Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shit µTorrent = scum adware peddlers

I've used µTorrent for several years now, but in the last 6 months or so I've been plagued by a particularly nasty piece of Adware called 'Conduit search' which I simply cannot get rid of. It appears that Conduit was bundled with one or more µTorrent builds where even if you opted out of the Conduit toolbar, it still installed it,

I have Chrome installed on multiple computers (work, laptops, desktops etc..) and conduit has spread across them all. It basically hijacks your search results, but not all the time so you sort of tolerate it after a while... but bloody annoying. I've tried most of the tips on the net, and none have worked for me. I'm guessing my problem is partly the fact that I have Chrome installed all over the place (work, home, parent's house etc..) and it just keeps spreading from one to the other. Perhaps I should disable chrome sync and tackle the computers one by one.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

macmilm (2nd May 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: µTorrent = scum adware peddlers

disable Chrome Sync should help but i havent noticed any of these on my machines, where did you download utorrent from? main website?
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I could be wrong, but I'm a tiny bit sceptical that Chrome could be used as a vector to transmit malware between your machines. I have a funny feeling it may have come via some other means.
    The cunts are getting sneaky - from having setup more pc's than I can remember I thought I would never get caught out by not ticking but every now and then I still do - I've seen things like a checkbox having to be ticked to say you DO NOT want it, I'm sure I've unticked the main checkbox so the other ones below it were grayed out but the options ticked and greyed out were still installed, also sometimes you can't just click on the text or near the box but you have to carefully and specifically click in the checkbox.

I remember finding a way to block nearly all of these bits of crap added with installers which I had set up at firewall level but could also be implemented by changing hosts file but I've forgotten this. If I remember/find it later today I'll put a fresh post up.

Thanks to Over Carl

GTI (2nd May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_2K View Post
    disable Chrome Sync should help but i havent noticed any of these on my machines, where did you download utorrent from? main website?
    Yes, I always download these things from source. Its actually well documented that they did bundle this crap with their installer, and that it installed regardless of you opting out.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

interesting, i rebuilt one of my servers the other day and did a fresh install of everything including uTorrent, now i have checked the programs and features section of Control panel and i cant see it in the list (im assuming it would be) and i have just connected remotely and done a search using Chrome and i cant see anything hijacking my search results, here is a pic of the programs and features for the machine

4GTI.jpg

now the only think i remember doing on alot of these installers is when it gives you 3 options and they are something similar to below

[x] Install <INSERT WANK TOOLBAR NAME HERE> Toolbar
    [x] Set <WANK COMPANIES SITE> as your homepage
    [x] Some other shit

i always deselect from the bottom up, i know selecting the main one usually unselects the other 2 but i dont trust installers generally so always make sure that everything is 100% unclicked, not sure if its much help to you now tho
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

interesting, i rebuilt one of my servers the other day and did a fresh install of everything including uTorrent, now i have checked the programs and features section of Control panel and i cant see it in the list (im assuming it would be) and i have just connected remotely and done a search using Chrome and i cant see anything hijacking my search results, here is a pic of the programs and features for the machine

4GTI.jpg

now the only think i remember doing on alot of these installers is when it gives you 3 options and they are something similar to below

[x] Install &lt;INSERT WANK TOOLBAR NAME HERE&gt; Toolbar
    [x] Set &lt;WANK COMPANIES SITE&gt; as your homepage
    [x] Some other shit

i always deselect from the bottom up, i know selecting the main one usually unselects the other 2 but i dont trust installers generally so always make sure that everything is 100% unclicked, not sure if its much help to you now tho
    Is that windows server edition you have installed?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by saintashley View Post
    Is that windows server edition you have installed?
    no mate its Windows 7 Professional, server 2012 is on my main server, this is on the one just for downloading

Thanks to Mystical_2K

Ashley (2nd May 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I just wondered if Xbmc worked wit it is all cheets

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's meant to say cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by saintashley View Post
    I just wondered if Xbmc worked wit it is all cheets
    yes Windows Server 2012 does mate, couldnt remember but just gave it a test for you

xbmc tmp.jpg

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yes Windows Server 2012 does mate, couldnt remember but just gave it a test for you

xbmc tmp.jpg
    Cheers mate might give it a a go on my server

Thanks
    Karma Level

have had to sort all the family and friends PC's over that fooking search conduit... most had never even seen utorrent so I reckon that it is being peddled from all sorts of software...
    Have installed utorrent only yesterday but it didnt cause any malware I could see !!!

Thanks to macmilm

GTI (2nd May 2013)  

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Surprised to hear that Chrome has been raped by Search Conduit. Usually it just attaches itself to Internet Explorer.

Any Extensions installed to it?
    chrome://chrome/extensions/

Any plugins?
    chrome://chrome/plugins/

Or just get really nerdy -
    chrome://memory-redirect/

Running Malwarebytes removes Search Conduit too. I recommend it be done in Safe Mode.
    Installing plugins on one system using a GoogleAccount WILL carry those settings over to another system as Google assumes you have added to your Chrome account on purpose.
    Run Malwarebytes on all systems.

Condiut Search is installed with uTorrent if you do not read what its doing and assume all is good.

Thanks to DejaVu

GTI (3rd May 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Conduit is installed with other apps too, not necessarily malware but like yontoo it's annoying. You can uninstall using the usual methods then reset your browsers default search engine and remove the extensions it installs. Only once have I had to use a tool like malwarebytes to remove yontoo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just had to remove search conduit and yoontoo from a brand new dell PC. Guy bought it last week and already has a ton of crap installed due to torrent stuff. Easy enough to remove on chrome, it's listed as torrent search or something similar in extensions.
    Mml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry