This is my current setup:
12Tb File Server: Fractal Design Array R2, Intel D510MO / D510 Intel MN10, 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz. This server runs UnRAID.
*Photo's to be attached*[/b]
I love my setup mainly due to it's extremely low powered! But file transfers are painfully slow and it doesn't handle multi tasking well... So I am thinking of upgrading and using ESXi to combine systems into one unit (unsure what systems these will be though lol). My major bugbear is power hungry systems especially when electric is not cheap in the UK.... So I want the build to draw as little power as possible!
My proposed new setup:
Case: Norco 4224 - Need to find the 120mm fan plate
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O
RAM: 2x 8GB KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230
Power Supply: ?
SATA Expansion Card(s): 3x IBM M1015 - Purchased: £261.37 New
Hard Drives I already have:
Parity Drive: 2TB
Data Drives: 17x either 1TB, 1.5TB or 2TB
Cache Drive: 1x 500GB 2.5"
Total Drive Capacity: Unknown at present as it depends on the state of the hard drives I have
Although I am thinking of swapping them all for 3TB WD Red as power consumption is tiny!
WD Red: 2TB/3TB: Read/Write 4.4W, Idle 4.1W, Sleep/Standby .6W
WD Green: 2TB: Read/Write 4.5W, Idle 2.5W Idle, Sleep/Standby .7W
The primary uses of the new server will be:
- Computer backups (rsync) - UnRAID
- Web server (to test my websites before they go live) - UnRAID
- Virtual machine (so I can use Windows at university as it is all Macs) - ESXi
- Film, TV, Music Storage - UnRAID
- XBMC server/streaming in my flat - UnRAID
- Run the usual addons to source content for XBMC (Media Center) - UnRAID
- Home Automation system - ESXi/UnRAID
- Home security; IP Cameras
Do you think I actually need this? What would you do/change? Any ideas on how I can work out the potential power consumption on my proposed build as this will control want actual happens
Any other advice/tips etc?