Close

Thread: Hi Fi

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Hi Fi

Is anyone still into old fashioned stereo Hi Fi? Back in the day's (70's, 80's and 90's) being up on your Hi Fi system seemed to be the cool thing to do. This was before the whole PC audio/smartphone revolution.
    I chat to guys in their 20's and early 30's about Hi Fi, and they look at me like I'm from another planet! It seems that a smartphone dock and an AV amp connected to your game console is all that they know.
    I'm not talking about home theatre audio, I'm talking about 2 speakers an amp and a source. Is anyone still into this?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Hi Fi

Old Skool!

I know a few people still using Turntables with LPs for that 'original sound'. But myself, I'm way past all that.
    It's a new digital age, no point ignoring it... time to embrace it. It wont go away.

HiFis/Stack Systems just hog more room with a lesser sound quality.
    I know others have different opinions. This is just mine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing the whole Luddite thing here but I'm uncomfortable with 'lesser sound quality'. I've got some Old Skool HiFi connected to my PC and phone that sounds a hell of a lot better than any Creative, Bose, JBL or Harman desktop solutions. I'm just curious if anyone else has some solid state, transistor or valve kit still in use.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I still have my NAD amp I got in the 80s, and sounds great through my mordant short speakers.

Rarely used though unfortunately, got a wireless speaker setup too which gets used the most. I agree in terms of sound it wipes the floor with sound docks etc, but modern convenience has taken over.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also got old school amp Arcam alpha and some decent Wharfdale speakers.

Convenience of the Bowers and Wilkins though means it gets used the most to stream wirelessly from mobile devices. Shame really. Also the old amp doesn't have hdmi out which is a ball ache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah it does seem like something that's disappeared nowadays which is a shame.

The birds dad has a valve system he got from eBay from China or Hong Kong and it sounds amazing!

I had an old Yamaha DSP-A1 which developed a problem so nipped down to the local SuperFi to see what they had to replace it - trialled all the new AV amps and really wasn't impressed - a Cyrus system sounded brilliant though.

I ended up buying a second hand Denon AVC-A1SR which I got for a steal and I love it. It doesn't do native HD audio but has the audio ins to support it from a BluRay, and it just sounds immense. CD wise I'm still using my probably 15 year old Marantz CD63MKii SE KI edition and it still sounds great these days. Speakers again are all B&W that I've bought over the years. I was a twat with the credit cards when I was younger and I've just about paid it all off ten years later!!!

I'm going to be gutted when this breaks - supposedly they don't make the huge transformers that were in it any more so they can't repair them when they die. Who knows though - I got my Rotel amp fixed a couple of years back - the bloke in the shop even wanted to buy it off me for less than they charged me to fix it!!

To be fair all my kit is old - I use an old Roku Soundbridge for streaming and again it works fine even though software support was dropped many years ago now.

I did pick up a second hand Soundboom Boom which I really like the sound of - it always amazes me it sounds so good for such a small thing.

The mrs is trying to get me to get rid of all my gear but there's no bloody chance!

I'm even still using my original Soundsticks v1 which I bought when they came out - I did nearly buy a set of the new Bluetooth ones from Costco but to be honest whenever I'm in that room I'm on the computer so i'll just run these until they die and see what's out there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Until I left the UK I was using an Arcam Amp (ditched the CD player years ago) and a pair of B&W 601's along with a Paradigm PD10 (probably) Sub speaker. They were all getting a bit long in the tooth and were worth a fraction of what I paid for them over 10 years ago but they were fucking awesome.
    I am now using some half assed powered speakers I bought here in China, and to be fair they are pretty decent sounding considering, they are far from my old set up.

I have met someone who actually owns a company that manufactures valve amps and high end speakers and claims that they can run rings around anything costing 10x as much in the UK. I find it hard to trust anything manufactured here after over a decade of my UK kit though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm rocking four KEF 104ab speakers for my surround sound. Two came from my mother-in-law who had them since new and the other pair I got lucky on eBay a couple of years ago. Powered my a Pioneeer SA-708 amp, they can throw a serious punch.

Speakers I am not keen on the appearance on (quite ugly), the amp is simply beautiful though. And the sound is better than anything modern I've heard <£1000

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greaseweasel View Post
    I still have my NAD amp I got in the 80s, and sounds great through my mordant short speakers.
    Nice and

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post
    Also got old school amp Arcam alpha and some decent Wharfdale speakers.
    Nice.

This is still about, good oldie Richer Sounds if you want older models of good equipment, or one of my favourite stores

http://cornflake.co.uk/

Enjoy!

Social Networking Bookmarks