Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Rice

This subject has been brought up time and time again. Never had a rice cooker and to be honest we simply do not have the space for one with all of my other Kitchen Gadgets (most of which are just on display).

But I feel I have now nailed it after looking up online and messing slightly.

* Firstly get a mug, pour out a cup full. This will do 2 people as a main meal or 3 if a side.
    * Wash the rice, I use a sieve and try to get the water clear. Some people soak it for 30 mins in a bowl of cold water.
    * Drain and add to a pan on a medium heat
    * Here is the new bit I have been doing. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan. It won't seem like much but it is enough!
    - The oil coats the rice and sticks to it. Move the rice around for 2-4 mins until the rice starts to become translucent. Do not burn the rice!
    * Boil the kettle, add two cups of water (basically it is 2/1 water/rice) to the pan.
    * The water will bubble immediately! Turn the heat down to the lowest setting. I always do the rice on the small/medium hob.
    * Give it a stir (at this point I add a couple of teaspoons of Tumeric to make yellow rice and/or a chicken stock cube depending on dish).
    * Put some foil over the top and put the lid on
    * Leave it there on the lowest setting for 15 mins - after 15 mins turn off the heat and leave covered (do not uncover) for a further 15 mins.
    * If you stick to the above quantities and time, you will have perfect rice. None of it will be stuck to the bottom of the pan and the rice will not stick together because of the oil.

Providing you follow the quantities it will be perfect. Do not try to add more oil/water because you think it was not enough. I have played that game and realised you don't need to.

If you think it is a bit 'wet' at the end then pour into a sieve and leave for a couple of mins. Then you should be good to go.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

2 Thanks given to Goldberg

macmilm (17th October 2013),  Teajunkie (21st October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Rice

Exactly the way I do it. If it is normal boiled rice I dont bother with the oil and perfect each time. If something like spanish or mexican rice you should add the tumeric, cumin, cayenne etc while the rice is frying gently in the oil and then add the water after it is translucent. Spices open up when fried in oil.

Thanks to keyser666

Goldberg (17th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I did consider adding the turmeric last night when frying but was worried it might soak the oil and lump up.
    I have tried cayenne and cumin before but it didn't really give me the taste i was looking for. Same with coriander powder or even stalks when cooking, your much better adding fresh coriander to it at the end.

Will give it a go again next time. Gone are the days of scraping rice, often burnt, off the bottom of the pan.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My way - from a Honkongnese china man.

1 cup
    2 cups water
    small gas ring on lowest
    Lid on
    leave 20 mins/30 Pending on chill of water.

If you are using certain rices you will either get fluffy and single and fluffy and sticky. I make our chouce pending what we are eating, as i buy bags at 15-20kg a time they last and proves to be so damn cheap!

His comments back on the above are dont wash rice, makes no difference no matter what quality. Oil will often close rice down so water cannot fully penetrate and you will get uncooked pieces (but sounds like you are happy with your efforts and no such issues). No need for foil, added expense and foil is expensive.

The leave addition he will do for traditional Japanese style sticky sushi rice

I personally add Cardomen occasionally. I have toyed with safron, but fail to get good results. Only other method for me is Jamacan rice. One cup rice, one coconut milk, one water, mixed herbs, one can kidney beans (or pferefered hardie bean (black eye etc)), half a finely chopped white or sweet onion. One glove of garlic. all in a pan. One scotch bonnett chilli pepper, placed in middle, slightly puches down. Same times as above for me. Once cooked, take pepper out before a stir through.

I have a horrible ceramic hob, so always on for 20+10 stand on a plate that is not hot

I think bottom line, if it works for you carry on, sometimes I fear replies can sound like YOUR DOING IT WRONG, when really many of us have different means of getting good results, sometimes better, but never better than mine and if they are, in wont tell.

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't say it is uncooked, it is very cooked.
    Foil, the lids on the pans - even though they are le Creuset, do not keep the steam in! So I add a sheet of foil to help. As for been expensive, yes it is but I buy rolls of the Sainsburys basics stuff.

Finally, the big bags of rice. We tried this, huge bag for £5 on offer in the supermarket. We came back of Holiday and mice had been at it! Whole thing got thrown away and had to deal with a mouse problem. Was a new house and there was access to the outside through the pipework... Quickly sorted it though and we no longer live there so not our problem
    So because of that we won't buy the big bag now, Shame really as we go through a lot and it is not cheap!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I gave him a load of hassle last night on twitter calling him out with a load of info on his previously failed companies and stuff, of which he has deleted this morning, he has updated it now to say:

We Provide You With The Information To Know How To

If you understand how to stream Sport, Movies, Tv Programs and other such material off the internet, we advise you not to purchase this information from us today, tomorrow or at any time in the future.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by keyser666 View Post
    I gave him a load of hassle last night on twitter calling him out with a load of info on his previously failed companies and stuff, of which he has deleted this morning, he has updated it now to say:

We Provide You With The Information To Know How To

If you understand how to stream Sport, Movies, Tv Programs and other such material off the internet, we advise you not to purchase this information from us today, tomorrow or at any time in the future.
    Buhahaha, I really want to know who.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    This subject has been brought up time and time again. Never had a rice cooker and to be honest we simply do not have the space for one with all of my other Kitchen Gadgets (most of which are just on display).

But I feel I have now nailed it after looking up online and messing slightly.

* Firstly get a mug, pour out a cup full. This will do 2 people as a main meal or 3 if a side.
    * Wash the rice, I use a sieve and try to get the water clear. Some people soak it for 30 mins in a bowl of cold water.
    * Drain and add to a pan on a medium heat
    * Here is the new bit I have been doing. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan. It won't seem like much but it is enough!
    - The oil coats the rice and sticks to it. Move the rice around for 2-4 mins until the rice starts to become translucent. Do not burn the rice!
    * Boil the kettle, add two cups of water (basically it is 2/1 water/rice) to the pan.
    * The water will bubble immediately! Turn the heat down to the lowest setting. I always do the rice on the small/medium hob.
    * Give it a stir (at this point I add a couple of teaspoons of Tumeric to make yellow rice and/or a chicken stock cube depending on dish).
    * Put some foil over the top and put the lid on
    * Leave it there on the lowest setting for 15 mins - after 15 mins turn off the heat and leave covered (do not uncover) for a further 15 mins.
    * If you stick to the above quantities and time, you will have perfect rice. None of it will be stuck to the bottom of the pan and the rice will not stick together because of the oil.

Providing you follow the quantities it will be perfect. Do not try to add more oil/water because you think it was not enough. I have played that game and realised you don't need to.

If you think it is a bit 'wet' at the end then pour into a sieve and leave for a couple of mins. Then you should be good to go.
    Fuck it!! 'Uncle Bens' can do it for me ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't say it is uncooked, it is very cooked.
    Foil, the lids on the pans - even though they are le Creuset, do not keep the steam in! So I add a sheet of foil to help. As for been expensive, yes it is but I buy rolls of the Sainsburys basics stuff.

Finally, the big bags of rice. We tried this, huge bag for £5 on offer in the supermarket. We came back of Holiday and mice had been at it! Whole thing got thrown away and had to deal with a mouse problem. Was a new house and there was access to the outside through the pipework... Quickly sorted it though and we no longer live there so not our problem
    So because of that we won't buy the big bag now, Shame really as we go through a lot and it is not cheap!
    Your cheap GoldB, down right and dirty cheap. Sainsbury's basics tin foil. How could you.

Mice, more protein no? Even living in London when we did, I am pleased we did not suffer. I worry more about moisture (overly so) than that, thankfully. Yes, if thos problems are present. Certain bulk foods are not an option!

Me to, search that line and rice maybe? DF will come up though!

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

I go with the somewhat lazier, Jamie Oliver 30min meals, no wash, 7min cook, 7min sit method, nowadays myself ....

Kettle on
    Weigh out the rice in a measuring jug and make a note of the volume
    Add the rice to a pan with a lid
    Add a pinch of salt per portion
    When the kettle boils, measure out twice the volume of water to rice
    Add the water to the rice pan and bring to the boil while stirring
    Put the lid on the pan and let it boil for 7mins
    Stir the rice again, switch the heat off and put the lid back on for another 7 mins
    Stir the rice with a fork to fluff it up and serve.

If you cook it for longer, by accident, so long as you let it sit in the pan with the lid on for at least 5 mins afterwards it's quite forgiving and makes no difference imo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie on hill View Post
    I go with the somewhat lazier, Jamie Oliver 30min meals, no wash, 7min cook, 7min sit method, nowadays myself
    While I like the sound of speed. there are a few things for me
    1. Requires some work (stiring and boiling)
    2. String can give undesired clumpy sticky rice, even to types that don't stick.

However, I will give it a go. If it proves this is a better method. I shall Hadoken my mate and claim it for myself!

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oops, for another thread

Thanks to keyser666

Goldberg (17th October 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just used Goldbergs method and it's bang on
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Top man, I stole it from the interweb

Got a chicken and lentil curry cooking away nicely now, will be whacking the rice on later.

The key to the rice is not to use too much oil but not too little either.
    Did you add the turmeric?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Top man, I stole it from the interweb

Got a chicken and lentil curry cooking away nicely now, will be whacking the rice on later.

The key to the rice is not to use too much oil but not too little either.
    Did you add the turmeric?
    No mate as I was cooking the Thai dish Gapow moo so used Jasmine rice with a nice Kai Dao (fried egg) on top. Yummy
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks to satzzz

Goldberg (20th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

At the weekend I tried a play on a Malaysian dish.

Rice cooked in chicken stock.

All I did was add some of the juices of my roast chicken (that had onions, garlic and herbs added to is, rubbed in olive oil) to the pan during the last stages of cooking. Dripped a little in, stirred and left as usual.

Made rich super sticky, but was lush (to use kids speak).

Q

Thanks to QfanatiQ

Goldberg (21st October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have done it with a stock cube before but never actual stock.
    I think Stock would be a much better option as the cubes can be a bit salty/bitty.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    Fuck it!! 'Uncle Bens' can do it for me ;-)

Just cook the rice bitch!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks to Nibb

QfanatiQ (21st October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It was a very faint twist on a friends recipe.

The original is along the lines of

Boil whosl chicken in pot
    Use water from pot to cook rice in
    Serve in bowl with sliced cucmber and Tomato and some more stock water

All cold!

I need to go back and find out what seasoning was used. It was incredible.

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I have watched a lot of food programs from around the world, eaten in a lot of different types of restaurants but never ever ever heard of that dish!

It actually sounds really nice, something I could easily have at lunch. It sounds like a Malaysian version of a Salad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast