Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1
    DF Jedi QfanatiQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    3,943
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked:        131
    Karma Level
    378

    Question At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Well, as per title.

    I am wondering as I was putting together a thread for a suggestions of old skool gaming, but then see the individual console areas (sony etc).

    So, at what point would say the PS3 or 360, or even Wii become old skool?

    Cheers.....Q

  2. #2
    DF Probation Goldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Landaaaan!
    Posts
    14,466
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked:        1,558
    Karma Level
    1154

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    I have been thinking this also. I think when the media changes then the hardware at the time becomes historic.

    So anything Cart based is going to be Old Skool. It is debatable if the PS1, Saturn and the likes are Old Skool yet (for me anyway) as Disc media is still used today. Ok we have gone from CD to DVD to BR but the disc is the same physical size and the PS3 for example will play all three types.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

  3. #3
    DF Jedi QfanatiQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    3,943
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked:        131
    Karma Level
    378

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    It is debatable if the PS1, Saturn and the likes are Old Skool yet (for me anyway) as Disc media is still used today. Ok we have gone from CD to DVD to BR but the disc is the same physical size and the PS3 for example will play all three types.
    You see, I would call the Saturn of Dreamcast, even MegaCD Old Skool. Is Retro the same?

    But that said, the PS1, I also think of as Old. Nothing to do with media, more support for me and new games, or lack of and ending of production.

    Q

  4. #4
    DF Probation Goldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Landaaaan!
    Posts
    14,466
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked:        1,558
    Karma Level
    1154

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    I think 'Retro' and 'Old Skool' can probably be classed separately.

    Lets take Fifa for example. FIFA 06 on the Xbox 360 is probably 'Old Skool' but FIFA 06 on the Gameboy Advance is 'Retro'?
    We all make mistakes sometimes

  5. #5
    DF VIP Member
    Mobileman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    No.1 The Toon
    Posts
    6,437
    Thanks
    1,624
    Thanked:        1,047
    Karma Level
    705

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    20 years , early nineties is defiantly old skool imo

  6. #6
    DF Jedi Mr.James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    town
    Posts
    4,264
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked:        408
    Karma Level
    544

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    I don't think you can use the game delivery system as the benchmark for old skool. Sega CD, Amiga CD32 and Dreamcast wouldn't qualify.

    I think you've gotta do it on passage of time... I don't like to think as the original PS as being old skool but in reality it's nearly 20 years old now.

    Edit: it's prob best to go from when it was discontinued. PS3 is gonna be 10 years old soon but I wouldn't start calling that old skool for at least another 10...
    ________________
    Sent via Tapatalk

  7. #7
    DF Probation Goldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Landaaaan!
    Posts
    14,466
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked:        1,558
    Karma Level
    1154

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Agree but the Sega CD, CD32 were machines that for the most part just had ports of games on them and nothing 'ground breaking' other than making it easy to pirate.
    Dreamcast had it's own 'Giga Disc' which meant if a game ran over the 700mb mark we had to lose various cut scenes, take out some music or have the flashy screen indication that the other disc needed to be put in.
    Also I would say the Dreamcast still has quite a cult following and people wouldn't like to write it off just yet into the 'Retro/Old Skool' Arcade. In fact I recently heard that commercial games (indie games) are still been produced for the system.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    We all make mistakes sometimes

  8. #8
    DF Jedi Mr.James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    town
    Posts
    4,264
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked:        408
    Karma Level
    544

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Retro and old skool are two separate things aren't they? I always though retro is something new, that's made to look as if it was from a previous era?


    ________________
    Sent via Tapatalk

  9. #9
    DF Jedi Mr.James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    town
    Posts
    4,264
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked:        408
    Karma Level
    544

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Agree but the Sega CD, CD32 were machines that for the most part just had ports of games on them and nothing 'ground breaking' other than making it easy to pirate.
    Dreamcast had it's own 'Giga Disc' which meant if a game ran over the 700mb mark we had to lose various cut scenes, take out some music or have the flashy screen indication that the other disc needed to be put in.
    Also I would say the Dreamcast still has quite a cult following and people wouldn't like to write it off just yet into the 'Retro/Old Skool' Arcade. In fact I recently heard that commercial games (indie games) are still been produced for the system.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Lol. I completely forgot about gigadisc. It reminds me of the original PS2 DVDs that people ripped, then re-encoded the FMV to a lower level so that the tips could be fit onto CDs.


    ________________
    Sent via Tapatalk

  10. #10
    DF Jedi Mr.James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    town
    Posts
    4,264
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked:        408
    Karma Level
    544

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Also I would say the Dreamcast still has quite a cult following and people wouldn't like to write it off just yet into the 'Retro/Old Skool' Arcade. In fact I recently heard that commercial games (indie games) are still been produced for the system.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    So does the Sinclair Spectrum though and that's defo old school...

    Doom anybody?

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    ________________
    Sent via Tapatalk

  11. #11
    DF Jedi QfanatiQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    3,943
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked:        131
    Karma Level
    378

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    20 years , early nineties is defiantly old skool imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    I think 'Retro' and 'Old Skool' can probably be classed separately.

    Lets take Fifa for example. FIFA 06 on the Xbox 360 is probably 'Old Skool' but FIFA 06 on the Gameboy Advance is 'Retro'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    I don't think you can use the game delivery system as the benchmark for old skool. Sega CD, Amiga CD32 and Dreamcast wouldn't qualify.

    I think you've gotta do it on passage of time... I don't like to think as the original PS as being old skool but in reality it's nearly 20 years old now.

    Edit: it's prob best to go from when it was discontinued. PS3 is gonna be 10 years old soon but I wouldn't start calling that old skool for at least another 10...
    ________________
    Sent via Tapatalk
    I think this could be one of those things always down to individual interpretation. A bit like certain differentials of Music Types/Styles.

    Q

  12. #12
    DF Jedi QfanatiQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    3,943
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked:        131
    Karma Level
    378

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Also I would say the Dreamcast still has quite a cult following and people wouldn't like to write it off just yet into the 'Retro/Old Skool' Arcade. In fact I recently heard that commercial games (indie games) are still been produced for the system.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Nice link. And I would agree, Even though I don't have many games and do not really play on it.

    I remember desperately trying to get my hands on a Net Yaroze, I cant program, I just wanted one. Silly money on eBay whenever they came up. I should have just sprayed my case. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Q

  13. #13
    DF Probation Goldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Landaaaan!
    Posts
    14,466
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked:        1,558
    Karma Level
    1154

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    As of today, my 'Old Skool' library consists of MAME, SNES (and before), Megadrive (and before minus add ons) and at a push and a huge push the N64... In fact maybe not the N64.
    Obviously you also have the Atari's (exclude Jaguar) to add to the list and the computers before then (Spectrum etc).

    PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, Xbox (the first one, not the 'One'.. You know what I mean), N64 (removed from above) etc.. I consider Old but not Old Skool.. yet.

    I think 'Old Skool' has to apply to the type/style of game too. Pick up and play... Ok the Nintendo's have Zelda/Metroid which were HUGE games back in the day but the majority of the rest of the games on that and the Sega systems you could easily pick up and button bash. Arcade games in the home. Satisfying.
    Now days the games are productions, full on 'you must play 20 mins before you even start the first level' affairs. How many times have you looked at your 360 or PS3 and thought... I only have an hour, I cannot be bothered. Old Skool never had that.. You could pick Mario up and complete it in an hour, or with the likes of Super Mario 3 you could knock a good few levels off and save it. Plus you never had loading times!!!!!!!!!! Installation to wait for! Updates to apply...

    I think I know what I mean.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

  14. #14
    DF Probation Goldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Landaaaan!
    Posts
    14,466
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked:        1,558
    Karma Level
    1154

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Quote Originally Posted by QfanatiQ View Post
    Nice link. And I would agree, Even though I don't have many games and do not really play on it.

    I remember desperately trying to get my hands on a Net Yaroze, I cant program, I just wanted one. Silly money on eBay whenever they came up. I should have just sprayed my case. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Q
    Yep same here, I thought that if I had one then I would become a developer over night lol.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

  15. #15
    DF Jedi QfanatiQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    3,943
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked:        131
    Karma Level
    378

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Not sure how, just foudn this on gamespot, scroll down for a wonderful array of pictures of games and cases dor DC

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Q

    Thanks to QfanatiQ

    Goldberg (17th September 2013) 


  16. #16
    DF Jedi QfanatiQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    3,943
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked:        131
    Karma Level
    378

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    I thought that if I had one then I would become a developer over night lol.
    Hang on, you mean you dont?!?!

    Most pricey one on the site
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  17. #17
    DF Jedi Mr.James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    town
    Posts
    4,264
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked:        408
    Karma Level
    544

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    If it can be perfectly emulated on the lowest spec laptop you can buy?

    That's gotta make it old skool surely?


    ________________
    Sent via Tapatalk

  18. #18
    DF Probation Goldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Landaaaan!
    Posts
    14,466
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked:        1,558
    Karma Level
    1154

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    Quote Originally Posted by QfanatiQ View Post
    Hang on, you mean you dont?!?!

    Most pricey one on the site
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I remember been a kid, getting the latest Nintendo mag and seeing a double page advert for a game developer role at Rare.
    I thought, I love games so I am going to apply and they can teach me on the job.

    I sent in my application with my best handwriting but then never got back to me. I bet that letter is stuck on their tea room wall

    I then applied as a games tester at Iguana. They were based opposite the office I worked in over Teesdale (Stockton near Middlesbrough). Two Boro lads formed that company, their first game was Oli & Lisa when they were kids! At the time they were known for NBA Jam and then Acclaim bought them. I never got that job either.. I typed that letter and used a spell checker too..
    We all make mistakes sometimes

  19. #19
    DF Wh0re Larrylakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    235
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked:        70
    Karma Level
    125

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    I don't think the change in media is a direct link to whether something becomes either old skool or retro, for example music can be old skool but it's still music. For my money old skool relates to something that is seen as old or from another era/fashion but is remembered fondly and indeed still cool. Classic rave, early hip hop, etc it kinda defines the genre. In terms of retro, I suppose it comes from retrospective or to look back at the past. I agree with Mr James in that retro means taking the style, look or design of the past and rehashing it for the now.

  20. #20
    DF Probation Goldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Landaaaan!
    Posts
    14,466
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked:        1,558
    Karma Level
    1154

    Default Re: At what point does something become Old Skool?

    What about the Hipsters who listen to music on C90's, Mini discs or even 8 track?
    I know Hipsters are cunts of the highest order but what do they class it as?
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Old Skool
    By Squizza in forum Old Skool Gaming & Retro
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th November 2015, 01:29 PM
  2. [NEW] Fibre point to point
    By Realist in forum Internet Connections & VPNs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd October 2014, 11:03 PM
  3. DF OLD SKOOL...
    By mrphil in forum The Dog and Duck
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th November 2012, 08:42 AM
  4. [REQUEST] old skool....
    By kronas in forum Music Factory
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd May 2011, 08:32 PM
  5. Point to point networks
    By Undertaker in forum Internet Connections & VPNs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd February 2007, 09:40 PM

Social Networking Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •