Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sky News Tory MP Nigel Evans Arrested For Rape And Sex Assault

Tory MP Nigel Evans Arrested For Rape And Sex Assault

Tory MP Nigel Evans is questioned by police over the rape and sexual assault of two men in their early 20s, Sky sources say.

7:30pm UK, Saturday 04 May 2013

The Deputy Speaker, Nigel Evans, has been arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault of two men, Sky Sources reveal.
    The 55-year-old Conservative MP was arrested this morning at his constituency home in the village of Pendelton, near Clitheroe, in Lancashire.
    He is being questioned by police over an allegation of raping one man and sexually assaulting another.
    Prime Minister David Cameron and Speaker John Bercow have been informed of the arrest of the popular MP, who is a prominent gay rights campaigner.
    Sky News Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said: "He is being questioned over two allegations, one of rape and another of sexual assault against two men, two men who I understand are in their 20s.
    "He was arrested at his home and the offences are alleged to have been committed at his home some time between July 2009 and March 2013 . He is still in custody its not clear what the result of the questioning is going to be tonight."
    Mr Evans, who comes from Swansea and whose parents ran a news agents, has been MP for Ribble Valley since 1992.
    He has held a number of front bench posts for the Conservative Party and was a Parliamentary Private Secretary in John Major's government and Mr Majors spokesman of Welsh Affairs.
    In 2010 he was promoted to deputy speaker, earning £102,000-a-year, including his MP's salary.
    In December 2010 he came out as gay in an interview with the Mail on Sunday newspaper in which he said that he was "tired of living a lie".
    Sky News Chief Political Correspondent John Craig said: "Since then he has become quite a prominent gay rights campaigner.
    "He had held, for example, at least one function in the Speaker's apartments on gay rights. John Bercow let him use the Speaker's apartment for a function and he has been prominent in that campaign.
    "He is a very sociable MP. He is very well known."
    Mr Evans is in custody in Preston police station in Lancashire.
    A Lancashire Police statement confirmed that a 55-year-old man from Pendleton had been been arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault and that he was being interviewed by officers.
    The statement said: "We take all allegations of a sexual nature extremely seriously and understand how difficult it can be for victims to have the confidence to come forward.
    "As a constabulary, we are committed to investigating sexual offences sensitively but robustly recognising the impact that these types of crimes have on victims.
    "We would encourage anyone who has experienced sexual abuse, or who has information about it, to have the confidence to report it to us knowing that we will take it seriously, deal with it sensitively and investigate it thoroughly."

More follows...

http://news.sky.com/story/1086933/ni...nd-sex-assault
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

2 Thanks given to 4me2

Bald Bouncer (4th May 2013),  prezzy (4th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tory MP Nigel Evans Arrested For Rape And Sex Assault

Nigel Evans denies rape claim as 'completely false'

Nigel Evans was elected deputy speaker of the House of Commons in 2010

Deputy House of Commons Speaker Nigel Evans has denied allegations against him as "completely false", after being arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault.
    The Conservative MP, 55, has been questioned about alleged attacks on two men in their 20s, the BBC understands.
    But in a statement to journalists on Sunday, Mr Evans expressed his "sense of incredulity at these events".
    His solicitor said he did not intend to quit as deputy speaker or as an MP.
    Lancashire Police said on Saturday that a 55-year-old man had been arrested and questioned all day by officers.
    The alleged offences took place between July 2009 and March 2013 in Pendleton, Lancashire, they said.
    Mr Evans has been bailed until 19 June.

'Obviously shocked'

Addressing reporters outside his home, he said: "Yesterday I was interviewed by police concerning two complaints - one of which dates back four years.
    He added: "The complaints are completely false and I cannot understand why they have been made."
    He went on to thank police for their sensitive handling of the matter, as well as colleagues, friends and members of the public who had "expressed their support and, like me, a sense of incredulity at these events".
    Prime Minister David Cameron has been made aware of the arrest, it is understood.
    Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the BBC he had been "shocked" by the allegations about Mr Evans.
    "I know Nigel well, I have known him for years. I'm obviously as shocked as everybody else is," he told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show.
    Mr Hammond added it could be "very difficult" for the MP to continue as deputy speaker while the matter was being investigated.
    "I think that is essentially a question the speaker will have to consider," he said.

'Shell-shocked'

Mr Evans, MP for Ribble Valley since 1992, was elected one of three Commons deputy speakers three years ago.
    In more than two decades in Parliament, the Swansea-born MP - who came out as gay to a Sunday newspaper in 2010 - has held some senior posts in the party.
    From 1999 to 2001, he was vice-chairman of the Conservative Party. Then, when Iain Duncan Smith became party leader in 2001, he was promoted to shadow Welsh secretary - a post he held for two years.
    Michael Ranson, chairman of the Ribble Valley Conservative Association, said people in the constituency were "completely shell-shocked".
    "He is a very popular MP and a very good constituency MP. He's given assistance to a lot of his constituents over many years," he told Sky News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22417941
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In my opinion it really is time they stopped this naming of 'innocent until proven guilty' people as it's destroying careers, families and destroying lives, i am sure it a lot of cases this is being used as a weapon and even when accused are found innocent you hear people say 'they got off' a case of mud sticks while false accusers seem in most cases just to walk away without punishment.

4 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

4me2 (5th May 2013),  blaggard (5th May 2013),  GTI (5th May 2013),  spookythang (5th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

In a way the best chance we have of that happening is if mp's get accused of things like this.

Thanks to B.I.G.

Bald Bouncer (5th May 2013)