Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Google acquires Nest

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/13/goo...-3-2b-in-cash/

Google has acquired connected device company Nest for $3.2B. Google sent out an email to employees noting the acquisition today and later issued a press release. In the release, Google noted that Nest has been offering its best-selling thermostat since 2011 and recently began offering the Protect smoke alarm, which networks with its other devices. Nest Founders Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers will both join Google. Rogers was one of the first engineers on the iPhone team at Apple.

“They’re already delivering amazing products you can buy right now–thermostats that save energy and smoke/CO alarms that can help keep your family safe,” said Google CEO Larry Page in a statement. “We are excited to bring great experiences to more homes in more countries and fulfill their dreams!” Fadell, who is known as the ‘father of the iPod’, said that they’re ‘thrilled to join Google’. “With their support, Nest will be even better placed to build simple, thoughtful devices that make life easier at home, and that have a positive impact on the world.”Nest will continue on as its ‘own brand identity’ and continue to be led by Fadell. The deal hasn’t closed yet as it has to meet regulatory approval.Nest founders Fadell and Rogers also sent an emailed statement to TechCrunch about why Nest chose to go ahead with the acquisition.

“Google will help us fully realize our vision of the conscious home and allow us to change the world faster than we ever could if we continued to go it alone. We’ve had great momentum, but this is a rocket ship,” Fadell says. “Google has the business resources, global scale and platform reach to accelerate Nest growth across hardware, software and services for the home globally. And our company visions are well aligned – we both believe in letting technology do the hard work behind the scenes so people can get on with the things that matter in life. Google is committed to helping Nest make a difference and together, we can help save more energy and keep people safe in their homes.”

Fadell says that this decision was not made hastily. He says that at the 2011 TED conference, even before Nest had launched, he and Nest VP of business Erik Charlton had ‘huddled’ together in a corner with Google’s Brin to show him a video and early model of the Nest thermostat.

“He instantly got what we were doing and so did the rest of the Google team when we showed them,” says Fadell. “In May 2011, Google Ventures led our Series B round of financing, and in 2012, Series C. Time and time again, Googlers have shown themselves to be incredibly like-minded, supportive and as big of dreamers as we are. I know that joining Google will be an easy transition because we’re partnering with a company that gets what we do and who we are at Nest –and wants us to stay that way.”

We’ve been hearing rumors about Nest getting courted with large billion-dollar acquisition offers for months now, but a Google buy is a definite statement. The company has been fairly serious about its connected device efforts for a while. Though there have been some abortive attempts at connected devices like Android at Home in the past, but Nest already has a nice start — something that Google could build off of in the future.

Peter Neih of Nest investor Lightspeed ventures has a post up about his early days working with Fadell at startup General Magic and what Nest has done since. Neigh says that though he was excited to work with Fadell again when it came time to invest in Nest, “…our excitement went off the charts when we met Matt Rogers, Tony’s co-founder, who was responsible at Apple for iPod software development and one of the first engineers on the original iPhone team. We would have invested had they been looking to start a food truck.”

Nest also issued a Q&A about what will happen to users now that Google owns their thermostats and smoke detectors:

Will Nest continue to support iOS so I can have the Nest app on my iPhone or iPad?
    Yes, absolutely. We’ll continue supporting iOS, Android and modern web browsers so you can check in on your home and control the temperature from wherever you are.

Will Nest and Google products work with each other?
    Nest’s product line obviously caught the attention of Google and I’m betting that there’s a lot of cool stuff we could do together, but nothing to share today.

What will happen to the Nest warranties on products?
    No change there – we stand behind our products like we always have.

Will I still be able to find Nest products at my local retailer?
    You bet. We intend to continue selling through the same partners in the US, Canada and the UK.

Will Nest customer data be shared with Google?
    Our privacy policy clearly limits the use of customer information to providing and improving Nest’s products and services. We’ve always taken privacy seriously and this will not change.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a serious move from Google. They've bought a real good company with some serious potential. I would have expected Apple to have partnered with them.

Thanks to Geko

Conkers (14th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Google acquires Nest

Hope they get them out in the uk quicker now.. Been fancying one for ages, but don't want to fuck about with a 24v transformer & relay to get it working.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The smoke / carbon monoxide alarms are available in the UK. But cost £109. If they were half the price I'd pick a couple up.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Google acquires Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    The smoke / carbon monoxide alarms are available in the UK. But cost £109. If they were half the price I'd pick a couple up.
    Yeah i looked last night after seeing this thread I'd imagine most houses you would want at least 2 and you have change them every 7 years that's a lot £31 a year lifetime cost against prob £5 a year for same thing but not smartified at £10 a year they be worth it imo

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd probably pay £50 for one. Which would make it £100 for the pair. Worth the extra piece of mind I reckon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks to darthpaul

Ashley (3rd April 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by darthpaul View Post
    £179 plus installation fee it's a joke.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i read first 200 get free install they might struggle to fill that !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    i read first 200 get free install they might struggle to fill that !
    £179 from B&Q with free install until the 8th April, unfortunately it means letting one of the B&Q monkeys install it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

might just get one of these.

how do they know when you're not in though?
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am going to get one. It's comparable in price to some of the heatmisers and much nicer.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/he...FVLItAodgicA2A

I will also be installing it myself. It's not particularly difficult. Live, Sw-Live and Common.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

this isnt very good timing ??

this is about there CO2 detectors just hit social media

https://www.facebook.com/nest
    Nest Protect owners,

Read an important safety message about your Nest Protect in this letter from our CEO:

https://nest.com/letter-from-the-ceo/

Appears if you wave you could possibly turn the alarm off

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

hhhm ... I'll stick with my non techy one then..

that saved some dosh!

supe
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png