Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Xperia Z screen cracked on its own

I thought I would share this as a warning to others not to buy this phone if you are contemplating one. A month ago today I was using the phone sending out emails and texting for around 30 mins and then started watching a trailer for Man of Steel with my two sons. The phone was pretty hot like it always did after prolonged use, during the video the screen slowly cracked from left to right without even being touched.The phone had never been dropped, crushed or misused. I just took it that it would be a manufacturing default and took it back to the place I purchased which was Phone4U whom promptly sent it off to their repair center. A week later I had a phone call informing me that the phone would cost £199 to repair and that it is not covered by Warranty due to physical damage, after a long argument I had the phone returned unrepaired so that I could send it off to Sony direct. Sony have now come back to me with a repair bill of £238 to not only repair the screen but also to replace the battery and other components inside which were not even broken. To add insult they want to charge me £14.40 to send it back unrepaired. I have tried explaining to Sony that the screen was not broken due to physical damage but to no avail they will not listen, I have even tried to escalate the case higher which they will not do. Doing a Google search brought up a number of people in the same situation as mine and even more on Sony's support forums but still they will not recognize the issue.
    I could repair the phone myself as the parts are widely available a lot cheaper but its the principal of the matter.
    I have Written to BBC Watchdog and will contact trading standards later today
    I really loved this phone and have said such in another thread on here but my advice is steer clear.

2 Thanks given to Mooncat

raelmadrid (15th July 2013),  stevo25 (15th July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xperia Z screen cracked on its own

lots of similar stories going round - mass recall incoming?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I cant see them admitting there is a problem, but I believe there are going to be more and more complaints as the devices fail. One of the effected people on the Sony forum http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/12...rt=30&tstart=0 has started a change.org petition for what good it will do https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...ustomers#share I've signed it out of desperation

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Once the complaints start to hit them via service providers (Three, O2, EE, Vodaphone) Sony will have to act but they are obdurate fuckers. .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

great news, I love the phone.... at the moment

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Once the complaints start to hit them via service providers (Three, O2, EE, Vodaphone) Sony will have to act but they are obdurate fuckers. .
    Unfortunately EE did not want to know about the problem and pointed me back to Phones4U, I'm now 3 months into a 24 month contract with no phone.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Little worrying, i love mine and haven't had any issues - yet

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncat View Post
    Unfortunately EE did not want to know about the problem and pointed me back to Phones4U, I'm now 3 months into a 24 month contract with no phone.
    Ah well. . . you didn't buy direct, Phone4U are in fact responsible. Once the big players start to give them grief they will shift (maybe)

And like grrrd, loving mine still a couple of Months in. . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

Mooncat (23rd July 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Ah well. . . you didn't buy direct, Phone4U are in fact responsible. Once the big players start to give them grief they will shift (maybe)

And like grrrd, loving mine still a couple of Months in. . .
    ONly gripe i have is that i use headphones a lot with it and now the cover for the headphones socket is a bit of a bitch to stay closed. wonder if there is a way to repair them?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncat View Post
    Im not an expert and im At work so can't check at the moment but what about sale of goods act? Is it not Within 6 months the company have to prove no fault exists.

Thanks to mitchb

Mooncat (15th July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry for bumping my own post but got the below from MSE

When you buy goods on their own, with no service attached, you're protected by the Sales of Goods Act. Yet if you buy goods as part of a service, eg, a handset with a mobile contract or a boiler that you ask a gas company to fit, you're protected by the Supply of Goods and Services Act.
    And if the goods supplied as part of the service become faulty, it's the service provider that's responsible for sorting the problems, not the supplier of the goods
    The protection's the same as the Sale of Goods Act, though - in short, the Sad Fart rights. It's just that complaints must be made under the service law instead.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...exchange#goods

Thanks to mitchb

Mooncat (23rd July 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's all true but the problem here is proving it wasn't physical damage which is pretty difficult with a cracked screen. I doubt the service provider would replace for free unless they were aware of a manufacturing flaw which caused it without physical damage. Imagine how many people would try it on with their other cracked phones!

The manufacturer should be key here, once they accept or admit a problem then it should be smooth sailing (see the nvidia GPU defect, although that wasn't always plain sailing even after admissions were made). Legal action, or the threat of, could help if you back your claim up with similar claims on the net which would amount to more than a coincidence.

none of this is legal advice but when working in a repair centre we had all kinds of faults come in with customers blagging but one fault ended up being accepted by the manufacturer and this was LCD delamination.

Thanks to evilsatan

Mooncat (15th July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    That's all true but the problem here is proving it wasn't physical damage which is pretty difficult with a cracked screen. I doubt the service provider would replace for free unless they were aware of a manufacturing flaw which caused it without physical damage. Imagine how many people would try it on with their other cracked phones!

The manufacturer should be key here, once they accept or admit a problem then it should be smooth sailing (see the nvidia GPU defect, although that wasn't always plain sailing even after admissions were made). Legal action, or the threat of, could help if you back your claim up with similar claims on the net which would amount to more than a coincidence.

none of this is legal advice but when working in a repair centre we had all kinds of faults come in with customers blagging but one fault ended up being accepted by the manufacturer and this was LCD delamination.
    That's exactly the point there is no way of proving what happened was not physical damage by myself, I cringed every time I spoke to an operator @ Phones4U and EE explaining how the screen magically cracked by itself as I know dam well if it was me on the call center end I would be thinking what a load of bollox. I didn't feel the same way when dealing direct with Sony as I believe they know there is a problem. I don't know whether to leave the phone at the repair center for a little while longer or just pay and get it back.
    My personal theory is that the batteries are expanding in the case when it gets warm and due to the IP water rating the pressure build up has no where to go except the large screen.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's a pity some people are having issue's with the phone, since i got my unbranded one i've resisted the temptation to buy an S4 and the one because of it. As soon as i got mine i fitted front and back screenknight covers, these seem to spread the heat a bit better compared to my mate's cheap ebay ones.

I thought it was a strong design as well, i have lost count of the times i've sat on it in my trouser pocket as well at work, there was me thinking Sony were back on track for making good phones again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just an update on my phone, I contacted trading standards and they recommended that I go back to Phones 4U for the exact reasons mentioned above and state theSupply of Goods and Services Act, I wrote them a letter and asked them to respond in 14 days or I will be taking further action. Just had a phone call from Phones4U and they are now going to replace the Phone free of charge. Under the circumstances I think they have been pretty good at offering me that outcome because I would not have believed my story in a million years.

2 Thanks given to Mooncat

beerman (23rd July 2013),  raelmadrid (23rd July 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one mate, the threat of further action was probably the catalyst but a good outcome for you!

Thanks to evilsatan

Mooncat (23rd July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

End of the day complain, Complain and Complain some more (especially when there shop is full of other customers) and finally they will back down.

Also if I complain by email about anything a quick CC to watchdog@bbc.co.uk usually gets you a decent response ;-)

Thanks to akimba

Mooncat (23rd July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whats that? A Sony product failing and they don't agree there is a fault????

Reminds me of the YLOD fiasco.....

Well done on your outcome, pays to be persistant

Thanks to AD

Mooncat (23rd July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

After experiencing Sony customer services I will think twice before purchasing a Sony Product again. I was considering a PS4 after Microsoft's greed with the 1 but this has swayed my mind.

Thanks
    Karma Level

going slightly off topic but I was very shocked by the way I was spoken too when I tried to cancel my PSN+ account over the phone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast