Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PS4 to support used games

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Wow, poor Nintendo. Just read the stream from their conference...

Zelda Wind Walker!! Erm, hang on... they released that many moons ago.. What, releasing again but in HD?
    Smash Bros! You can play as the Villager from Animal Crossing! YEAH you heard me...
    Donkey K....

I cannot be bothered......
    I think only die hard fans will argue with the fact that the Wii-U has failed and is doomed, I can't see Nintendo releasing another home console and think they will concentrate on releasing games going the same route as SEGA, not sure on the future of the DS but they must be losing a lot of that market to phones and tablets.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can you imagine the revenue if they released Mario Kart, Smash Bros or one of the other 2 games they make onto the other consoles. They would definitely be more profitable/respected than they are now.

Shame, I will always have a place for Nintendo, but their time is up.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Not sure as the plans at best are unclear, they have not really made it clear if you need the disk in the drive while playing as with the current system (unless I have missed that bit), I do think there will be a lot of activity in the Microsoft backrooms on this and some very worried faces as it does seem very much like they have alienated a high percentage of the user base or at least with the Sony announcements made them think they have an alternative they avoids these issues.
    I don't think you do... They've mentioned that games can be stored in the cloud and have to be linked to a live account. I think discs are just an offline installation method now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    I don't think you do... They've mentioned that games can be stored in the cloud and have to be linked to a live account. I think discs are just an offline installation method now.
    You could well be right I just don't know, seems strange or risky to remove the need for the disk to be in the drive due to it being introduced for security.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I think only die hard fans will argue with the fact that the Wii-U has failed and is doomed, I can't see Nintendo releasing another home console and think they will concentrate on releasing games going the same route as SEGA, not sure on the future of the DS but they must be losing a lot of that market to phones and tablets.
    My mate was telling me last night that the DS has now become the biggest selling handheld system of all time... Even larger than Gameboy lol

I think they still have quite a decent market to be honest. Every BBQ I've been to this year there's always about half a dozen DSs that the kids have brought.

Thanks
    Karma Level

They do own that market and will do for a long time.

$ony are trying to put a PS3 in your hand but it is not all about power with mobile gaming. The Tech in the Gameboys has never been 'next gen' but they do a decent job.
    Another one of Nintendo's remakes - Zelda a Link to the Past - is about to come out in 3D and with 60fps! Not bad for a handheld but it will still look like a Gamecube Game at best but I cannot feel that they are trying too hard with that, they should stick with their Pokemon and milk that cash cow for all it is worth.

Personally I like a bit of Angry Birds on the iPhone every now and then... That is about as much gaming I get now unless I power up the SNES/N64 up for an hour or at a push get the 360 on.. I am still yet to complete the latest COD in single player mode!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm few and far between on Xbox now. Ain't fired it up in two weeks... Coincidentally, since I bought my lad a 3DS lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not so fast, vaquero. While Sony was cheered in heroic fashion for proclaiming that used games would be free and clear to operate on the PlayStation 4, it appears that the reality is actually a bit more complicated. Sony America CEO Jack Tretton has made clear today that while first-party titles will fit in with yesterday's "hands-off" approach, third-party publishers will be allowed to throw some curveballs. "There's gonna be free-to-play, there's gonna be every potential business model on there, and again, that's up to their relationship with the consumer, what do they think is going to put them in the best fit. We're not going to dictate that, we're gonna give them a platform to publish on. The DRM decision is going to have to be answered by the third parties, it's not something we're going to control, or dictate, or mandate, or implement."

That's the new word out of Tretton's mouth, which seems to indicate that players like Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Treyarch and pretty much any PS4 game maker outside of Sony's own umbrella can cobble together any combination of policies they want. You could say that it's not too different from how the PS3 operates today, but there's still plenty of room for clarifications across the industry. Hit up the source link for the full spiel.

PlayStation 4 DRM policies get a bit more complex: third-party publishers can dictate terms

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hahahahahahahahahaha eat that Fanbois!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hahahahahahahahahaha eat that Fanbois!!
    Eat what they said this at the event they held months ago it is hardly new?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The title of the thread... The big sell... But now it's upto developers...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The title of the thread... The big sell... But now it's upto developers...
    I never read the thread title but again they said it was down to the devs the other month - nothing new

Thanks
    Karma Level

But yesterday it was all about how it wasn't...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Confused... The One does not have it built in either.. It is the same deal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So it's probably going to be the same set up we have at the moment then

EA have been making people charge again for online services if they buy a second hand game (which they have now got rid of)

So guess each developer will be able to implement this if they want to which they can at the moment anyway

Confused as i am lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Confirmed

This situation is complex, but the outcome is thought to be:

• Any PS4 game disc can be rented, resold, offered to friends (etc) with no checks or restrictions.
    • The online (multiplayer) component of third-party games could be restricted to second-users (with a paid online pass required to unlock).
    • However, the online component of third-party games may not be locked - the decision is down to the publisher.
    • When it comes to first-party games, there will be no online restrictions.
    • Traditional DRM policy (no lending) applies to digitally downloaded games, as usual.

This conclusion was brought together when mixing Tretton's quotes with an official company statement.
    Tretton told GTTV that, "The DRM decision is going to have to be in the hands of the third parties, that's not something we're going to dictate or control or mandate or implement."
    But Sony communications director Dan Race told Gamefront that:
    "The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."

During its E3 press conference, Sony suggested that the PlayStation 4 will be unequivocally free from any restrictions on pre-owned games.
    "When a gamer buys a PS4 disc, they can trade in, sell it to a friend, or lend it, keep it forever," said Tretton.
    "PlayStation 4 disc games don't need to be connected online to be play, or any type of authentication. PS4 won't require you to check in".
    [FONT=Helvetica Neue]"It won't stop working if you haven't authenticated within 24 hours," he finished, referring to Microsoft's controversial used game policy

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...m-is-possible/

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the whole issue with restricting second hand games has put a bad taste in my mouth. Absolute greed. I don't believe I will be buying either console and I own one of each currently. If we all refused to buy, they would rethink their model.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default PS4 to support used games

If everyone went out, bought a game, played it for a bit and then lent it to a mate, how would you be able to play each other online etc..

Also I remember on the One reveal, the $ony Fanbois were laughing about the size of the HD been 500gb.... What's the PS4 one again?

It's funny. If $ony had revealed first then this would all be the other way around.
    Last edited by Goldberg; 11th June 2013 at 09:52 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If everyone went out, bought a game, played it for a bit and then lent it to a mate, how would you be able to play each other online etc..

Also I remember on the One reveal, the $ony Fanbois were laughing about the size of the HD been 500gb.... What's the PS4 one again?

It's funny. If $ony had revealed first then this would all be the other way around.
    ps4 hdd is 500gb and you can swap it out for a larger one just like with the ps3 - 2nd hand games are pretty much handled in the same way they are now

can't see what all the fuss is about

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast