Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Xperia Z screen cracked on its own

I thought I would share this as a warning to others not to buy this phone if you are contemplating one. A month ago today I was using the phone sending out emails and texting for around 30 mins and then started watching a trailer for Man of Steel with my two sons. The phone was pretty hot like it always did after prolonged use, during the video the screen slowly cracked from left to right without even being touched.The phone had never been dropped, crushed or misused. I just took it that it would be a manufacturing default and took it back to the place I purchased which was Phone4U whom promptly sent it off to their repair center. A week later I had a phone call informing me that the phone would cost £199 to repair and that it is not covered by Warranty due to physical damage, after a long argument I had the phone returned unrepaired so that I could send it off to Sony direct. Sony have now come back to me with a repair bill of £238 to not only repair the screen but also to replace the battery and other components inside which were not even broken. To add insult they want to charge me £14.40 to send it back unrepaired. I have tried explaining to Sony that the screen was not broken due to physical damage but to no avail they will not listen, I have even tried to escalate the case higher which they will not do. Doing a Google search brought up a number of people in the same situation as mine and even more on Sony's support forums but still they will not recognize the issue.
    I could repair the phone myself as the parts are widely available a lot cheaper but its the principal of the matter.
    I have Written to BBC Watchdog and will contact trading standards later today
    I really loved this phone and have said such in another thread on here but my advice is steer clear.

2 Thanks given to Mooncat

raelmadrid (15th July 2013),  stevo25 (15th July 2013)