Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Google to own $750 million Lenovo stake after Motorola deal closes: HK exchange

(Reuters) - Internet search company Google Inc will own a 5.94 percent stake in China's Lenovo Group Ltd worth $750 million once Lenovo's deal to buy Google's Motorola handset division closes, according to a disclosure on the Hong Kong stock exchange.
    Google would take 618.3 million Lenovo shares at $1.213 per share, the stock exchange said late on Thursday.
    Lenovo agreed to buy Google's Motorola handset division last week for $2.91 billion in a cash and stock deal.

Source

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Google to own $750 million Lenovo stake after Motorola deal closes: HK exchange

Hmm wonder what that will mean to customers and R&D.

IMO Lenovo never been the same as IBM were

DJ OD

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Google to own $750 million Lenovo stake after Motorola deal closes: HK exchange

I love my Thinkpads and as such I recommend Lenovo to everyone.

One person I recommended Lenovo to got a G580, within 2 months it was 'dead', this later turned out to be a snapped DC port. Unfortunately she bought from PC World so they told her she had to bring it to the store even though she had moved to Spain, when she did that they left it in a cupboard for a couple of weeks until she chased it up, they then sent it to Lenovo who have said they refuse to replace the DC board unless they are given the BIOS password. I don't see the point of this, it is obvious the DC board needs replacing and they can test it is fixed in the OS as there is no power on password. They say they need to perform a BIOS stress test to ensure quality for the customer, if no password is supplied it will be sent back unrepaired or she will be billed for a new mobo. Will see where this goes, they have been given a password to try.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Surprised, but now wondering... I have recommended Lenovo to a number of people... all fine so far but this is a tad worrying !
    Was looking to get one myself soon but might wait now lol

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I love Lenovo kit. ThinkPads are solid. I've owned them since they were IBM and if anything I think they've got better since Lenovo took over the brand. Not had a bad experience with them yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would like to point out that I have supplied tens of Lenovo laptops and this is the first problem I have encountered. My only other problem has been the fact my thinkpad T430 graphics appear to have died twice, both times the engineer was round my house with a replacement mobo the next day (even though both times they told me the part was out of stock and they would let me know when they could get to me, I was given no notification of the engineer coming).

my battery failed on the thinkpad last week and they couriered me a replacement the next day.

I still stand by Lenovo as my preferred brand, love my think pad, I had the T410 before and loved that too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have replaced all laptops in my house with lenovo units - i even use an old x200 tablet in the workshop as a diagnostics & ecu programming laptop (motorcycle repair buisness) and that one gets treated pretty badly, it just keeps on going

Thanks
    Karma Level

It should be remembered that modern Lenovo laptops are both brilliant and shit.

They split the market and they now do high end business laptops (which are pretty rugged and indestructible)... but expensive

... they also do a home market range which is pretty much cheap shit like the other brands.

So your Lenovo experience will be massively different depending on what you are talking about. More importantly, you have to be really careful when recommending a Lenovo laptop... you maybe basing your recommendation on your expensive business device, they will go out and buy cheap shit from PC World.

2 Thanks given to MsDG

cronus71 (8th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    It should be remembered that modern Lenovo laptops are both brilliant and shit.

They split the market and they now do high end business laptops (which are pretty rugged and indestructible)... but expensive

... they also do a home market range which is pretty much cheap shit like the other brands.

So your Lenovo experience will be massively different depending on what you are talking about. More importantly, you have to be really careful when recommending a Lenovo laptop... you maybe basing your recommendation on your expensive business device, they will go out and buy cheap shit from PC World.
    thats a very good point - all my units are ex-corporate stock
    i have no experience with the lower end home user units

Thanks
    Karma Level

Over the years the lessons I have learned laptop wise is:

DON'T get AMD (overheat after couple of years max)
    DON'T get HP (often same as above .. even with INTEL)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    Very true, 90% of my experience is with Thinkpads/Thinkcenters/Thinkstations I've only really dipped my toe into the Ideapad range. Saying that I'm writing this post on an ideapad which has also been rock solid since I got it 3 months ago (Yoga 13). The only issue I really had with it is the wifi has a shite range, someone at Lenovo thought they'd save a few quid and put in an internal usb wifi adaptor.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have had good experiences with their consumer ranges too like the g580 and there is now a thinkpad e530 which comes in at under £400 which I like but the touchpad takes some getting used to. Out of about 30 I think one has had a hardware problem.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's one thing Lenovo aren't good at, touchpads. I got my hands on a X240 on Thursday. The touchpad has so much play in the spring I thought it was going to push me hand to the ceiling when I let go. The X220 had the integrated buttons which made it unusable and the X230 followed the theme. They've improved it by making it flat and smooth again, I fucking hated the dimpled effect as it made my finger numb after 10 mins, but they have a spring which can be depressed around 5mm (no joke)! Whoever signs these toughpads off should be shot.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The E530 touchpad has integrated buttons which makes right clicking difficult until you realise you need to do it with no other fingers on the touchpad. There is also a lot of play in the entire pad, I later found out the entire pad is a clicker, I felt this was unnecessary.

Spoiler:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That looks very much like the X240 touchpad although the x240 one is smooth, not dimpled.

You can set the two finger click in the Synaptics options for the context menu. This is what I use to get around the fact that a right click doesn't work with another finger on the touchpad.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I still have my T61 to which I download and watch my stuff from. Connected to the tv and hometheater.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”