Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Recovering No Claims Discount Years

It's car insurance renewal time & I need to sort something out that's been bothering me for a few years. I need to know if there's a procedure I can go through to get an official confirmation of the number of years of no claims discount (NCD) I'm entitled to. The problem occurred when I changed insurer a while ago and their NCD box only had options for 1,2,3 or 4+ years. The following years renewal said I had 5 years, so like a tool I just let it carry on like that. I've really got something like 19 or 20 years of claim-free motoring, except for a replacement windscreen which I had protected NCD on anyway.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so what is the best way to get an official letter or email confirming the true number of claim-free years? I've been looking at the Association of British Insurers website & before I contact them via their website I thought I could ask here first.

Cheers
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Recovering No Claims Discount Years

When was the last time you made a claim? Work out the years from that.

Thanks to Brydo666

beansontoast (29th September 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I had exactly the same thing last year. They told me the maximum they would cover was "9+" and I went to them with 15. At the end of the year the NCD stated I had 10 years NCD.
    Not happy, I called them to complain for reducing my years of careful driving and that my new insurer would like accurate information.
    They sent me a Letter on headed paper explaining that I had 16 years NCD.

Any further proof required, just forward the new insurer your previous insurers details.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's not the years (20+ now I've had a think) that is the problem it's proving it. There's no past policies for me to present to a future insurer.

I've done some further reading and it's a problem for many people with even more claim-free years than me. If for example an insurer only offers up to 50% total discount for anyone with 5 years NCD then if that driver previously had 40 years NCD if they switch and select 5+ then when they leave that insurer they will only be able to present their next insurer with 5 years NCD confirmed by their outgoing insurer.

edit - cheers DejaVu

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry if i have missunderstood.

My situation - NCB = 12 or 13 years
    New insurer only goes up to 10
    After discussion I have kept my previous insurers register of my NCB to keep history. That way I can supply the fully history of my NCB as currently, who I am with (M&S) it will never go above 10 shown on my document.

I am also told, that it si only 10 NCB that insurers use even if you have 16 or whatever.

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a similar thing happen to me. I just phoned my past insurance companies and got them to resend my NCDs. If you have one for 15 years from two years ago and then one for each additional year following, that will count as proof of 17 years...

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by QfanatiQ View Post
    I am also told, that it si only 10 NCB that insurers use even if you have 16 or whatever.
    I think this is correct with the majority of insurers, but some do take more years into consideration when generating NCD bonuses.
    The insurers I have been with in particular that do are SwiftCover and eSure.
    SwiftCover asks for details upto 20+ years and eSure 15+ years. Interestingly, these are the 2 cheapest quotes I found this year too.

When providing proof, it can only sound better when transferring from one insurer to another that your actual NCD is 16 years even if the extra 7 years are not considered.
    ... and it's annoying when an Insurer provides your new proof as 9+ years when you provided 15 years the year before.

My NCD is what it is, stop trying to knock it down when I have worked so hard to keep it up!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

As there's info sharing between insurance companies to fight fraud etc then is it beyond their capability to have a centrally administered NCD database as well.....

Thanks to hoponbaby

Mobileman (30th September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    I think this is correct with the majority of insurers, but some do take more years into consideration when generating NCD bonuses.
    The insurers I have been with in particular that do are SwiftCover and eSure.
    SwiftCover asks for details upto 20+ years and eSure 15+ years. Interestingly, these are the 2 cheapest quotes I found this year too.

When providing proof, it can only sound better when transferring from one insurer to another that your actual NCD is 16 years even if the extra 7 years are not considered.
    ... and it's annoying when an Insurer provides your new proof as 9+ years when you provided 15 years the year before.

My NCD is what it is, stop trying to knock it down when I have worked so hard to keep it up!!
    Good to know. Not far of that then!

Q

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    As there's info sharing between insurance companies to fight fraud etc then is it beyond their capability to have a centrally administered NCD database as well.....
    totally agree this would be simplest option save them ages in letter processing and bullshit claims by drivers, ahhh but then they couldn't not pay out if hadnt lied and this is reason why they wont !

i had 10 years no claims on company car and 4 years before that on own then on last 48 hrs of working for them had a minor bump that was a setup IMO within 24 hrs all passengers has solicitors claim in ! now backup to 3 years but always wondered if i had got letter from the co wether i would show on a database as me rather than the company details

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck me I feel sick. My new insurer directline won't accept any copies of emails from swiftcover as proof of NCD. My old policy has lapsed so I can't print off the proof from the swiftcover site or have one sent to me, I can't fill out this form either as I'm not a current customer: https://secure.swiftcover.com/esales...oop=149&eenq=2 (<-- edit I did just complete it)

I feel like I'm in limbo now stuck in a fucking no-man's land. Wankers.
    Last edited by beansontoast; 9th November 2013 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a problem like this when changing insurers.the new one told me to contact my old insurer and ask them to fax proof of NCD over to them, dunno if this helps any mate......

Thanks to SpursSaint1

beansontoast (9th November 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

But what actual percentage do you get off the premium for these higher number of years.
    If there is a cap on the discount what is the point of worrying?

Thanks
    Karma Level

When you move to another company you may get more of a discount for those years so worth keeping if you can

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I never had any problem getting a replacement proof of NCD from Swift cover! Did have to ring them to get it though as the option vanished from the site after I printed it the first time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes the option isn't there because the insurance ended on the 30th of October.