Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Leftovers, stretching meals out.

Rather than hijack the Slow Cooker Thread I have created a new one.
    We have been doing this for a while and Jamie Oliver is bringing it to peoples attention again with his new show.

Yesterday I slow cooked a Gammon Joint. The meat fell apart and it went very nicely with some Yorkshires, mash, veg from the Slow cooker and gravy.
    Only two of us so we can make a £5 joint go a long way.
    Today we have both taken some of the meat to work, me 2 buns with pease pudding (had a tin in the cupboard), the wife a bun with some sliced chicken she bought.
    Tonight we will be having Gammon, Eggs and Chips.
    Tomorrow I will take some for work again.
    For tomorrow evening I am going to knock up some rice tonight to put in the fridge and then using Toasted Sesame Oil I will be making two big bowls of Egg Fried Rice with the remaining meat.

So that's:

Six main meals and three lunches stretched out of the joint. It is the same each week, on the Sunday we cook up a joint and make as many meals out of it as we can. We have lowered out portions recently too purely because we knew we were just been greedy and can stretch things further. So if we knock up a Spag Bol or Chilli, we will do two mains and then freeze a third for another meal.

I guess what I want to achieve with this thread is what you guys do, how many meals out of a joint/roast and what they are.

Last weekend we bought a Roast Chicken when out shopping. Knocked up a chicken salad on the Sat then stripped the meat Sunday and made a stew with dumplings (thanks JO) and the Monday made it with Mash. The stock we made ourselves too out of the carcass and that was six meals out of a single chicken!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

3 Thanks given to Goldberg

chesser (14th October 2013),  moonrat (14th October 2013),  QfanatiQ (14th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Leftovers, stretching meals out.

Nice GoldB, I am going to take some of that away with me. I do like Gammon. For me, I find it is one of the only meats that you can freeze and remains ok on defrost. Perhaps the other is a beef stew. But even Chicken in any sauce or form seems dry, oh and duck, hence the recommendation below. But I digress slightly.

We have just come back from Provence, missus asked for a Cassoulet, I remembered a bakers brothers recipe (see below). My twist was using a whole duck, positioned up by butchers. I also used quite a glug of red wine in addition to the sherry vinegar. I find once done and first potion eaten, fridge overnight, then next day, a bit messy, but stripping all meat from bones FULLY, cut snags up into quarters, it then makes a nice stew, develops with age, freezes well. We have a little baby, she eats everything we do, so the chilli was omitted. The bread is a great suggestion, but I was not sure if it was to discard, tasted too damn good, massive shiny croutons!

I like potatoes, missus loves rice, works with either.

Not necessarily making something stretch, but cooking in bulk and it lasts well. Expensive on outset, but costs per portion will equal approx to £2.3, that’s all meat from butchers as well. Bit pricey, but as a treat on a cold evening its wonderful

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...ssoulet-recipe

Thanks to QfanatiQ

Goldberg (14th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

With the Baby due December I am going to be loading the freezer next month and buy a {spit} microwave... Purely to make life easier for the first few weeks.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

5 of us on a sunday and ill get a 2kg beef joint when its on offer.

I take a kilo of this and dice it into 2 bags of 500g and freeze them. then i get the rest and cut off 2 nice steaks. then cook the rest as a roast.

anything left of the roast will be used for sandwiches. the steaks get bagged in a marinade and stuck in the freezer till needed. the diced beef then gets used in a curry or a stew.

worth doing this when beef is on offer.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks to bbshark

Goldberg (14th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find if you arent a pussy when it comes to touching meat (no pun intended) then I get several meals out of a whole chicken.....if you strip it right down
    The Mrs has now completely banned any form of chicken other than free range in the house so thought I would find a way to stretch it further....

Chicken stock from carcass... chicken sarnies from scraps... chicken risotto from more scraps & stock e.t.c
    Also usually get a chicken & mushroom pie the day after the roast.. ( if you wanna be lazy take chicken & mushrooms/onions e.t.c and add a jar of cream of mushroom soup or whatever you prefer for the pie's sauce !!!! )

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

fucking scrubbers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Combine left over gammon with left over chicken (again stripping the really tasty bits from the carcass).

Sweat down some leaks - season / even just put some mixed herbs , stir in some flour , add stock and simmer down. Throw in the chicken and gammon and mix. Warm all the cooked meat through and you've got a very tasty pie filling. You can even put a bit of cream in as well.

Especially good as well over Christmas using up Turkey and Gammon.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bought this beef joint from a bloke in the canteen at work a while back, stretch this bugger out:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381788805.293930.jpg

Think it was £30
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...