Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Surround Sound Question

I am thinking about getting a new surround sound system and I was wondering what the best setup for this would be.

The new receivers now all seems to come with HDMI inputs and then an HDMI output to goto the TV and seem to suggest that it is best to connect everything to the receiver and then that to the TV.

What I don't understand is why is this the best setup when I can simply connect everything to the TV and then output the audio to the receiver via optical output or similar. Then I don't have to have the receiver on necessarily and can use the tv remote for everything apart from the sound.

Also with things like the new xbox coming out with HDMI inputs that may complicate things.

I still think TV first feels easiest but is there any downside to that in terms of quality.

Also anyone got any good suggestions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Surround Sound Question

Quote Originally Posted by inspectercoley View Post
    I am thinking about getting a new surround sound system and I was wondering what the best setup for this would be.

The new receivers now all seems to come with HDMI inputs and then an HDMI output to goto the TV and seem to suggest that it is best to connect everything to the receiver and then that to the TV.

What I don't understand is why is this the best setup when I can simply connect everything to the TV and then output the audio to the receiver via optical output or similar. Then I don't have to have the receiver on necessarily and can use the tv remote for everything apart from the sound.

Also with things like the new xbox coming out with HDMI inputs that may complicate things.

I still think TV first feels easiest but is there any downside to that in terms of quality.

Also anyone got any good suggestions.
    Amplifiers offer best sound processing - also a lot of new amps do better syncing with the audio. You can do it either way but if you connect everything to your TV then that's a lot of cables. If you wall mounted your screen it would be messy and therefore having a single cable going from the amp to the TV is more aesthetically pleasing.

These are the two simplest reasons.

With the xbox input it wouldn't complicate things. Satelite/cable plugged into xbox which is plugged into your amp. done.

I use the output from my TV to my amp now - but that's because the Netflix and Plex players on my TV are better than on my consoles.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

inspectercoley (4th October 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have 2 systems, one i connect direct to the amp, the other as you have suggested to the tv and then to the amp. I prefer the 2nd method because if u play a media file direct to the tv with a sd card for example, you get the sound through the amp. The 1st method you have to listen through the tv speakers.
    TAR seems to be a decent bloke!

Thanks to TAR

inspectercoley (4th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks both, I also play a lot of files through USB connected directly to TV so I think I will keep my current setup. I will still try and get an amp with 3 HDMI ports just in case I decide to change sometime down the line. Just wasn't sure if you would lose any sound quality doing TV to amp.

I don't have my tv wall mounted so it is a massive mess of cables behind there anyway so that is all good.

Was thinking something like this:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/...99/yama-yht199

I currently have Pioneer Xbox surround and it's really pants.

Also have noticed lots of sound bars around as well, surely these are pants in comparison to individual speakers?

http://www.stuff.tv/sonos-playbar/review

Looks good but not sure, and no hdmi inputs.
    Last edited by inspectercoley; 4th October 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks both, I also play a lot of files through USB connected directly to TV so I think I will keep my current setup. I will still try and get an amp with 3 HDMI ports just in case I decide to change sometime down the line. Just wasn't sure if you would lose any sound quality doing TV to amp.

I don't have my tv wall mounted so it is a massive mess of cables behind there anyway so that is all good.

Also have noticed lots of sound bars around as well, surely these are pants in comparison to individual speakers?

I guess it depends what sound standards your TV will output (DTS-EX, THX etc.). This is one thing. If you are using a THX cinema amp then it does process sound and audio better with a THX certified source (Bluray etc). Probably overkill though for what you want. I was watching a movie last night on Plex with the sound outputting from my LG into my Onkyo amp via fibre optic and the surround was perfectly fine. Couldn't tell the difference to be honest.

Sound bars are good but will never beat real seperate speakers.
    DF Moderator

Thanks to EvilBoB

inspectercoley (7th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I too, was considering the self same thing. And wondered about separates vs sound bar.
    The compactness of the sound bar appeals but the quality of the separates is better.
    Can't decide which way the coin should fall.

Thanks
    Karma Level

On a lot of new amps you can plug USB in t the amp direct to play the media file
    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

Thanks to flukesy

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the YHT-199 and for a budget set up it ticks all the boxs.

Personally I'd spend a few quid more and get one that takes at least 5 HDMI inputs even if you only need 2 now. I needed 2 when I bought it but now need 5!

Not owned a sound bar myself but from a demo I had in a shop of one it didn't compare to separate speakers.

Thanks to beerman

Thanks
    Karma Level

Soundbars are good if space or aesthetics are a consideration. If you want the best sound go for speakers. If the missus don't like cables and stuff go for a soundbar
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you go from the TV to amp will you need to switch TV vol off or switch to optical out every time you want the sound out the amp? Mine all go to the amp then TV, this way I don't have the amp on when I'm listening to the news etc. But if I want to use the amp I just hit the amp volume on the remote and it switches to it. I can still use the amp for normal terrestrial channels too as it has audio return.
    In terms of what to buy mines an Onkyo and bang for buck very happy with it.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks to Soulassassin

inspectercoley (2nd December 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have an Onkyo too - cost me £1200 a few years back now and it's still one of the best amps Ive ever gotten to play with. Onkyo seem to make some of the best amps and you can get good models cheap. My only issue is that the HDMI is 1.3 not 1.4 so I can't run true 3D through it from my consoles
    DF Moderator

Thanks to EvilBoB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd say plug it all into the amp as well. Makes the wires tidy and as mentioned already your TV might not output all sound formats so if you play a bluray in dts hd etc it won't play out the amp in that as the tv can't pass it through so it'll play in stereo instead etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you want best if both worlds that means two wires between amp and tv. Not too shabby and crisper than multiple HDMI for all your devices that's how I roll anyway hehe. It's all down to preference of use at the end of the day but plugging everything into your tv will be messy.
    DF Moderator

Thanks to EvilBoB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whwn i have got time over the wknd i will read the post more but i work for a distributer and can get onkyo amps a lot cheaper dwnon to. Really busy with kids tonight but i got the fincher an amp off here before

2 Thanks given to rookie

ant3b (7th October 2013),  inspectercoley (2nd December 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys, I guess If I can also do the audio output from the TV to the amp then I can have everything plugged into the amp in that case.
    My TV doesn't have DTS codecs so that could be an issue. Not too fussed about the mess of all the cables so won't go for a sound bar as they seem more expensive anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry guys totaly forgot about this thread. Ig you get me the model of the denon or onkyo amp you want i will check price on monday

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

FYI - I have the THX demo disc for surround setup. I had it in the VIP section for a while but it's off my server now. Could always rip and upload somewhere. It's very good.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to have the thx setup stuff but I never used it. I think to truly use that you have to be using thousands of pounds of equipment and be the 0.1% of people that can see the difference. Everyone sees video differently and as long as you are happy with the end result that's all that truly matters. That said : thank you for sharing it is appreciated.
    DF Moderator

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Nah, see your point mate.
    For me though it wasnt about fine tuning, it was to make sure everything was working right. Popcorn Hour, Xbox and theatre. I wanted to make sure everything was outputting correctly and all the same with HDMI and optical leads all over the place. All three media players can play the DVD and exactly the same demo so no fannying about with different movies and formats across the players. I haven't the patience for that! Set up, throw the disc in each player and job done.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a one bed flat and used to have floor standing and seperates but just cluttered the room up. I have a Sonos playbar below my TV and 2 x Sonos Play3 as the rears. Give more than ample surround sound for films, sports, concerts etc and way more than enough for music. I got sick of the wired leads looking a mess and running under carpets and then round the sides and shit. I was looking for a wireless system for ages, Sonos were the only one for me, I have been hanging around for someone else to come out with a truely wireless setup but still noone else has bothered. The only thing you could get if anything were wireless rear speakers.

I can control all speakers through my ipad or iphone, stream music and videos through from my NAS, I wish I had done it sooner and have never looked back, coupled with Richer sounds guarantee, I have no worries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast