Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Microsoft extends updates for Windows XP security products until July 14, 2015

Microsoft today announced it will continue to provide updates to its security products (antimalware engine and signatures) for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015. Previously, the company said it would halt all updates on the same day as the end of support date for Windows XP: April 8, 2014.

For consumers, this means Microsoft Security Essentials will continue to get updates after support ends for Windows XP. For enterprise customers, the same goes for System Center Endpoint Protection, Forefront Client Security, Forefront Endpoint Protection, and Windows Intune running on Windows XP.

Here is the previous guidance from a page Microsoft had set up specifically to discuss Windows XP end of support:

As a result, after April 8, 2014, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date.

The company is thus providing updates to its security products for an additional 15 months. In other words, while Windows XP will no longer be a supported operating system come April, companies will be at least partially protected (the actual OS still won’t get security updates) until next July.

Microsoft is in a tricky situation. On the one hand, it needs to push consumers and businesses off of Windows XP to more secure products, and the best way to do that is to stick to its end of support date. On the other hand, there are still so many millions of Windows XP users out there that leaving them completely vulnerable could cause more harm than good.

The company thus says its research shows “that the effectiveness of antimalware solutions on out-of-support operating systems is limited” and offers the following advice:

Use modern software that has advanced security technologies and is supported with regular security updates.
    Regularly apply security updates for all software installed.
    Run up-to-date anti-virus software.
    Windows XP is over 12 years old so if you’re still on it, only the third point still applies, and that’s just because Microsoft is bending over backwards for you. It’s time to move on.

Source

2 Thanks given to evilsatan

WRATH OF BOD (17th January 2014),  ZX7R (16th January 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft extends updates for Windows XP security products until July 14, 2015

I didn't realise that MSE wouldn't update past the XP end of support! That would do them harm as users would switch to alternative AV, makes no sense as surely a virus definition is the same regardless of OS.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft extends updates for Windows XP security products until July 14, 2015

Wtf replied to a pm and it posted in here?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    Wtf replied to a pm and it posted in here?
    Yeah, I didn't realise you had those sexual feelings towards operating systems. It's okay, don't feel ashamed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I didn't realise that MSE wouldn't update past the XP end of support! That would do them harm as users would switch to alternative AV, makes no sense as surely a virus definition is the same regardless of OS.
    I think support more refers to windows update patches that normally fix exploits in the OS that allow security to be circumvented.
    Virus scanners usually detect and delete once infected, whereas the patches are aimed at stopping the virus get through in the first place. I'm sure if anything crazy happens they will be able to address it but just not the minor things.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wonder how long it will be before AV vendors stop supporting XP? Or to push the other side of the argument, how long before they start trading with a tag line 'XP still supported'?
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Awaiting Email Confirm silversmith's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

At my firm we are discussing right now when we are going to cut the cord for supporting XP. Although I know a few of our Business Analysts use old XP laptops when they are out and about...