Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ale

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Retro Ale

Maybe it's an age or experience thing but over the last couple of years I've got into drinking real ale when it's available in a pub. I've not got a beard or anything.

It's definitely become more mainstream in the last five years or maybe I've just noticed it a bit more. Last summer I stayed in a place called Bosham in Sussex next to a pub which sold about six different ales at any time and changed a few barrels a day. It was great going in there and trying different ones until I was spannered. As one of the barmen said one night drinking ale is a really British thing to do, trying everything out and buying a barrel or two at a time from small businesses.

Nowadays I'll go out of my way to use a pub with ale in and try out what's available. Obviously I still sometimes get smashed on other stuff but I'm getting weary of that now and would rather go through the different ales.

Anyone else an ale drinker? I prefer pale ones with a strong hop. Damn I want one now.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ale

All my drinking buddies are real ale fans, personally i hate the stuff, it does nothing for me at all, it actually makes me heave, i prefer a pint of John smiths, needless to say they think i'm a twat

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've always drunk ale, had a few years off it when I live in London. Purely because it was hard to find a pub that looked after its beer properly.
    Last time I drank lager in a pub was on a trip up to Edinburgh recently, again due to pubs either not selling ale or having no idea how to keep it.

I was lucky enough to develop my drinking habits at establishments like this:

http://www.wyevalleybrewery.co.uk/pu...l#.UXb_gkmE7QQ

Use to be great getting a pint of HPA in there, knowing it was brewed on-site!

My local until last year was this place:

http://thegreendragoninn.com/index.html

I do however have a beard, but I have stopped smoking a pipe.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

when i first joined this forum i was working at sainsburys on the BWS (beers, wines and spirits) department and i got introduced to ales, and to be honest i hated them, but when i hit about 28ish i started trying more and more, i dont know whether its because my tastebuds matured or what but i started enjoying drinking some of the ales on offer in pubs, but dont wanna get hooked on them as it kinda puts u off drinking any lagers, and i wanna enjoy that for as long as i can.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I drink proper beer, never drank disco fizz. Great local brewery near me http://www.tringbrewery.co.uk

Every time we have a party or BBQ I drive 10 minutes to the brewery and pick up a gallon or two.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pratman View Post
    ... dont wanna get hooked on them as it kinda puts u off drinking any lagers, and i wanna enjoy that for as long as i can.

3 Thanks given to super mike

Ganty (24th April 2013),  Jack-daniels (20th May 2013),  pattikins (24th April 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    lol nothing like that but end up going to a couple of places on a regular basis with some lads where they never have or never will have ales on tap so will drink lager until i dont really care for it. but am always up for something different as long as it tastes good

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This is a good one in Brum: http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/

Cask Marque have an app now and there's an ale trail challenge in it. Not a route as such just scan a QR code on a poster in a location, then get prizes like a bottle opener. The app is called Cask Finder.

Favourite ale at the mo is made by Banks's called Sunbeam. Or anything goes as long as it's golden. Not too arsed about the dark ones.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

there are 2 in coventry, one is called whitefriars and the other is the tin man they have all of the festivals between them and when its no festival time they have a good selection on too! now its the season to get a good selection of beers/ales and live music, i cant wait!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ilscuro View Post
    i prefer a pint of John smiths, needless to say they think i'm a twat
    You are ;-) I think Smiths tastes like it has been made out of well used 2 pence pieces !!! Think about that next time your slurpin one

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love a good ale as I HATE overley fizzy drinks of any kind... lightly sparkling is ok but I am an adult ffs and bubbles in my drink are not required to make me want to drink it
    Where I live its all Adnams ales which I am not a huge fan of although Broadside is nice... I like a speckled hen.. there is a small brewery near me that does an ale with a bit of ginger in it too which is loverly

Not an ale but like some of the small brewerys flat ciders.. no gass, just like drinking apple juice and at about 8% you dont need much ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I drink ales a lot now, well when I can. Used to only drink lager but when I reached my late 20s I'd often start the night with an ale before switching to lager and slowly that 1 ale turned into 3 or 4 until I can go a whole evening without touching pisswater lager now. I do find with age I am struggling to enjoy loads of beers of any sort and start to feel bloated if I drink lots of lager and just heavy if I drink lots of ale. Now I down a pint of iced water every couple of pints. What a fucking lightweight.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Been drinking ales since I was around 20, much to the non-amusement of the missus as they make your farts really stink. Never really cared much for the taste of lager. Too processed, fizzy, sweet, chemicals.

Recently started drinking craft beers and have not looked back. Sainsburys now do a great selection of Brewdog (try the Punk IPA), Boston IPA, Goose Island, etc. if you like the taste of hops then you'll love them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I never got this real ale bollox ? it tastes like horse piss and is flatter than a witches tit ! i am with ilscuro in the John Smiths or Tetley or worthingtons camp ,not too gassy like Lager but has some taste !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Always been an Ale drinker can do with Lager at all, we have a very successful micro brewery near us which turns out a good selection of Ales they also own the main pub in the village so always got a few to choose from.
    But the best night out is once a year a nearby local village has a massive beer festival with about 60 different beers/ciders in a massive marque (length of nearly a football pitch) and it is fun trying to see how far along the line you can go ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beaconboy View Post
    I never got this real ale bollox ? it tastes like horse piss and is flatter than a witches tit ! i am with ilscuro in the John Smiths or Tetley or worthingtons camp ,not too gassy like Lager but has some taste !
    You've clearly never tried a decent ale. May I suggest a few from the supermarket to get you started?

Hobgoblin, Goliath, Spitfire, Fursty Ferret.

I'm also lucky in the fact we have an excellent local brewery in Leicestershire, Steaming Billy's. Their propriety stuff, Tipsy Fisherman and Skydiver, are simply superb.

Fuck lager, sold to appeal to children and the hooligans...

Thanks to Ganty

muttleymacclad (24th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    I've always drunk ale, had a few years off it when I live in London. Purely because it was hard to find a pub that looked after its beer properly.
    Last time I drank lager in a pub was on a trip up to Edinburgh recently, again due to pubs either not selling ale or having no idea how to keep it.

I was lucky enough to develop my drinking habits at establishments like this:

http://www.wyevalleybrewery.co.uk/pu...l#.UXb_gkmE7QQ

Use to be great getting a pint of HPA in there, knowing it was brewed on-site!

My local until last year was this place:

http://thegreendragoninn.com/index.html

I do however have a beard, but I have stopped smoking a pipe.
    Can't beat the barrels mate. HPA at £2.40 a pint, thanks, I'll have several!!! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay in the porch!!!!

Thanks to k11jrp

tombott (26th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I enjoy a pint of Smiths and the likes too, but I find it a bit boring drinking the same shit all the time. Me dad has drank nothing but Smiths for years.
    With real ales you can get so much variety, especially if you find a decent pub with 10 or so on the pumps.

I had a blackcurrent ale at the weekend and it was fucking awesome but I couldn't drink 8 in a row!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    You've clearly never tried a decent ale. May I suggest a few from the supermarket to get you started?

Hobgoblin, Goliath, Spitfire, Fursty Ferret.

I'm also lucky in the fact we have an excellent local brewery in Leicestershire, Steaming Billy's. Their propriety stuff, Tipsy Fisherman and Skydiver, are simply superb.

Fuck lager, sold to appeal to children and the hooligans...

NAH i i have tried many real ales in my time ... i stop at a lot of old pubs out in the country that only sell the stuff and i am yet to find one i like ? To me it tastes like beer that's been left overnight ...warm flat and stale .....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Plenty of Brains pubs near me....my local of course serves SA and its known to be a particularly fierce brew....it aint called Skull Attack for nowt!!

It also has a craft brewery which provides loads of different ales very month.

http://brainscraftbrewery.com/

All you "keg & carpet" boys can feck off....a pint of Samuel Smegmas Old Trouser Wrinker for me every time!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks