Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Going to Cancun -- Finally! Advice on money?

Well I have been trying to get away for the past 5 years and have never managed to due to being let down by mates constantly. Well this year I actually got Cancun booked with a group of mates for a week at the start of July! Hell of a long trip for only a week but adding a few days or another week added another £500 to the cost which is already over a grand Thankfully I have a credit card that has taken the hit and I will be paying it off for the rest of the year but I had to get away, and I have never left Europe before.

My question is for those who travel regularly, what is the best way to spend money? I have got a Halifax Clarity mastercard which has very attractive features for travelling (see here) but I would imagine most the places we will go would rather cash than card. We are staying at an all inclusive 5 star resort so we will mainly eat there and only leave during the day for a waterpark, maybe swim with dolphins and at night go to Coco Bongo, Senor Frogs and the other clubs (would like to try Hooters too!). But the Halifax card has a 12.9% interest on cash withdrawal with a non-loaded exchange rate. I just compared that to the exchange rate of ICE and they are offering 1.5 USD to the pound and the true exchange is only minutely better than that.

I'm thinking take £300 in USD (I hear they prefer USD to peso) and spend on card where possible.

Also if anyone has been to Cancun do they have any tips? Or has anyone stayed at the Riu Cancun? 2 mates I am going with went last year so they will be trying to get us to do all the things they want to do. I want to go back again in the future so I can visit the real Mexico, temples etc. but this holiday is a just to blow off steam and actually go somewhere this year as I am fed up of planning holidays and being let down.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Going to Cancun -- Finally! Advice on money?

not a clue but have fun

Thanks to raelmadrid

evilsatan (29th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Went 10 years ago.

The jungle and tour was awesome' . think that's what it was called you got individual speedboats for 2 and headed out to a reef and swam with the fish. It was pretty good. Mayan ruins at Chichen itza were also worth a visit for something different and a day off it.

Enjoy it

Thanks to mitchb

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

no advice mate but well jealous, enjoy!
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks to Mystical_2K

Thanks
    Karma Level

Take some Immodium with you, and have a good one mate!

Thanks to rIKmAN

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not been to Cancun but been to 2 of the Riu hotels in the Dominican and loved them. If you dont want to spend much cash everything is on the resort normally - the food is normally pretty good but can get repetitive if you stay longer than a week. Been thinking about going to Cancun so will be interested in what you think of it mate. Good idea about immodium, plenty of painkillers, mozzie stuff and the usual bolloks.

Enjoy fella.
    How about a positive LSD story? Would you like to see a positive LSD story on the news to hear what's it all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting just once?

"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather".

Bill Hicks

Thanks to big-paul

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can vouch for the speedboat jungle tour good fun, don't miss xelha waterpark, if your doing Mayan ruins consider coba rather than chitzen itza its the only one you can still climb to the top the pyramid I swear you can still smell blood in the temple at the top,plus its only an hour away rather than 5, take dollars the locals weren't interested in pesos well they weren't last summer, coco bongos is a good night out, senior frogs is good for an hour or so, we stayed in the Rivera Maya area so can't really say too much about downtown Cancun only saw it in the dark!

Thanks to Nathz29

Thanks
    Karma Level

Went to the Riu Cancun this year for 2 weeks during spring break. Great hotel food is good but breakfast is a little bit shit.

I spent about £1000 over the 2 weeks but we was out every night and did about 5 trips.

If you are looking for a nights out on the piss avoid the Thompson reps they just rip you off. instead get talking to the onsite reps there the main ones are Junior and Joseph and they usually organise the best nights out usually around $50 which includes transport to the club, queue cut and your own area (all drinks are included too) with the other guests in the hotel. Once you are in the club if you and your friends tip the waiter well they will just keep bringing bottles of vodka and tequila all night for you. If they have the Mandala beach party on friday night I recommenced that as it was easily the best night we had. Also remember they have security on the doors at night so if you want to take a girl back from a different hotel it's not gonna happen.

I travelled with Dollars and travellers cheques but looking back would have taken all dollars with me. They have a safe in the room which is where we kept all of our money. I also found the best rates online and got them delivered.

I would also suggest the jungle tour was easily the best of the trips we did. Xel Ha is good but you will not want to be hungover like I was and spend all day in a hammock. Luckily I have been before so was not too bothered. There is a mall across from the hotel where you can buy the trips but shop about for the best price. Avoid crisps and snacks they are about $13 for a big bag.

Obviously any more info you want just let me know and I can answer as much as you need.

Thanks to miffy

Thanks
    Karma Level

coca1ne is good there. Careful who you buy from though, as you might lose your head.

DJ OD

2 Thanks given to DJ OD

evilsatan (29th May 2013),  rIKmAN (29th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    coca1ne is good there. Careful who you buy from though, as you might lose your head.

DJ OD

If that is what you want go to the seahorse come out the hotel and go to the right and you will see it. Don't buy off the locals it is expensive and shit quality according to my friends.

Thanks to miffy

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you're going to be staying in Cancun then everywhere accepts USD, taxis out of town included. If you venture out anywhere other than Playa Del Carmen then you will need Pesos.

A nice day out is the ruins and beach at Tulum (approx. 2 hours away) although there is pretty much nothing to do in town there. What I really recommend is Medira (approx 4 hours away). It's a beautiful old colonial city built with the rocks of ancient Mayan temples that were once there.

Thanks to stimpy

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Some great advice in here!

Miffy - When you say on-site reps who do you mean? Last year when two of them went they said they got talking to the hotel entertainments crew who got them $40 entry with staff bands into Coco Bongo, for that they got a free bottle of vodka, tequila, mixers, waiter kept coming round as they had tipped him and a private VIP spot. How much would you tip a waiter?

Shame about bringing girls back Any tips about avoiding police? My mates got picked up by the police twice last year and they took their phones and money. Even though Coco Bongo is pissing distance from our hotel they got taxis in the end.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    If that is what you want go to the seahorse come out the hotel and go to the right and you will see it. Don't buy off the locals it is expensive and shit quality according to my friends.
    What is the Seahorse? Is there any scene for MDMA/pills? I guess that would turn Coco Bongo from an awesome night to one hellllll of a night Last time I took coke must have been 4 years ago, didn't particularly enjoy it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I went for Spring Break in 2007. Had a good time, stayed at the Oasis. Didn't have any trouble with the Police. Did the Jungle River trip as above. But we didn't plan anything, there are loads of leaflets in the hotel lobbies.

If you can speak Spanish life is a lot easier and you get everything a lot cheaper.

Thanks to Geko

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Some great advice in here!

Miffy - When you say on-site reps who do you mean? Last year when two of them went they said they got talking to the hotel entertainments crew who got them $40 entry with staff bands into Coco Bongo, for that they got a free bottle of vodka, tequila, mixers, waiter kept coming round as they had tipped him and a private VIP spot. How much would you tip a waiter?

Shame about bringing girls back Any tips about avoiding police? My mates got picked up by the police twice last year and they took their phones and money. Even though Coco Bongo is pissing distance from our hotel they got taxis in the end.
    Yes the entertainment crew. They walk round everyday and will have a chat with you they are well worth knowing. My friend broke his ankle on the first night and they helped with everything to make sure he still had the best time possible. Out of the clubs Coco Bongo was my least favourite although I still had a good time. For tips we just all put about $15 in at the start of the night which they was more than happy with.

You should be ok with police we had no trouble ever and there was 10 of us, we might have just been lucky.

The seahorse is a bar just down the road from the hotel but there is a guy in there who sells stuff, not sure if they do pills though as it isn't something my friends do.

Thanks to miffy

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure if it is wise to be dabbling abroad anyway but was just in case the moment took us. I am at Wireless festival 2 days after returning to the UK so will be fighting jet lag already not sure if I could hack a comedown too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im goin Riu Cancun in 6 and half weeks from now, im taking US Dollars.

Thanks to Lighty

evilsatan (19th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cancun isn't like the rest of Mexico both USD and Pesos are used. I would use pesos for regular day to day expenditure and use USD for bars/club entry. also be weary of paying in USD and receiving change in pesos (usually get fucked on FX).

In terms of withdrawing cash, open up a debit card with Metro bank, they charge no international withdrawal fees and I believe they use a live visa spot FX rate. The only time you could get charged is on the atm side of the host country (theres 2 free ATMS in cancuns main strip in the shopping mall next to coco bongo), otherwise ATM charges are roughly 3-4$

Clubbing - all clubs operate a $20-50 entry fee where u get a 'table' and all you can drink bar (basic selection of booze) with your coloured wrist band, as mentioned if you dont tip dont expect to get served very quick. best plan try to get a table/vip spot find a waiter drop him a decent tip and he'l regularly bring you drinks etc all night long. Reps will also try to sell you 3-4 day/club packages which sounds good at the start but from everyone I've met its been a hassle usually because you'll end up meeting people at pool side parties etc and you'll want to go to the same club as them especially if you want your initial leg work during the day to pay off

During day - all resorts offer pool side parties with all you can eat food and drink for residents, Mandala club also has a pool side bar which is probably the best on the strip for partying, they have private hot tub areas which are c. $2-500 for the day or you can get poolside bed/lounger if you buy any bottle (c. $100)

Activities - I would spend half a day going to Chichen Itza, you will get stopped loads by people offering tours, its only about a 2 hour drive from Cancun from memory.

If you get a chance try to also visit Playa Del Carmen, its alot more relaxed and has bit of a European vibe. Alot of mexicans go there for vacation.
    Last edited by pheonixsingh; 19th June 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks to pheonixsingh

evilsatan (19th June 2013)