Why I decided to transform

I decided to transform my body because I was unhappy. I created two perfect human beings and it literally took everything I had. I broke my pubic bone twice (once with each child) and barely got around. I gained lots of weight, which made it hard physically and mentally. I missed taking long runs and shopping for cute clothes and was determined to get it back. Life always finds a way to knock you down, but you must find strength in yourself to keep climbing.
I naturally delivered my nine-pound baby boys and had a two-millimeter separation of the pubic bone. It's actually a piece of cartilage (pubic symphysis) and takes a long time to heal. I had doctor supervision, a chiropractor, physical therapist, acupuncture, cranial sacral, and plenty of willpower to forge through the injury.
My mental health has been restored through my physical transformation. Seeing results in my work and dedication, and the positive changes in my mood and body from eating healthy gave me the ability to see that everything is okay.
Before
After
AGE 29 / HEIGHT 5'4" / BODY FAT 43%
AGE 31 / HEIGHT 5'4" / BODY FAT 16%

Post To FitboardRegaining my physical health was the best thing I ever did. It helped heal emotional damage. I became a better mother to my kids, a better wife to my husband, a better daughter to my parents, a better sibling, and most importantly, a better person to myself. Building up our local community is an important process to live a healthy life. I want to inspire people to become fit and show my community it can be done through hard work and persistence.
My relationships in the past two years have grown far beyond my dreams. Transforming physically helped me find time emotionally. I created space for myself and realized how much more I'm able to give back. Working out opened many doors in my life.
I formed an amazing group of women in my community who also want to achieve a fit lifestyle for them and their families. We lift each other up and strive to help each other. Women need to stand together as one and be kind to one another. I want my children to see the value in a support system with like-minded and dedicated people.
Cool Fact

Sky is an activist for student loan debt reform and was interviewed
on CNN with Carol Costello after her YouTube video received
major recognition!

I became a certified fitness trainer with the International Sports Science Association. I want to help others learn about health and overcome their fear of the gym to reach their full potential. My bachelor's degree wasn't enough in today's job market to offer me a position in my field and I wanted to help provide for our family. I consider myself a work-at-home mom. Fitness changed my life. It allowed me to see what has always been there, but was lost along the way.
How I accomplished my goals

I set goals for myself throughout the entire transformation process. At first, it was to run 400 feet. I was in serious pain from my injury and allowed it to paralyze me. I still think back to that run and how much I wanted it to move forward.
When I started my transformation, it was about achieving small tasks and giving myself time to work out. My husband purchased an elliptical for our house so I could exercise with the baby in the winter. We saved during my pregnancy and knew our investment would pay off. We called it my "push gift." I'm in love with aerobic exercise. As a child, I played soccer and ran track. I learned over time that a good cardio workout can literally change your mood and help you think, sleep, and eat and more.
"My mental health has been restored through my physical transformation."
I find inspiration from music, Pinterest, Facebook, Bodybuilding.com, and BodySpace. My husband and kids help keep me on track. If I fill my cup first, I'll be a better mom and wife for my family. My husband is my biggest supporter and helps me see the big picture. He's very fit and provides me time to make my transformation possible.
I'm a goal-orientated person and constantly go back to the little goals to fuel me through the down days. I love cycling class in a dark room with loud music. On bad days, I crank up the resistance and get into the ride. I follow shadows in the room to pace myself and remember that I'm not in competition with anyone except the person I was yesterday. I found strength to blog about my goals, setbacks, and accomplishments on BodySpace.
I ran a 5k this year and pushed my boys in a double-jogging stroller. I also ran my first WarriorDash 5k and finished in less than 39 minutes. Two years ago, I was unable to walk a mile, now I run up mountains with obstacles. All the mini goals add up to a fit lifestyle. When I feel like giving up, I think about the first 400-foot run and remember I'm the only person stopping myself from making it happen.
Apply Here To Be A Transformation
Of The Week!

Bodybuilding.com honors people across all transformation categories for their hard work and dedication. Learn how our featured transformers overcame obstacles and hit their goals!

Supplements that helped me through the journey

Diet plan that guided my transformation

Training regimen that kept me on track

• Cycle Class
    1 hour
  • Dumbbell Bicep Curl
    4 sets of 12, 10, 4, and 4 reps, 1 set to failure
  • Hammer Curls
    4 sets of 12, 12, 10, and 8 reps
  • Concentration Curls
    3 sets of 12, 10, and 8 reps, 1 set to failure
  • Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension
  • Triceps Pushdown
  • Standing Biceps Cable Curl
    4 sets of 12, 10, 4, and 4 reps, 1 set to failure

• Barbell Step Ups
    3 sets of 12, 10, and 8 reps
  • Smith Machine Squat
  • Leg Press
  • Glute Kickback
    3 sets of 12, 10, and 8 reps

What aspect challenged me the most

"I had to get out of my way mentally and allow my body to physically reach its potential."
The biggest challenge was to accept that it's a slow process and to take it one day at a time. I have to continuously remind myself that if I keep moving forward, everything will be okay.
Every time I make a healthy choice it moves me toward my overall goal. I had to feel uncomfortable to change. I had to get out of my way mentally and allow my body to physically reach its potential.
My future fitness plans

I started fitness training at Woodstock Integrative Health and will start at IXL gym where I work out. I want to help people who say, "I can't go into a gym" and show everyone they have what it takes to live a healthy lifestyle.
I'm the head soccer coach for my son's soccer team and under-five youth soccer coordinator for AYSO-Saugerties 595. I'm the communication coordinator on the board also.
I want to inspire my entire community to live a healthier lifestyle and believe in themselves. I want to inspire families to become healthy and make nutrition a main focus. I would love to get my nutrition certification.
Suggestions for aspiring transformers

I remind myself that I didn't gain weight overnight and won't see change overnight. Allow space for setbacks and be okay with where you are. If you already started your transformation, take pride in what you did right. Don't look at what you haven't done yet.
How Bodybuilding.com helped me reach my goals

I started using BodySpace around Christmas 2012 for visual accountability. It was a place to compile my information and the platform was easy to set up. On days when I struggle with my body image, I log onto BodySpace and look at my before pictures.
When people ask how I did it, Bodybuilding.com is always part of my answer. It's a great community to support your fitness lifestyle!
Sky's Top 5 Gym Tracks

1. "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke
  2. "Anything Could Happen" by Ellie Goulding
  3. "We Own It" by 2 Chainz & Wiz Khalifa
  4. "Roar" by Katy Perry
  5. "Wake Me Up" by Avicii (Feat. Aloe Blacc)

Credits

About The Author

Have you made a dramatic change either by gaining muscle or by losing all the weight you have been hoping for?

Source