Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default National Service coming back?

A bill is in the process of going through Parliament at the moment regarding National Service. Interesting that it's not overly talked about (unless being TV Licence free I'm missing it lol). Do you think it's a good idea?

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...alservice.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: National Service coming back?

phhtt...they can feck off!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't fucking trust any of these useless cunts we call our young society to polish a fucking boot let alone clean the shaft...

Thanks
    Karma Level

If the army was actually about defending/protecting our country that would be one thing but I don't see why kids should have to put their lives at stake to make American businessmen richer. If they need more man power to fight their bogus wars, let them provide it. It's already taken a serious toll on their economy, why should we go down the pan with them?

6 Thanks given to Over Carl

Bald Bouncer (1st September 2013),  bub (2nd September 2013),  elephantsoup (1st September 2013),  Northernbloke (1st September 2013),  Rick Sanchez (1st September 2013),  XBOX4LIFE (2nd September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

So they extend the school leaving age and then you come out of that and then are forced to fight some pointless war for a couple of years. If you're still alive after that then you come home can't get a job and are forced to work for a big company for free until you are allowed to retire at 84 if you haven't already died....Oh to be young again.

3 Thanks given to B.I.G.

Bald Bouncer (1st September 2013),  Mule (2nd September 2013),  supraman54 (2nd September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The country we have today is due to thousands who did national service then on to the full time army.
    might actually teach the little fuckers some respect for their elders.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

2 Thanks given to consoles

Mr Slippyfist (2nd September 2013),  Rick Sanchez (1st September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I guess it depends on how it's set up - yeah front line infantry troops aren't maybe going to benefit the best. Someone who gets trained up as a sparkie or plumber etc it will help. I also think a little structure of having to get up, do something every day would help rather than roll out of bed when you feel like it.

I've def seen a difference between ex-military families and non ex military (all fairly middle class) with the ex military ones having more rigid structure/rules in the house. Not sure it made much difference in the end to the kids though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I will move my son out of this shitty country rather than allow him to go into the army. No disrespect to anyone serving in the forces. But I have taught my son to think for himself, to question authority and that war is bad.

I see a lot of negativity about the current state of the youth in this thread. But.... That's what they said in the 60s, 70s, 80s etc... Surely one of those decades was yours? Stop being such a cliche. Moan about the toys kids have these days, how the hairstyles are bad and how the music isn't like it used to be. You are just like every old person in history...!

4 Thanks given to Geko

Bald Bouncer (1st September 2013),  burner1 (1st September 2013),  ganjaman2 (1st September 2013),  Mule (2nd September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is it for both men and women?
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I will move my son out of this shitty country rather than allow him to go into the army. No disrespect to anyone serving in the forces. But I have taught my son to think for himself, to question authority and that war is bad.

I see a lot of negativity about the current state of the youth in this thread. But.... That's what they said in the 60s, 70s, 80s etc... Surely one of those decades was yours? Stop being such a cliche. Moan about the toys kids have these days, how the hairstyles are bad and how the music isn't like it used to be. You are just like every old person in history...!
    Totally agree mate. I'm ex Army and my lad (12) has gone on about joining up himself when he's older. I've never glorified war or any sort of conflict tbh, and I've said it's up to him but at his time in life now, I impress on him the importance to understand politics, history and social issues.

If he gets to understand them well, I'm hoping he'll get the big picture and knock any thoughts of signing up to the military on the head. I'm all for defending this country, but as it is, the only war mongering, greedy land grabbing maniacs we have are running the west as it is.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Capital Punishment is coming back too if passed

Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    Capital Punishment is coming back too if passed
    Two good things then, things are looking up!

Thanks
    Karma Level

And privatising the BBC, moving child allowance and tax breaks to married couples only, and banning the Burka.

From reading more into it, this is a move by Tory back benchers. A bunch of racist, regressive, out of touch, old men. This is a very regressive move for the UK, IF it was to come off. We may as well start hoisting the Confederates flag as it will be very much like bible country USA.

I cannot support this, nor can I see why anyone else would. Middle aged, Daily Mail readers are going to love it. But why would the intelligent?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

With the invention of the Internet it's far easier to coordinate a unified voice and make a stand, we have seen it happen already with social media used in the Middle East, 'anonymous' protests etc. I can't see a bill like this being passed, but if it was I think there would be a big 'fuck off' to the government from this country. This is supposed to be a democracy and I can't see any majority agreeing to this for unjust wars.

Thanks to evilsatan

Geko (2nd September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would hope that anyone fighting in a war would receive more than 2 years training, unless it was of national importance. If that was the case then I would whole heartedly back this.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with some form of National service.

Many teenagers grow up without the values or respect we learnt. They don't sit with their parents at the dinner table, but instead take their food to their room to eat it while playing violent games on the PC or games console. They don't listen at school which isn't really geared up for teaching them about life anyway. As long as they learn maths and English its OK if they don't know its very wrong to stab someone because you don't like them. I doubt if they are really aware of the consequences of their actions. They cant be otherwise they wouldn't brag about it to their mate's. They don't watch news and current affairs programs so its not surprising they don't realise they are going to get locked up for a very long time.

National service that is geared towards young offenders and out of work teenagers would be a good thing in my opinion. They would never be placed in a war situation, but would learn respect and life's values, They would also learn new skills and the value and rewards of hard work. (">

3 Thanks given to BigBird

consoles (2nd September 2013),  muttleymacclad (2nd September 2013),  Rick Sanchez (2nd September 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    National service that is geared towards young offenders and out of work teenagers would be a good thing in my opinion. They would never be placed in a war situation, but would learn respect and life's values, They would also learn new skills and the value and rewards of hard work. (">
    Surely the point of national service is that they will be shipped into battlefields?

I agree about todays youth, there is a misunderstanding of the word respect. But if teachers and schools were given a bit more slack and together with parents used effective discipline and taught morals as well as the curriculum we could see an improvement but I think it's gone too far now and we are changing into a horrible society, one that I am finding it increasingly hard to be a part of. I can see the attraction of moving abroad now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Part Quote taken from BigBird
    They don't sit with their parents at the dinner table, but instead take their food to their room to eat it while playing violent games on the PC or games console. They don't listen at school which isn't really geared up for teaching them about life anyway. As long as they learn maths and English its OK if they don't know its very wrong to stab someone because you don't like them. I doubt if they are really aware of the consequences of their actions. They cant be otherwise they wouldn't brag about it to their mate's. They don't watch news and current affairs programs so its not surprising they don't realise they are going to get locked up for a very long time.
    Who's fault is this ? Teachers ? Parents ? Governments ? All 3 ?
    Why should the army take up the slack ? The trouble is 1. Parents 2. Parents and finally 3 Parents.
    If parents instilled discipline into kids...dare i say if they spent time with their children playing family games and doing family activities and finally educating their kids....couple that with actually backing up teachers to enable them to do their job effectively you could wipe out most of the "problems" that teens face within a generation.
    im sorry but buying your kid a console/pc and then allowing them to waste their life on said machine is a huge part of the problem. It has been proven not to "work". Bloody hell the yanks led the way and we see the mad stuff their kids get upto...but we as a nation seem hell bent on following them down the buy them nice things route and it will all be all right.

Thanks to DavidF

Geko (2nd September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd like to see National Service introduced for all Politicians so they can appreciate what it feels like to go to war.

3 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

consoles (2nd September 2013),  evilsatan (2nd September 2013),  Geko (2nd September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    I would hope that anyone fighting in a war would receive more than 2 years training, unless it was of national importance. If that was the case then I would whole heartedly back this.

To be fair, you're in China.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    I agree with some form of National service.

Many teenagers grow up without the values or respect we learnt. They don't sit with their parents at the dinner table, but instead take their food to their room to eat it while playing violent games on the PC or games console. They don't listen at school which isn't really geared up for teaching them about life anyway. As long as they learn maths and English its OK if they don't know its very wrong to stab someone because you don't like them. I doubt if they are really aware of the consequences of their actions. They cant be otherwise they wouldn't brag about it to their mate's. They don't watch news and current affairs programs so its not surprising they don't realise they are going to get locked up for a very long time.

Why are we sending all kids to the army because of the minority you speak of? Shouldn't we be giving their parents some form of punishment? It seems they are to blame..!
    Last edited by Geko; 2nd September 2013 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast