitter about the fine and points, I made my views on it very clear in the previous post I will post it again as YOU are the one who obviously didn't read it. Sorry I appear to of missed the the 'lots of of official research' you brought to the debate please enlighten me with the links I have missed you posted or actually post some then it can be debated and saying 'They do it or they get away with it why can't I' (please insert 5 year old girls voice) isn't an argument on the validity of the law.

No honestly did you really keep a straight face typing this? really? no really?

Unfortunately you have miss read my last comments... I never said or indeed intended to convey that I had brought "lots of official research into the thread". I have briefly mentioned the research available (and so has others) that is relevant to this issue. All of which show that its the conversation that is the problem not the means of how you do it.... and indeed as someone else mentioned, if you go down that road where do you stop (forgive the pun).

Yet again, you brought up the assumption that my opinion is based on my conviction. With all the grey areas in this topic, the only thing that is clear (that I know for sure) is that you are totally wrong on this assumption. I have also being convicted of driving at 36 in a 30 limit. However, I absolutely no problem with this... I agree totally, I was causing a possible danger in a built up area. There are also laws that I have never even broke, or indeed know anyone personally that has broke them... but I do not agree with them.

As you are well aware, I like a good debate... and if you want to slap me down with facts and a good counter argument then bring it on. However, unfortunately your sometimes very valid points are being lost because for some reason you feel the need to try and belittle my views instead of just counter arguing the points I raise? There is absolutely no need for it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    I never said or indeed intended to convey that I had brought "lots of official research into the thread".......

Yet again, you brought up the assumption .....
    I'm glad someone knows the difference between 'brought' and 'bought' . I can sleep tonight now !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

To whom it may concern

There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks to 4me2

DJ OD (1st April 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

971632_521498024580771_1997335245_n.jpg

The controversy begins.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post

That guy could be parked up as far as we can tell. Not enough info to go on there.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    That guy could be parked up as far as we can tell. Not enough info to go on there.
    I guess that's true...

http://youtu.be/R7yKA1tVhmw

... but they do do it.

Thanks to DejaVu

Over Carl (9th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    And taking photos at the wheel is.....
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

all over facebook and being shared loads

Thanks to stevo25

DejaVu (10th June 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What I find ridiculous here is that its not ok for me use my phone while driving (and I never do), but its perfectly legal for me to use my VHF/UHF amateur radio handset, which is much more complicated and distracting to use. My Yaesu is pretty much smartphone sized, and I reckon of I was ever to be issued with a summons I could easily go to court and claim it was that I was talking on, and not my phone, and probably get away with it as they look very similar......which is just a nonsense give the difference in complexity of use.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i always understood the law as being 'not in full control of a vehicle' - i didnt think there was a specific law about using a mobile phone whilst driving.
    the conviction code applied to licenses for people caught using a handheld phone whilst driving is CU80 which is ' Breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle, mobile telephone etc'
    i take that as it could be applied to anything that the driver does whilst driving that distracts them from the act of driving safely and paying full attention to driving safely

i.e. the use of a uhf/vhf portable radio would also qualify for a CU80 conviction

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think if everyone (like everyone has a mobile virtually) suddenly had a unit like that in their car then there would soon be a law against using it while driving. Mobile comms systems are used by all manner of service and emergency vehicles, it's not illegal but im sure there are advisories? The fact that the Yaesu has progressed from a ptt mic to how you describe it is really just a progression, the same as a mobile has gone from just calls, to sms to fucking candy crush saga - I can't imagine it would be easy to change a law depending on certain models of transceivers, it'd have to be all or nothing like it is with mobiles. Yours is like a smartphone but a taxi driver or ambulance driver still has a basic ptt I'd guess.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    What I find ridiculous here is that its not ok for me use my phone while driving (and I never do), but its perfectly legal for me to use my VHF/UHF amateur radio handset, which is much more complicated and distracting to use. My Yaesu is pretty much smartphone sized, and I reckon of I was ever to be issued with a summons I could easily go to court and claim it was that I was talking on, and not my phone, and probably get away with it as they look very similar......which is just a nonsense give the difference in complexity of use.
    If they want to a copper will charge you even if they suspect you using a phone. So using something that looks like a phone will probably get you a tug, and when you've made the coppers penis shrink by telling him its not a phone, he'll nick you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker View Post
    i always understood the law as being 'not in full control of a vehicle' - i didnt think there was a specific law about using a mobile phone whilst driving.
    the conviction code applied to licenses for people caught using a handheld phone whilst driving is CU80 which is ' Breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle, mobile telephone etc'
    i take that as it could be applied to anything that the driver does whilst driving that distracts them from the act of driving safely and paying full attention to driving safely

i.e. the use of a uhf/vhf portable radio would also qualify for a CU80 conviction
    That's the thing with the law/acts or whatever, they can often be manipulated to suit the particular incident. Either to get someone nicked, or get someone let off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
    I think if everyone (like everyone has a mobile virtually) suddenly had a unit like that in their car then there would soon be a law against using it while driving. Mobile comms systems are used by all manner of service and emergency vehicles, it's not illegal but im sure there are advisories? The fact that the Yaesu has progressed from a ptt mic to how you describe it is really just a progression, the same as a mobile has gone from just calls, to sms to fucking candy crush saga - I can't imagine it would be easy to change a law depending on certain models of transceivers, it'd have to be all or nothing like it is with mobiles. Yours is like a smartphone but a taxi driver or ambulance driver still has a basic ptt I'd guess.
    The problem is, and always will be that there are too many shit drivers in the UK and te problem is getting worse. A competant driver can drive and use a phone and not drive into a school... But while money can be made from idiots, nothing will change and the rest of us will suffer if caught.

If they were really concerned about safety their attitudes would be different. IE No alcohol AT ALL when driving. No phone use AT ALL when driving etc.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As far as I was aware, the distinction between legality was made between simplex and duplex communication, with simplex being acceptable and duplex not. I wish I could recall where I read it, but it was somewhere official, like ofcom or the likes..... I wasnt saying my Yaesu looked exactly like a cell phone, more that it could easily appear to be one because it was a similar sized unit.....but that said, I wouldnt be holding it to my head anyway I suppose..

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456