Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default severalls lunatic asylum (urbex)

The sheer scale of this place is unbelievable huge site

for the full set see http://www.petercostellophotography.com/severalls-lunatic-asylum

Severalls Hospital in Colchester, Essex, UK was a psychiatric hospital built in 1910 to the design of architect Frank Whitmore. It opened in May 1913.

The 300-acre (1.2 km2) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather. Unlike modern British hospitals, patients in Severalls were separated according to their gender. Villas were constructed around the main hospital building as accommodation blocks between 1910 and 1935. Most of the buildings are in the Queen Anne style, with few architectural embellishments, typical of the Edwardian period. The most ornate buildings are the Administration Building, Larch House and Severalls House (originally the Medical Superintendent's residence).
    The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990s following the closure of other psychiatric institutions.

12 Thanks given to peterc4

Show/Hide list of the thanked

akimba (15th April 2013),  Ashley (11th April 2013),  Bilbo_baggin (10th April 2013),  chesser (15th April 2013),  cronus71 (15th April 2013),  cybollox (15th April 2013),  cyprus (11th April 2013),  ilscuro (14th April 2013),  Mr Olympia (11th April 2013),  supraman54 (15th April 2013),  WRATH OF BOD (15th April 2013),  _Belial (14th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: severalls lunatic asylum (urbex)

Another great set.

You guys are fruitcakes lol... wearing that headgear - I'd hate to meet up with you at night, pmsl....

Paul.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

When did you do it mate? I used to go there several (excuse the pun) times a week and I organised the biggest group explore there too. Loved that place, I explored all but the chapel as that was locked down, I even did all the tunnels underneath the chapel but the only manhole cover had been anchored.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

When did you do it mate? I used to go there several (excuse the pun) times a week and I organised the biggest group explore there too. Loved that place, I explored all but the chapel as that was locked down, I even did all the tunnels underneath the chapel but the only manhole cover had been anchored.
    last weekend mate, it is still in quite good nick was in there 8 hrs, huge place, could not crack the water tower though, so many corridors got lost several times, a perfect day apart from the exit, didnt mind though on the way out

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The water tower was always easy to get in but the ground floor floods so you need to be fairly light/flexible. The last few times I was there some steps had snapped and this was years ago so the top might be hard to get to. Amazing views up there though, that and jumbo water tower in Colchester town gave the best views in the area! Jumbo is locked down now and has been for some years but used to be an open door! The old Odeon cinema in town was good too but watch out for needles and dodgy floorboards. The other, less severe, mental hospital was on London road and used to be completely open to walk straight in. Then they boarded it and used it for police dog and special ops training (they also used part of severalls for this). We were caught in there once and next thing are surrounded by police with their semi-auto weapons from the garrison, since its been turned into flashy housing. Shame the way these places go

Thanks
    Karma Level

Superb set mate, I remember trying to get in there years ago, but got collared by a security guard and his dog, tried to bribe them but he was having none of it, seemed a good sort though and didn't get shirty. Did you make it to see the organ?

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Great set mate.. texture heaven.. really like them..

supe
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by _Belial View Post
    Superb set mate, I remember trying to get in there years ago, but got collared by a security guard and his dog, tried to bribe them but he was having none of it, seemed a good sort though and didn't get shirty. Did you make it to see the organ?
    I would imagine the organ was in the main hall which was demolished over 8 years ago, as such I never got to see it Did you get into the clock tower though? They kept trying to secure that building but failed.