Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default PS4 to support used games

This could help them lead in the battle of consoles IMHO

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PS4 to support used games

But you have to buy the 'eye' and you also have to have a PS account to play online (as live).

On paper the One has more to offer to justify the extra few quid. The second hand games issue is not fully understood just yet.. I think people just need to sit back and wait.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

2 Thanks given to Goldberg

EvilBoB (11th June 2013),  slain (11th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    But you have to buy the 'eye' and you also have to have a PS account to play online (as live).

On paper the One has more to offer to justify the extra few quid. The second hand games issue is not fully understood just yet.. I think people just need to sit back and wait.
    Yep, sensible words. At the end of the day with Microsoft's model, they can tweak the exact numbers whenever they like and allow you a game to be passed on as many times as they like. Make licenses completely transferrable. Create a market place in which used games can be transferred. Hell, users could put a game for sale and literally generate a license key they can use to sell it. When the key is redeemed, their copy of the game would die. All of these things could be added as it's all done in software. I'm quite sure Microsoft will admit they got some of the rules and limitations wrong, and will change them.

If they don't make some changes to what they've already announced though, it'll start getting difficult to defend it against Sony's offering.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I see a big shift in favour of Sony with this gen. 73% of US X360s have never been online. There's 27% of their sales handed straight to Sony right there alone.

Seems that after PS2 Sony thought they were top of the food chain and could do anything they liked. They got complacent about it and X360 made them sit up and take notice. Seems like MS have got a lot of things wrong as most of the buzz at E3 is very negative about Xbox One according to the feed I was watching last night.

Thanks to Mr.James

Bald Bouncer (11th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    I see a big shift in favour of Sony with this gen. 73% of US X360s have never been online. There's 27% of their sales handed straight to Sony right there alone.

Seems that after PS2 Sony thought they were top of the food chain and could do anything they liked. They got complacent about it and X360 made them sit up and take notice. Seems like MS have got a lot of things wrong as most of the buzz at E3 is very negative about Xbox One according to the feed I was watching last night.

Not that I agree with you at all but with the figures you quote you have got your "loss of sales to sony" the wrong way round. With the way your figures are presented then 73% not being online would mean a potential 73% over to sony.....But like I say I disagree anyway. The reality is this stuff is still being ironed out and the finer detail will come out in the end.

Thanks to DavidF

lithho (15th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

For me there are two factors to consider for 'Gamers'. At the end of the day, the majority of the games will be on both consoles.

The design of the console soon becomes an after thought.. At the end of the day you are looking at the images on the screen and not the console.
    Microsoft have gone for something that fits into an AV set up, Sony are still pushing the vertical standing thing.. Never understood this.. Might have been ok when people had 14" TV's to play it on, but now people tend to have 32"-55" TV's and it is not practical stood up like that. However in 2 years time you will see the 'slim' versions, different colours etc... Only yesterday Micro$oft went and released yet another 360 redesign! Why? Why market your new console but then say 'Oh, and here is a new 360 you can buy TODAY!' They must think people are made of money! That is money towards the One that people are spending..

Back to the two factors, as stated the majority of the games are on both consoles and look identical:

1 - The Pad. Which ever you you prefer is the console you should go for.
    2 - The 'Exclusive Games' - Do you prefer Halo or do you prefer Uncharted (etc).

For me those are the two factors that should be what your decision is based on.

Thanks to Goldberg

lithho (15th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Not that I agree with you at all but with the figures you quote you have got your "loss of sales to sony" the wrong way round. With the way your figures are presented then 73% not being online would mean a potential 73% over to sony.....But like I say I disagree anyway. The reality is this stuff is still being ironed out and the finer detail will come out in the end.
    Let's not forget Nintendo in all of this. They are clearly the 'Dreamcast' of this battle, but they will still take sales away.

Thanks
    Karma Level

most of the buzz at E3 is very negative about Xbox One according to the feed I was watching last night.
    Do you mean the sponsored Sony "press" people? or do you mean the sponsored web sites that are one sided? or do you mean the fanboys that Sony give free tickets to in order to heckle MS.

The only bad things I have heard (including my own musings) :
    PS4 looks likea giant square Oreo
    XBox DRM sucks

Now... bear in mind that Microsoft are leaving the DRM decisions to the developers.... May just not happen.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

lithho (15th June 2013)  

Awaiting Email Confirm Thalamus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

PS4 £349
    Share and sell games.
    No online connection needed....have been using Microsoft consoles for 10 years time to switch back to Sony ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is this what people are interested in now.. The second hand games market ?

Clutching at straws. This was never ever a factor years ago. A game only needs to be out for a month before it drops to £10/£20 and the reason for this is that game publishers biggest competitor is the second hand market.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is this what people are interested in now.. The second hand games market ?

Clutching at straws. This was never ever a factor years ago. A game only needs to be out for a month before it drops to £10/£20 and the reason for this is that game publishers biggest competitor is the second hand market.
    Absolutely. Also as I stated. Microsoft are leaving it up to the game devs as to whether to enforce the DRM for the second hand market. We may find out (Once they are launched) that none of the software houses actually implement it at all!

Microsoft have also stated that you will not be able to lend games at launch but again - that may be finalized by then for all we know - remember that there is still relatively little information out there.
    DF Moderator

Thanks to EvilBoB

lithho (15th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Yeah sorry I mean to put that only 73% of Xbox Ones have been online so 27% of Xbox users will have no option other than to buy a PS4 this time round if they continue using their system in the same manner. Possibly a slight change in those figures as I've just noticed that the article is now 3 years old.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28058/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Third party companies would be stupid to do it if they cannot for the PS4.

This is all going the way it always had. People who think they are not fanbois are been outed...

Fuck the second hand market, if you can afford to buy one of the machines then you can afford to buy the games. It does not say a lot for games if there is no longevity in them and you feel the need to sell them off after a week (and max 6 hours gameplay sorry cut scenes).

Thanks
    Karma Level

For me, the price is what it will probably come down to. €100 is a lot of money for me these days and since my PS3 outlasted my XBOX360 by 4 years (RROD) I am more inclined to go the way of Sony anyway.

I will probably hold back for 6 months and when the time comes it will only be if I get a bonus or manage to save up. Hopefully by then there may not be a price drop but a game or something thrown in as a package to sweeten the deal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know a sure fire way of obtaining more sales and winning the race..

Put two controllers in the box at retail!!!!! How many people buy these for the 'family' only to then have to fork out another £40 for a second pad..

As I mentioned M$ are throwing in the Kinect and that justifies the price difference with companies almost been forced to utilise it.
    For the 'must connect to the internet every 24 hours' argument. Games now days are shot out of the door regardless of the quality of the game. We see patches nearly every single time we boot the consoles up now in order to fix the game, the same as apps on phones.
    So if M$ are going to force a daily connection this will only benefit the gamer and it means $ony gamers could be stuck with a game they cannot progress further on until they do connect to the internet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah sorry I mean to put that only 73% of Xbox Ones have been online so 27% of Xbox users will have no option other than to buy a PS4 this time round if they continue using their system in the same manner. Possibly a slight change in those figures as I've just noticed that the article is now 3 years old.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28058/
    Maybe the 27% are DOA RROD boxes lol. Or maybe just some people don't go online because they just don't.

Also bear in mind that back in 2010 around 22% of PS3s have never been online either.

Think times have changed though - more people have internet these days. People saying "I'm not buying a console if it has to be connected to the internet" are deluding themselves. Chances are they use their consoles on the internet now! So what's the difference really? Those are probably the same people that wear tinfoil hats and don't have bank accounts so they can't be traced or monitored by the facist government regime we live in :-\
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

As I mentioned M$ are throwing in the Kinect and that justifies the price difference with companies almost been forced to utilise it.
    As well as Kinect, the official XBox One headset is being made by Turtle Beach so should be a higher quality one than we are used to.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

if ms would fully support logitech etc wheels, that would help them as its a huge bummer having to use shit wheels on it,

but i think ive been swayed to ps4, just seems to be more about gaming, which is all i care about i dont care about tv tv tv etc
    fortune favours the brave......

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it was a very smart move by Sony and as Mr James points out by the online every 24 hours they did instantly write off quite a large percentage of the customers and I would also say a high percentage of people with poor connections and download limits.

I think there must have been a lot of presumptions from Microsoft and Sony sticking to the high release price and going for the second hand and Sony have decided to go with a much better release plan rubbing in the points about Xbox One people are kicking off about that they will not do.

For me there was never going to be a choice as I have said many times before it's never been what's the best console it's always been what's the best console for you and although I disagree with the second hand games plan and the online every 24 hours or you can't play offline these will have little effect for me as I only buy a few games on release the others I wait until the price has dropped, my console is always connected to the net and I always play online even if playing single player.

I don't like the Playstation controller, I don't like the dashboards they produce and I don't think the system they have for friends online etc lives up to Microsofts or ever will because that is what Microsoft do best as it's their business so from my point of view it may make Microsoft rethink some of it's more aggressive plans.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

AD (11th June 2013),  dannyboy (11th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I may end up getting 2 of each for release date and sell 1 of each at a mega rip off price on Egay to subsidise the price of my 2.......I know this pees everyone off but it is a plan and we all know that their will be 1. A shortage come release/xmas and 2. People with more money than sense who just "have" to either have the console right away or want to please their 9yo kid for xmas lol.
    Other than that I may just wait until I get a hands on experience with both and buy one sometime after xmas.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast