Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Coronation Street's Le Vell cleared of child rape

Coronation Street's Le Vell cleared of child rape

Michael Le Vell told reporters that he was "delighted" by the verdict and thanked his family for their support

Coronation Street actor Michael Le Vell has been cleared of a number of child sex abuse charges, including rape.
    Mr Le Vell, 48, who plays Kevin Webster in the soap, had denied 12 charges in total, telling the jury he was "fighting for his life".
    His accuser, who cannot be named, claimed she was abused from the age of six until she was 14.
    Speaking outside court, he thanked his family and ITV for their support. He is now expected to return to the soap.

'Two years of hell'

Mr Le Vell, of Hale, Greater Manchester, was tried at Manchester Crown Court under his real name Michael Turner.
    The jury of eight women and four men took just over four hours to return verdicts of not guilty on all counts.

At the scene

Judith Moritz North of England correspondent, BBC News

It was extremely tense in the court room - you could have heard a pin drop.
    The judge began proceedings by telling the court room that he wanted absolute silence.
    There was huge tension in the public gallery and I saw five of Michael Le Vell's relatives holding hands.
    After they announced the verdicts, Mr Le Vell looked towards the jury at the end and mouthed "thank you" to them from inside the glass dock.

The actor had also faced charges of indecent assault, sexual activity with a child and causing a child to engage in sexual activity.
    As he left the court he said he was "delighted" and that the result was "a weight off everyone's shoulders".
    Mr Le Vell's friend and former Coronation Street star Nigel Pivaro, who played Terry Duckworth, said: "He has suffered two years of hell and, probably due to his high profile, far more than most.
    "Now the jury has spoken, he can pick up his career and his life."
    An ITV spokesman said: "We are looking forward to meeting with Michael to discuss his return to the programme."

Mr Le Vell, flanked by his family outside court, said he would now be "going for a drink"

His accuser, now aged 17, had told the court he had raped her while putting a teddy bear over her mouth to keep her quiet.
    She alleged that he had told her he was "just getting rid of all the evil and bad inside me".
    But Alisdair Williamson, for the defence, said her evidence was "inconsistent" and "unbelievable" with an "agonising lack of detail".

'Dark secret'

During the trial Mr Le Vell admitted he was an alcoholic who had a series of one-night stands throughout his 25-year marriage.
    Mr Williamson told the jury that while Mr Le Vell might be described as a "weak, stupid and drunk man" and a "bad husband", he was not a child rapist.

Coronation Street actor Nigel Pivaro: "Michael is an innocent man"

He was initially arrested on 30 September, 2011, but the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) decided not to proceed with the case.
    However, after a review of the evidence following fresh allegations by the girl, Mr Le Vell was re-arrested and charged in February 2013.
    The CPS said the decision to prosecute Mr Le Vell was taken after officials concluded there was "sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction".

Soap stars tweet their support

• Ryan Thomas, who plays Jason Grimshaw: "Just spoke to Mike and im very pleased to say he's NOT guilty!!!!!! Yessssssssssss!! Best news ever!!!!"
    • Helen Flanagan, who played Rosie Webster: "Justice. Strong man. X"
    • Angela Lonsdale, who played Emma Watts: "When is this trial by media gonna stop! So pleased for him."
    • TV presenter Philip Schofield: "It's bloody ridiculous a mans life & reputation can be so comprehensively trashed in this way."

A spokesperson said: "As these were very serious allegations of child sexual abuse it therefore followed that it was in the public interest to place that evidence before a jury at court.
    "It is for the jury to determine whether a defendant is guilty or not and we of course respect the verdicts they have reached today."
    During the trial, Mr Le Vell told the court he was "like a lost soul" who wanted to know why he was being accused.
    "Never in a million years would I do anything like that," he said.
    Mr Le Vell first joined Coronation Street in 1983 and his character Kevin Webster proved popular with fans throughout his stormy marriage to Sally, played by Sally Dynevor.
    He did not appear in any episodes of the soap during the legal proceedings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-24032449
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Coronation Street's Le Vell cleared of child rape

Quite surprised at this not because I thought he was guilty but because I felt he had been tried by media long ago and stood little chance of a fair trial..
    Well done to the jurors for not being blinded by the media.. lets hope they are right..

My question though is they find him 'Not Guilty' of ALL charges, so they are saying that the accuser in question 'deffinately' lied.. so will she now be charged??
    Never seems to happen that way but why not?

3 Thanks given to macmilm

AD (10th September 2013),  B.I.G. (10th September 2013),  Zoots (10th September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whilst I agree in principle this may then stop women or men who are genuinely raped or abused coming forward through fear of not being believed and then crucified for being a liar..Until you have a justice system that gets everything 100% correct (never) I think both parties should be anonymous until conviction.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    Whilst I agree in principle this may then stop women or men who are genuinely raped or abused coming forward through fear of not being believed and then crucified for being a liar..Until you have a justice system that gets everything 100% correct (never) I think both parties should be anonymous until conviction.
    I agree with you, it probably would stop some coming forward but then where is the balance to deter the false accusations.. I don't have the answers, but in general letting these ones simply walk out of court with no repercussions seems crazy to me..

But on the other hand lets hope (not just in this case) that the Jury have it right because imagine going through all that when you are telling the truth and the defendant walks free.. now that would be the worst

Thanks
    Karma Level

While I agree that anonymity should be afforded to both, just because he has been found "Not Guilty" doesn't mean he actually isn't guilty. He seems to have a bad smell around him. But... At the same time, if he is innocent - I have been sucked in by the media surrounding the case.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    My question though is they find him 'Not Guilty' of ALL charges, so they are saying that the accuser in question 'deffinately' lied..
    Not an expert by any length of the imagination, but couldn't it have been that they couldn't 100% prove beyond all reasonable doubt?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only other option other I can think of than only convicting people who confess is using probability which is complete bullshit you could have very little to no evidence but get a guilty verdict based on probability as the burden of proof is much lower.

Thanks to B.I.G.

macmilm (10th September 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hard one this I was a juror in the same court for a similar trail a few years back, and while I found it hard not to prejudge the person actually being part of the trail and having it drummed into you about reasonable doubt against the evidence presented did put me in a natural frame of mind and gave me some faith in the system..

My problem with this case as with many others is the media have assassinated him before he got his day in court remember Christopher Jeffries anyone...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am a firm believer of anonymity for accused in these cases until proven guilty

3 Thanks given to darkstar

4me2 (10th September 2013),  AD (10th September 2013),  littlebilly1 (11th September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it was me I'd be suing her for lost earnings, even if she had to pay a fiver a week for the rest of her life.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

3 Thanks given to 4me2

AD (10th September 2013),  littlebilly1 (11th September 2013),  macmilm (10th September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    If it was me I'd be suing her for lost earnings, even if she had to pay a fiver a week for the rest of her life.

Exactly.. everyday we see injury lawyers 4 u... what about .. innocent but accused by you ??

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Some of the headlines have been terrible. Sky said that he raped girl whilst holding a teddy. If you saw the headline without reading the article you'd assume it was true and not that he'd been accused of it. Shocking that they could write something like that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    As well as every news outlet that insinuated he was guilty.
    Until someone with very deep pockets manages to do so they will continue to persecute the male before the outcome is given.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The media will always do this so again even on balance knowing the reasons behind naming the alleged offender they should both have anonymity as it seems the only way to solve this.