Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Which refresh rate is best for 23.976hz movies? 23hz or 24hz?

I am watching a MKV movie file that reports to be 23.976fps.

For smooth playback I want to change my screen refresh rate from its usual 60hz.

However, in the screen resolution options (in Catalyst Control Center or Windows Monitor Properties) I don't see a 23.976hz setting. The closest two are simply "23hz" or "24hz". Is one of these in fact shorthand for 23.976hz, and if so which one? Yes I've done a bit of Googling but cannot find a concensus on the topic.

My card is "ATI Radeon Mobility HD5730 1GB" and installed I have Catalyst Control Center Version 2010.0122.858.16002 (the latest version that seems to work on this ASUS laptop). I am using Windows 7 64bit edition.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Which refresh rate is best for 23.976hz movies? 23hz or 24hz?

I could be wrong, but I'm gonna suggest trying it at 24 as that's the closest you can get. If results aren't satisfactory, you could always then try 23.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Pretty sure this wont improve anything. You want the screen refresh rate at 60+, lowering it wont make playback any smoother it'll just make the screen flicker.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My Samsung changes to 24fps when I'm watching a movie and it does make a difference, films look miles better

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The answer to the question in the subject of the OP is the highest possible.

Hz (hertz) and FPS (Frames P/Sec) are different. Always leave your TV/Graphics card on the highest hertz setting possible for your display. It'll adjust itself accordingly.

MKV's from Blurays from the States will be 23.976p and the UK version of the same film are in 25p (IIRC).

This is the difference between NTSC and PAL formatted Discs. Nothing to worry about unless your running the original Disc in a Bluray player.
    Running an MKV file on a PC renders this information irrelevant as the PC will play it regardless.

There was a big thing a couple of years back about films being created in 24p to make viewing scenes in slow-mo look a lot better, but technology these days has so far advanced in such a short space of time, this 'feature' is practically redundant now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_r...and_television

Hz in layman terms is a measurement of what the TV is able to do during fast moving action scenes (without juddering) - 50Hz is terrible. The higher the better.
    Frames per sec is self explanatory. What the movie was filmed in and how many pictures are displayed per second.

30fps is comfortable for the human eye to process is considered 'smooth'.

More information -
    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

Thanks to DejaVu

beerman (5th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

For what its worth, after much experimentation I find that the mode labelled as "23hz" is best for 23.976fps movies, on my setup. Perhaps "23hz" is shorthand for 23.976 afterall, in ATI land at least.

The cadence seems regular, to my eyes, which makes the motion fluid and natural. If I set the screen to "24hz" mode instead (or "60hz" for that matter) there is noticeable micro stuttering every so often in the playback. I guess "24hz" mode is for footage shot in real 24hz mode (some camcorders do it I think). 60 is not divisible by 24 (or 23.976) so I don't think this advice of setting the screen mode to 60hz for playback of film material is correct, if you are trying to achieve fluid frame-for-frame playback.

I watched Finding Nemo 1080p last night and it was superb. It seemed like not a frame was out of place.

DejaVu you say that hz and fps are not the same, but the wikipedia article you link to seems to contradict that saying "Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per second (FPS) and is also expressed in progressive scan monitors as hertz (Hz)."

I've seen that 100fps website before and find it one of the most obfuscated explanations of technology I've ever encountered.
    Last edited by RowaN; 9th May 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find 24 best for viewing. On the other modes there is an ever so slight judder which isn't there on 24.

Thanks
    Karma Level

For anyone interested, I think I found the answer here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-...24-25-fps.html (2nd post)

TL;DL: most graphics card drivers do abbreviate 23.976hz to "23hz". So, if your MKV reports to be 23.976fps, then set the refresh rate of your graphics card to match by choosing "23hz" (not "24hz") to achieve evenly cadenced playback.