Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Jawbone Up - metrosexual lifestyle tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    As soon as you add the Bluetooth etc.. you are going to be charging it more than wearing it. They might as well put two in a box or at least some way of charging whilst wearing or a replaceable battery..

Low Energy Bluetooth.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    No bluetooth sync = no interest.

When they add bluetooth, I'll buy one.

There is the Fitbit flex which has bluetooth, but has not got the elegant design, beautiful app and 10 day battery life of the Up. The company jawbone are the masters of bluetooth technology, they've been making headsets for over a decade so if they decide its not worth having bluetooth sync for weight, size and battery reasons I think they know what they're talking about. And most owners of the Up agree, that although it seems like a big deal, after you settle into it you only tend to sync your band in the morning and evening and you can do that within seconds without even taking it off your wrist.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

Geko (4th July 2013),  purpleanimal23 (4th July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.businessinsider.com/fitbi...up-2013-5?op=1

Jawbone Up VS. Fitbit Flex: Which Is The Best Fitness Band?

Kevin Smith/Business Insider
    The Fitbit Flex (left) and Jawbone Up.

Wearable tech is all the rage these days.Fitbit and Jawbone recently launched new digital wristbands that motivate you to stay active.
    These devices track how many steps you've taken in a day, how many calories you've burned, and the distance you've traveled.
    The Fitbit and Jawbone stand out from other fitness bands by tracking your sleep. The devices then help you to figure out how to wake up more rested. An added bonus is the vibration motor that can silently wake you up from sleep so you don't disturb your partner.
    Both the Fitbit Flex and Jawbone Up have their positives and negatives. But which one is better and why?

The Jawbone Up has the best battery life.

The Fitbit Flex's battery is said to be in the five to seven day range. In my experience, I got about five days of use before I had to recharge.
    The Jawbone Up is said to last 10 days. So far my device is at 75% after two days and the app tells me I have eight days left. I spoke with a more experienced Up user who told me that she typically only gets about five to six days of battery on a charge.
    Winner: The Jawbone Up wins this round simply because it doesn't sync with your phone via Bluetooth, which saves on battery.
    Score: Jawbone: 1, Fitbit: 0

The Jawbone Up has a better smartphone app.

Screenshots

The Fitbit mobile app is available for iPhone and select Android phones. It provides useful information about how many steps you've walked, distance, calories burned, your sleep cycle and even tracks how active you've been. The app is easy to use and works as you would expect it.
    The Jawbone Up's app just looks better. It's more visual, provides more information, and is easy to use.
    Winner: Jawbone. While the Fitbit app isn't bad, the Jawbone app wins for its better design and more features.
    Score: Jawbone: 2, Fitbit: 0

The Fitbit can sync with your phone wirelessly.

The Jawbone has to be plugged into your phone whenever you want to sync it. That can get annoying and there is a huge chance you'll lose the end cap, which covers the headphone jack.
    The Fitbit syncs wirelessly several times a day. You basically don't have to do anything and your data is stored either on your computer or smartphone.
    Winner: Fitbit takes all the work out of having to sync your data.
    Score: Jawbone: 2, Fitbit: 1

The Fitbit is more comfortable.

This one is a tough category. Both bands are comfortable. I don't like the clasp on the Fitbit because its hard to get on. Despite this, the Fitbit seems to disappear once it's on your wrist. It's so comfortable that you won't notice it's there.
    Winner: Fitbit. The Jawbone has a unique design, but it isn't as comfortable.
    Score: Jawbone: 2, Fitbit: 2

The Fitbit has a better sleep tracker.

Fitbit

Both devices can track your sleep.
    The Jawbone Up gives you an interactive graph where you can track your sleep minute by minute. Jawbone also shares information like how long it took you to fall asleep, how long you were in light sleep versus deep sleep, and if you woke up at all through the night.
    The Fitbit tracks less, but it does tell you at which points through the night you were restless or when you woke up. While Jawbone gives you more information, the Fitbit's sleep tracker is more accurate. There were times when I woke up and the Fitbit knew when the Jawbone didn't.
    Winner: Fitbit. When wearing both devices at the same time, the Fitbit's sensor was slightly more accurate.
    Score: Jawbone: 2, Fitbit: 3

The Jawbone Up has a better alarm.

Jawbone

The Fitbit can wake you up silently so you don't disturb your partner, you can have multiple alarms.
    But the Jawbone has a smart alarm that wakes you up when you're in a state of light sleep, within 30 minutes of the time you set. You can also set up to 4 recurring alarms.
    Winner: Jawbone. The Up has more sleep features and a smart alarm that wakes you up so you feel more rested.
    Score: Jawbone: 3, Fitbit: 3

The Fitbit is cheaper.

The Fitbit Flex retails for $99.
    The Jawbone will set you back $129.99.
    Winner: Fitbit. Cheaper is better.
    Score: Jawbone: 3, Fitbit: 4

The Jawbone up is more stylish.

Fitbit focused more on functionality and comfort rather than style.
    The Fitbit doesn't look bad but it also doesn't look as stylish as the Jawbone Up.
    The Jawbone Up has a creative design and looks great. It can complement any style. There have been many times when people will stop me and ask what I have on or they will mistake it for a bracelet.
    Winner: The Jawbone's design is unique and features metal accents.
    Score: Jawbone: 4, Fitbit: 4

The Jawbone Up makes it easier to track what you eat.

Screenshots

With both the Jawbone Up and the Fitbit Flex you have to enter food you've eaten manually.
    The Fitbit makes it easy –– it has a database full of items detailing how many calories each one contains. If you don't see what you ate in the database you can add it manually.
    The Jawbone Up is again much more visual. You can even scan a barcode or take a picture of the item you've eaten and the app will do the rest.
    Winner: Jawbone added the killer ability to scan or snap a picture of your food to add it to the app. It's much easier than just searching a database.
    Score: Jawbone: 5, Fitbit: 4

Winner: Jawbone Up

I like the Fitbit. I really do. But it's a little too basic for me. It does exactly what it's meant to do: provide you with data about how active you are throughout the day.
    But the Jawbone Up just has more features and it actually gives you advice about what you can do with the data it collects. While the Up doesn't wireless sync (annoying!), it has every other feature of the Fitbit, and then some.
    The Jawbone Up is a little more expensive, but for now, I think it's slightly better than the Fitbit Flex.

Final score: Jawbone: 5, Fitbit: 4

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/fitbi...#ixzz2Y3x21bQv
    We all make mistakes sometimes

3 Thanks given to Goldberg

Geko (4th July 2013),  GTI (4th July 2013),  rIKmAN (4th July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

My band is proving to be a great talking point.. several women in the office have already spotted it and asked me what it signifies .....their pupils dilating, lips swelling, crotches moistening and nipples hardening
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

Ganty (4th July 2013),  Scottio200 (4th July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have been looking at these for a while. I did see the flex. But want the Up. I just want BT.

I bought a fitbit ultra. But gave it to a bloke at work as it wasn't what I wanted (No BT - and the band is nicer). That was before the Up and Flex were out. Wasted £70 on it really. I only had it clipped on for a week.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Also had one for 3 months or so. I think its been a great buy.

Did you know that you can use it with other fitness apps? That's pretty unique as far as i know.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/07/0...ther-services/

It can also be used with Ingress on Android, although its limited to beta codes only just now.
    Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough! - http://toastlad.mybrute.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

So, how are you still finding it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Low Power Bluetooth now available on all Android phones running 4.3.

Just need Nike to bring out a Jawbone with BT syncing and I'll pick one up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

my missus bought me a jawbone up mostly to use as an idle alarm. I changed jobs recently and find myself sat at my desk for hours. I forget to get up and walk around, I forget to even drink ! Sometimes 6 hours goes by and I haven't moved. This has changed that. You can set a time span and if you haven't moved in that period it vibrates. I get up and have a wander, talk to people, have a drink etc.

Since then I've linked it to my runkeeper account so it automatically syncs my bike rides which I like a lot.

It's very addictive entering all your food etc, looking at the sleep and step data and so on. Very very interesting stuff and makes you think about what you're eating a whole lot more. I don't put anything in my mouth without scanning it or entering it now. There's a huge database of stuff, even own brand yogurts etc are on there.

I also linked it to myfitnesspal so it syncs food etc to there but myfitnesspal doesn't play very well with iOS7 yet so keeps crashing.

I also like the sleep alarms, buzzing slowly on my wrist it doesn't disturb the 8 month pregnant missus.

Really happy with my jawbone up. No issues syncing it, it really is under 10 seconds. and it's massively addictive to use on a day to day basis.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Are you still using these? Anyone got one of the UP24 bands with bluetooth? Any good?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Funnily enough I hadn't used mine for ages purely because it had a known bug and wouldn't sync with my z1.

An app update a couple of days ago caused me to try again and now it's syncing, albeit slowly.

I considered moving to an up 24 to remove the issue but I think if I was going to change, I'd move to one with some sort of display and possibly include smartphone notifications too.

Still no complaints overall about the up though. It syncs seamlessly with run keeper and Strava and the smart alarms work great.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df

Thanks to maltloaf

prezzy (20th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nah, its been sitting in my drawer for the last 6 months or so.
    At the end of the day knowing how little physical activity I am doing doesn't really help me much...
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

prezzy (20th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think they are very useful if like me you are trying to change your exercise or how much you move generally and your eating habits of course. As a toy it would get very dull very quickly.

I found it massively addictive and then frustrating when I moved from iPhone to z1 to find it wouldn't work.

Firing up the app tho and it's kept all my bike rides synced all the way through so I think I'll get back into using it.

Thanks to maltloaf

prezzy (21st June 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I stopped using the original band after about 8 months. Having to sync it by plugging it in became tedious and I'd forget for weeks.

However I got and up24 a couple if months ago and I love it! The BT really makes a difference for me. That, the app updating and the Increasing amount of apps you can join makes the 24 a winner for me.

I don't really want a screen and I like the slim form factor Up bands have.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough! - http://toastlad.mybrute.com

2 Thanks given to ptm

GTI (20th June 2014),  prezzy (20th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought the vidonn from focalprice and am pretty pleased with it. Would be good with GPS, but I suppose that would be a battery killer

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the input - just ordered the jawbone UP24 not arsed about a display and it seems to do everything I want and looks cool as well

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm waiting on the Moto360. Hoping that has all the capabilities of bands like the Jawbone Up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Moto 360 is a pure smart watch like the gear and the Sony smart watch I think whereas up, Garmin fit, fitbit, Nike fuel band etc are fitness trackers primarily.

Different devices, different aim, different markets, although some do bridge the gap, like the Razer Nabu that I've been looking at since it's announcement.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post
    Moto 360 is a pure smart watch like the gear and the Sony smart watch I think whereas up, Garmin fit, fitbit, Nike fuel band etc are fitness trackers primarily.

Different devices, different aim, different markets, although some do bridge the gap, like the Razer Nabu that I've been looking at since it's announcement.
    But from most of the reviews I've read the fitbit and the likes are dubious in their tracking. The ped0meter part seems hit and miss, as does the sleep tracker. I know from having the fitbit myself that the sleep tracker is not so good. I assume, that as most health tracking is being built into the phones now, that smart watches will be the sensors for the apps and will replace the dedicated fitness trackers we are currently using.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It all depends how integrated you want everything in one device and the trade off battery and resource wise.

For example my smart phone is ok as a bike computer but not a patch on my dedicated Garmin unit.

Also in actual use I've no complaints about the sleep tracking on my Up. Any of these devices are onlonly good as the data you allow them to have.

For example if I wear my Up during a bike ride, it thinks I've all of a sudden done loads of steps and there is a massive spike on the activity graphs.

Moto 360 is a lovely device for sure but it isn't a wearable activity tracker. If you want a wearable activity tracker you will need something else.

Thanks to maltloaf

Geko (22nd June 2014)  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast