Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Rooke family treated vulnerable man as 'slave'

Rooke family treated vulnerable man as 'slave'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxkhP-_e5Hw

David Rooke forced Mr Kinsella to live in his garage through violence and intimidation

An ice cream seller has been jailed for six-and-a-half years for imprisoning a man with learning difficulties and treating him "like a slave".

David Rooke, 44, also pleaded guilty to regular violent assaults on Craig Kinsella, 34, who he forced to live in his garage in Sheffield.

Rooke's son Jamie, 19, pleaded guilty to affray and assault and was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison.

Rooke's wife Donna, 40, was jailed for four months for battery.

'Grotesque and inhuman'Police had been called to the property in Halifax Road, Grenoside, Sheffield, following a fight with a neighbour last July.

An officer noticed Mr Kinsella's injuries and he was taken to hospital.

The physical and mental abuse meted out by the Rooke family on a highly vulnerable man plumbed the depths of depravity”
    Det Insp Vicky ShortSouth Yorkshire Police
    David Brooke, prosecuting, said: "He (Mr Kinsella) went on to explain that he'd been living in the garage and that he'd slept on a piece of carpet and used an old curtain as a blanket.

"He wasn't paid by the family nor fed regularly and he regularly picked food from the wheelie bin to eat. He was obviously emaciated."

Mr Brooke said Mr Kinsella had been living in the garage for about six weeks and had also been subjected to violence and intimidation.

He had been attacked with a range of weapons including pickaxe handles, spade handles and a crowbar.

"He became what he called a slave, working from 7.30 in the morning to 11 or 12 at night," he added.

Det Insp Vicky Short, of South Yorkshire Police, said: "David, Donna and Jamie Rooke abused Mr Kinsella for their own pleasure until his spirit and will to stand up for himself and fight back was crushed.

"It has hard to understand how any human being could treat an individual in such a grotesque, callous and inhuman manner."

Jailing the family, Judge Peter Kelson QC said it was "staggering" this could happen in modern society.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Rooke family treated vulnerable man as 'slave'

What piss poor sentences !!!!

Thanks to macmilm

Zoots (8th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I seen this on the news earlier and really sickened me. My older brother has learning difficulties and I'm thankful he has a lot of support in that respect, unlike this poor chap. Cunts.

Thanks to burner1

Zoots (8th January 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Seen this on this on the news before, they need fucking twatting!, not to put a finer point on it.
    Who were you when you thought you where you was?. Whats a matter for can't you want to?

Thanks to flanflinger

Zoots (8th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know it's what some would call a backwards way of thinking but in this circumstance I really do believe in "an eye for an eye" - beat them bastards with pick-axe handles and crow bars and let them eat tiny scraps of food and see how they fucking like it after 6 years.

I sincerely hope these people are hounded and miserable for the rest of their wretched lives - how could they look themselves in a mirror and sleep at night???!?

Thanks to crazyal

Zoots (8th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I pass their house on my way to and from work, someones already put all their windows through and smashed their ice cream van up. Hopefully someone in jail will treat them the same way they treated the poor bloke.

3 Thanks given to arrison

burner1 (8th January 2014),  DejaVu (8th January 2014),  noname69 (13th January 2014)