Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info boxing day selections -- 26/12/2013

Thursday 26th December BOXING DAY

12:50 Kempton – William Hill – In The App Store Novices’ Hurdle

DUBAI PRINCE was very classy on the flat (rated 116 at his peak) and really impressed on his debut over hurdles at Leicester. He jumped and travelled very well that day and has clearly taken to hurdles. A horse of that quality from the flat that takes to hurdles should not be opposed lightly and he is one to follow for the rest of the season and I certainly expect him to win this.

2:00 Kempton – Kauto Star Novices’ Chase

JUST A PAR jumped really well on his chase debut, but needed the run. He showed the benefit of that run on his next start when easily beating Third Intention at Newbury. He again jumped well and he looks a staying chaser of some potential. He will be seven pounds worse off with Third Intention in this, but I expect the result to be the same.

2:35 Kempton – williamhill.com Christmas Hurdle

This is one of my favourite races of the year and this year we are in for a fascinating clash between the two up and coming stars of British hurdling. The New One has looked awesome this season, easily beating two of the top hurdlers in the country in Rock on Ruby and Zarkandar. He is a class act and will obviously be hard to beat, but I feel this could turn out to be a tactical battle and Sam Twiston-Davies has already admitted how scared he was before winning last time out, so a tactical battle against A.P.McCoy is a concern. It is also a concern that he is out so soon after that run at Cheltenham, as even though he won well, he did have to battle against Zarkandar, who is a fighter and it is worth remembering that he met with his first defeat over hurdles when running just two weeks after his last run. MY TENT OR YOURS travels and jumps well and will be a serious test for the favourite. This track should really play to his strengths and I can see McCoy winning the tactical battle and kicking for home at exactly the right time. It could be close, but I think My Tent Or Yours is the most likely winner.

2:55 Leopardstown – Racing Post Novice Chase

CHAMPAGNE FEVER really impressed on his chase debut and should be hard to beat. He was a classy hurdler and has always shown a great attitude. He has Grade One winning form at Leopardstown and handles testing ground well. Willie Mullins has always stated that he is expected to do better over fences than over hurdles, so he should be up to this test. I am interested in Road To Riches for the forecast. I believe he has a lot of pace and jumped superbly last time out. He will also love the testing conditions and I can see him going from the front and getting most of his opponents in trouble. His trainer, Noel Meade is in excellent form at present and it would not surprise me if Road To Riches was to go close. He looks the one for betting without the favourite and the straight forecast of Champagne Fever to win and Road To Riches to come second could pay a decent price.

3:10 Kempton – William Hill King George VI Chase

There may be only nine horses declared, but this looks a cracking renewal of the race. Cue Card has been a warm order since his impressive win at Haydock. He is a hugely talented horse and I can see why he is favourite, but I am keen to take him on. Firstly, I think he is slightly better going left-handed, secondly, he had a bad experience in this race last year, thirdly, his yard is out of form and finally, he had the run of the race at Haydock and I can see him being taken on in this, so at odds of 3/1, he looks poor value. Dynaste is the second favourite and again I am keen to take him on. He is a second season chaser and they have a poor record in this. I am also concerned that he may not see the race out, as I expect there to be a good pace and he may fade close home. The one I am keen on is SILVINIACO CONTI. He is very classy and usually jumps really well. I feel this race will be run to suit and can see him travelling strongly just off the pace and making his stamina tell by kicking for home some way out. He travelled supremely well behind Cue Card last time out, but needed the run, blowing up, before running on again. He also ran wide at Haydock, so covered more ground than his opponent, so can be fancied to finish much closer here and I expect him to beat Cue Card.

3 Thanks given to ganjaman2

Bald Bouncer (24th December 2013),  lfc19 (25th December 2013),  neilb (24th December 2013)