Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Eminem - Rap God

Not sure how I feel about the beat, may grow on me, but I'm more of an old school kind of guy. However, the lyrical aerobics (4min25secs in particular) are rather impressive, even if the lyrics are rather vapid.

Thanks to Geko

evilsatan (15th October 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Eminem - Rap God

Will give it a listen now, I am a HUGE Em fan, only managed to see him live once though. Agree about the old stuff being gold, the latest stuff is ok, I hope the new style is a grower.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Will give it a listen now, I am a HUGE Em fan, only managed to see him live once though. Agree about the old stuff being gold, the latest stuff is ok, I hope the new style is a grower.
    I saw him once in Brixton when the SSLP was out, once at the Docklands for the MMLP Tour, once at MK Superbowl for the Eminem Show Tour and I saw D12 do the London Astoria with him. I am a big fan of hip-hop, but prefer the Westcoast rappers. All the 90s lot, of course. Plus the new school rappers such as Kendrick Lamar and Ab Soul... etc. I have seen Kendrick live twice. Hoping he comes back again this year.

My claim to fame is that the rapper Crooked I (who is signed to Shady Records actually and was signed to Death Row in 98) shouted me out on a track a few years back. It's really short and barely audible, but it counts.

Thanks to Geko

evilsatan (15th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't know if you've seen this video from Eminem, I am not a fan of the track, but it is also fairly new. Ironically, both the rappers I mentioned above - Kendrick Lamar and Crooked I - are in the video...!

Thanks to Geko

WRATH OF BOD (15th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seen him around 5 times now in total.

Although he's not really produced anything decent in years.

When he was on his arse with no cash and struggling he produced his best stuff. Now he's rich, famous, full of sleeping pills and shit his music is just fucking garbage.

You what annoys me the most, his reluctance to collaborate with other artists. No one wants to hear a 4 minute track of Eminem winey arse voice singing and rapping.

Bezerk was fucking awful, but that other track was decent but went on for too long.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Seen him around 5 times now in total.

Although he's not really produced anything decent in years.

When he was on his arse with no cash and struggling he produced his best stuff. Now he's rich, famous, full of sleeping pills and shit his music is just fucking garbage.

You what annoys me the most, his reluctance to collaborate with other artists. No one wants to hear a 4 minute track of Eminem winey arse voice singing and rapping.

Bezerk was fucking awful, but that other track was decent but went on for too long.

His skill now is far superior to what he was producing in the early days. But the content of his music has really dropped. He tries to get by with wordplay alone, which doesn't seem to work. Not if you want people to keep replaying your music. But.... People will still buy the albums.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Kendrick Lamar track from the new album.

I never liked his opening singles anyway. Since "The Real Slim Shady", they have been unpleasant.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think he's progressed, his ability yo make complex rhymes and make the rap easy to listen to what his appeal

As he's got older his voice has changed, and as you say his worldplay was cringeworthy.

Saying that, the middle party of verse 3 of this new song, shows his flow is still immaculate when he wants it to be, you know what the chorus was crying out for? Big Nate! Or a Snoop smooth chorus, just to break up the intensity of Eminem.

The Fab and Raj J was part was fucking funny though!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You are so lucky to have been on all those tours, I was too young to buy the CDs let alone be at the concerts I did however see him at V Festival (I went purely to see Em) where I had seen D12 earlier in the day and they came on stage with him and so did Rihanna and I think someone else did too... He also played some of his Bad Meets Evil tracks but mainly all his classics.

His new stuff is a weird mix, not as catchy as his original stuff but won't stop me from going to see him when he next tours UK or Europe. Can't see me going to Oz/New Zealand next year to see him though, too expensive to fly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think he's progressed, his ability yo make complex rhymes and make the rap easy to listen to what his appeal

As he's got older his voice has changed, and as you say his worldplay was cringeworthy.

Saying that, the middle party of verse 3 of this new song, shows his flow is still immaculate when he wants it to be, you know what the chorus was crying out for? Big Nate! Or a Snoop smooth chorus, just to break up the intensity of Eminem.

The Fab and Raj J was part was fucking funny though!
    His delivery and timing are far superior now to what it was in 99. He is able to alter the tempo dramatically and still stay on beat, hitting that first drum every single time...!

Your taste in hip-hop is very different to mine though. I don't like rap music with a singer on the chorus.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got lucky with two of them, I was in Boston to see family and he was doing two shows, one is Boston and one in New York, shortly after I left Boston I flew to NY and went and saw him again.

He's fucking immense live, blows every other rapper away.

I'm still in love with Slim Shady LP and MMLP to be honest, infinite was good but too raw for me.

I personally think his best verse in recent years was on the second half of the Lil Wayne track for Hataway cover - No Love.

Track itself is pretty fucking sick, and I hate Wayne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2ssT8lzj8

Just been listening to Survival again, the studio edit isn't bad. Wonder what the take on him claiming to prop G Unit up, which he did to be fare! Class.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got lucky with two of them, I was in Boston to see family and he was doing two shows, one is Boston and one in New York, shortly after I left Boston I flew to NY and went and saw him again.

He's fucking immense live, blows every other rapper away.

I'm still in love with Slim Shady LP and MMLP to be honest, infinite was good but too raw for me.

I personally think his best verse in recent years was on the second half of the Lil Wayne track for Hataway cover - No Love.

Track itself is pretty fucking sick, and I hate Wayne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2ssT8lzj8

Just been listening to Survival again, the studio edit isn't bad. Wonder what the take on him claiming to prop G Unit up, which he did to be fare! Class.

The only decent track on the album in my opinion. I don't like the hathaway sample, but I admit it does work. I did like Lil Wayne back in the Carter III days, and still think his wordplay is complex, on this track every line has a dual meaning.

Thanks to Geko

BigBrand (15th October 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i love all the original stuff when there was a lot of hate and anger with a story to tell, but then he got rich and he isnt the kinda guy that can pull off rapping about money and bitches and rides so its a struggle, also you dont get what you used to with freestyling that art has pretty much gone now compared to what it was like in his day and just before with biggie. i do like bezerk it was a bit more old school, i am hoping the new album though will be better than the last few really.

he blatantly needs to find his mum to hate on her some more and hating kim again lol or better still get making tracks with dre again like they used to back in the day

Thanks
    Karma Level

im loving Berzerk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    The only decent track on the album in my opinion. I don't like the hathaway sample, but I admit it does work. I did like Lil Wayne back in the Carter III days, and still think his wordplay is complex, on this track every line has a dual meaning.
    I wasn't sold, but like you I think it just works. Both rappers verse are fucking ace on this. Wayne is capable of very complex stuff, takes you a good few listened sometimes to get hold of what he's saying.

Would love to see Em do this in a studio etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pratman View Post
    i love all the original stuff when there was a lot of hate and anger with a story to tell, but then he got rich and he isnt the kinda guy that can pull off rapping about money and bitches and rides so its a struggle, also you dont get what you used to with freestyling that art has pretty much gone now compared to what it was like in his day and just before with biggie. i do like bezerk it was a bit more old school, i am hoping the new album though will be better than the last few really.

he blatantly needs to find his mum to hate on her some more and hating kim again lol or better still get making tracks with dre again like they used to back in the day
    Agreed, although if you're stoned or pissed 3am is a fucking creepy as fuck track, relapse was just a mental time for him and fuck does his music show for that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to love his old stuff but his new stuff is shite (sorry to say he's selling out) he used to be good back in the day but now it's all about money.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Technically Rap God is a masterpiece. But like I said above, very little content.

Thought I'd mention the site rap genius here. It's very good. Breaks down all the lyrics in a song and shows how they originate or what they mean. It's a useful tool for rap geeks.

http://rapgenius.com/Eminem-rap-god-lyrics
    Last edited by Geko; 16th October 2013 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post

Don't know if you've seen this video from Eminem, I am not a fan of the track, but it is also fairly new. Ironically, both the rappers I mentioned above - Kendrick Lamar and Crooked I - are in the video...!
    Actually been listening to this a bit today.
    after my last comment i thought i would give it a chance.

Im slightly addicted to this one tune now
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

well only about 3 weeks before the album is out so that is something i cant wait for

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    Actually been listening to this a bit today.
    after my last comment i thought i would give it a chance.

Im slightly addicted to this one tune now

I just like the video because Crooked I is in it. Otherwise I am not a fan.