Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Google To Start Using Your Profile Picture And Name in Ads, Here’s How To Opt Out

With hooks into email, social networking and of course the entire Web, Google knows just about everything there is to know about us, and what we do online.

Which is probably why its latest revisions to its terms of service caused some people to take notice, and after sifting through the wall of heavy and lengthy text, they were presented with one real issue that has been causing something of a stir online.

One of Google’s biggest businesses is its advertising business, and the search giant has plans to use our Google+ profiles in conjunction with its online ads to try and help users make the right choice when clicking ads and links around the Internet.

Called ‘endorsements,’ these personalized ads will amount to ads with Google+ users and their faces appearing alongside AdSense ads. Google says this will help people choose products that their friends like, and avoid those they they don’t and the theory is probably a good one, if you ignore some aspects of it. The problem comes when people start to see their faces show up across the Internet and the old creep-factor starts to reach eleven on the scale. Plenty of people are already wary of Google, and such moves will not help their mood.

Thankfully, turning the whole thing off is a piece of cake. Inside your Google+ profile’s settings, there is a new tick box that lets you to turn endorsements on and off. Turning them off means your photo won’t appear as part of Google’s ads, which is a win for those that don’t like that kind of thing in the first place.

Step 1: To make the magic happen, head on over to the Endorsements section of your Google+ settings, which you can access by clicking on this link.

Step 2: Now, scroll to the very bottom and you’ll see a tick box that says: “Based on my activity, Google may show my name and profile photo in shared endorsements that appear in ads.” Simply uncheck this.

Step 3: Now, hit the big blue save button right next to it and then confirm that you do want to turn Endorsements off. And you’re done.

Source
    Last edited by evilsatan; 13th October 2013 at 04:52 PM.

5 Thanks given to evilsatan

ilscuro (1st May 2014),  macmilm (1st May 2014),  R7UST (18th November 2013),  rmj2663 (1st May 2014),  steveskidby (30th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Google To Start Using Your Profile Picture And Name in Ads, Here’s How To Opt Out

Google is getting. a lttle too scary even for the laid back like me. Even if your paranoid it doesn't mean they're not after you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Google To Start Using Your Profile Picture And Name in Ads, Here’s How To Opt Out

I have pulled away from Google and moved back to Microsoft as much as possible.

I use ie or Firefox never chrome
    I use bing instead of Google
    I got rid of my S3 and replaced it with a Lumia 925
    Use Hotmail instead of Gmail
    Use Facebook not google+
    Use onedrive and Dropbox not Google drive

Don't get me wrong, MS are no angels but the amount Google dig into your info is too much for me.

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ace, I've got a fucking beautiful face, can't wait to see it out there.

I don't have a Google + account anyway, but wouldn't bother me. Anything you upload to a public domain is fair game in my eyes. Don't want it used/people to see it, don't upload it.

Viva Google.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Google ha as not respected privacy by default principles, I've stopped using them, including the search engine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steveskidby View Post
    Google is getting. a lttle too scary even for the laid back like me. Even if your paranoid it doesn't mean they're not after you.
    I agree. I'm starting to really dislike Google and I am probably unaware of most of what they are up to.