Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Will Windows server 2008 licence work on R2 install?

I know a couple of members here know a lot about licensing. I have only messed around with 2008 r2 enterprise on my home server but I have been asked to wipe a server and reinstall the OS, I am doing the same to a few PCs and then setting up the network from the ground up.

How does the licensing work? Their server has a COA for Server 2008 Foundation, is R2 an upgrade like a service pack on client OS? i.e. Can I just install Server 2008 Foundation R2 and use their COA to activate the licence?

Also how do I see how many CALs there are? At first there will be one user with a PC and laptop, I will also set up a VPN for his Windows tab to connect and possibly his iPad too. There will be a second PC in the office which will be a spare until he takes someone on but he wants it fully functional ready as a spare.

Server licensing always confuses me!

Cheers

EDIT: Also a link to a clean ISO for this version would be great, I only have a clean r2 enterprise SP1 x64 ISO.
    -- Since found a torrent but not sure if it is clean, ideally MSDN would have a link but I can't seem to find one.
    Last edited by evilsatan; 7th January 2014 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Will Windows server 2008 licence work on R2 install?

It was classed as a different version mate - if they have software maintenance they could upgrade but otherwise it'll cost to buy new licenses I believe?

You can see various information about the current license by running slmgr.vbs /dlv at a command prompt - if they're also running Remote Desktop in application server mode that would also have it's own keys - it's never-ending!

Thanks to reverend

evilsatan (8th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

They're different versions so you'll need to purchase the R2 version to legally use it. There's no need to re-buy your CALs though; there's no such thing as 'R2 CALs'.

Thanks to Mr.James

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That is lame, very lame... It's an HP ProLiant (likely G5) so I doubt it came with software maintenance. Was server 2008 a bad OS as it's Vista kernel or was it ok? Don't want to reload anything to do with Vista if I can help it!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah 2008 is Vista...
    2008 R2 is 7
    2012 is 8
    2012 R2 is 8.1

If they just named them Server 12, 14, 15, 16 etc then they wouldn't have this confusion. I got stung with this when 2003 R2 came out. Installed it thinking it was like a service pack to find out later it wasn't.

Edit: I've found most server OS are pretty stable. Vista was awful when it got released but wasn't too bad after SP1 was released. Just make sure you patch it up as much as possible and you should be OK.

Thanks to Mr.James

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think I might cut losses and get a WHS2011 licence as they are cheap and this user has gone overkill as his office consists of 2 PCs and a laptop, no need for server 2008 really. Just need to check VPN is ok on whs but I'm sure it is.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought WHS2011 could only be installed by the computer manufacturer. i.e. you can buy it and put it on a server you assemble, just not load it onto a pre-built server... if that makes sense?

With only three computers to manage, I would think you'd be alright with 2008 Foundation. I can't imagine they'll need much more than Windows file shares for file access and then the VPN you mention to get to those files. I'm guessing that their e-mail is cloud based or he's have gone for something that bundled Exchange server, eg. Small Business Edition

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Why is it always so hard trying to do things the legit way??! I will have a think and go from there, is there any particular reason why Microsoft restrict the licence in that way? They have already had their revenue from the Server COA and now they can get more revenue for a new OS.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The OS you have is OEM and as such cost a lot less than buying the license via volume licensing (but it has certain restrictions the same as the OEM license you have on your desktops). Microsoft do allow the attachment of Software Assurance on OEM licenses but only within 90 days of purchase.

I always advise clients that if they want to remain up to date then they should buy licenses with SA as the cost of 3 years SA is less than buying the new license. As a rule of thumb if you upgrade every three years or less then SA is cost effective if you update less often it is not. One of the other benefits of buying with SA is the ability to spread payments.

There are many options to cover most scenario's for small through to large businesses (Open, Open Value, Open Value Subscription, Select Plus, Enterprise Agreement etc).

If you need advise for specific customers PM me your details and i'll help as much as I can.

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks to Hangman

evilsatan (9th January 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks mate, I will bear that in mind for future jobs