Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Brooks denies phone hacking charges

Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has pleaded not guilty to charges related to phone hacking.

Several other former News of the World journalists who appeared at Southwark Crown Court also pleaded not guilty.

Revelations about phone hacking led to the closure of the News of the World in July 2011.

Mrs Brooks, 45, also denied conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office and to pervert the course of justice.

Other News of the World employees who also pleaded not guilty to charges related to phone hacking included former assistant news editor James Weatherup and former managing editor Stuart Kuttner.

Mrs Brooks, who was also former editor of both the News of the World and the Sun, denied two charges of conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office - one between 1 January 2004 and 31 January 2012, and a second between 9 February 2006 and 16 October 2008.

She and her personal assistant Cheryl Carter also denied perverting the course of justice between 6 and 9 July 2011.

In a second count, Mrs Brooks, her husband Charlie, former News International head of security Mark Hanna, security staff Lee Sandell and David Johnson, and driver Paul Edwards all denied conspiring to pervert the course of justice between 15 and 19 July 2011.

The News of the World's former royal editor Clive Goodman also appeared in court and denied two counts of conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office.

All the defendants were released on bail and are due to face trial later in the year.

BBC correspondent Tom Symonds said the dock was full, with 29 barristers in court.

"We are heading towards what you might call a mega-trial involving these key people from the News of the World and that is now due to start in early September," he added.

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Brooks denies phone hacking charges

Of course she does.

Drag it all out as long as you can, cost the tax payer millions why don't you...

And I wish they would stop calling it phone-hacking. Calling up a voicemail box for someone and using the default network voicemail password isn't hacking...

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

Over Carl (5th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Brooks denies phone hacking charges

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    And I wish they would stop calling it phone-hacking. Calling up a voicemail box for someone and using the default network voicemail password isn't hacking...DJ OD
    All the networks appear to have tightened up on that. However I know can actually hack my own voicemail on 3 very easily. (Worst thing is it's not even hard to do at all - the first time I did it was actually totally by mistake!).

Please don't pm me about this as I haven't divulged to a single person and haven't got any plans to do so.