Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default OS Mavericks has slowed down my Macbook Pro

Firstly, I am quite new to MAC's to please excuse any ignorance.... I have a 2011 Macbook Pro. It was running OS Snow Leopard, I upgraded to Mavericks about 8 weeks ago through the app store. Ever since then the mac has been very noticeably slower at booting up and starting applications, also switching users, it hangs. All was fine before the upgrade. Unfortunately i didnt use time machine when on snow leopard only since moving to Mavericks...

Having researched I am not the only one experiencing this issue of slowness since mavericks..

Is there anything I can do to speed the system up? There is plenty of free space on the HDD and also I have 8Gb Ram..

Failing that, is it easy to revert back to Snow Leopard??

Appreciate any help on this guys.

Thanks Jon

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: OS Mavericks has slowed down my Macbook Pro

I reverted back to snow leopard on my white unibody macbook when the battery life halved, its not too hard as long as you have the right disks and even if you dont its not hard to locate one online personally having backed up my files I inserted the system disk and formatted the drive before installing, I know it probably wasnt necessary but it was getting a little laggy before mavericks so I didnt see the harm

if you get stuck give us a shout

Thanks
    Karma Level

Casio many thanks for that, I was thinking the same thing but really didn't want to have to re setup mail, music etc as there are 3 of us that use it with 3 separate accounts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I upgraded my mid 2009 MBP to Mavericks and couldn't be happier. However I did do a clean install, which in my mind was necessary to clear out 4 years of accumulated crap, updates etc..
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thinking of doing the same thing.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay in the porch!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

2013 MBP retina here - Mavericks runs like a dream on it. Usual Apple rubbish here I think - write an OS that only works well on the latest hardware forcing users to upgrade.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think there is a bit of that but I think "bit rot" is also playing a part, if you have three accounts with all the associated files and everything slowing your system a clean install would be the way to go, if you get stuck setting up your email I dont mind lending a hand, its not that hard it takes about 5 mins to reconfig it and get it running again.

I'm guessing that you're using itunes and this so much can easier if you store your files on an external drive, you can even transfer them including playlists, playcount etc from the internal drive to an external without losing everything and I guess you could transfer them back if you felt it was needed after a clean install, personally I bought a cheap 1tb external drive and use that for just music, photos etc and then if I upgrade/downgrade buy a new mac etc all I do is plug the drive in and import the settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

if you dont have an external drive you could burn your files off on to a dvd and then reimport them later although this could be an absolute pain in the arse and I dont know about keeping playcount, ratings syncing ipods/iphones where as the external drive keeps everything syncing fine