Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Do E-Cigarrettes stink ?

I have been doing a lot of reading on E-cigs over the last few days, and in the comments to this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ttes-week.html

Someone said
    They stink just as much as real ones

I have never encountered an E-cig yet in real life, so I'd like to know if the comment has any validity ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Do E-Cigarrettes stink ?

A girl at work used to smoke, packed in then restated at Christmas. She decided to vape the other day, and to be honest its smelt a bit "burnie" but other than that nothing much. No where near as offensive as cigarettes, well to ma anyway

Thanks to stevo25

4me2 (23rd February 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

There's definitely a slight smell but to say they stink the like real ones is a bit over the top. I'd much rather have someone blow some vanilla based vapour into my face than smoke from a cigarrette.

Thanks to beerman

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is there any danger from passive inhalation ie passive smoking to people stood near others that are vaping ?

If not then surely for that reason alone they are better than traditional cigs.

I see far too much focus on people spouting about them being used to quit smoking.
    What about people who just want a cheaper and safer way of smoking ?

I am an ex heavy smoker of 10 years (quit) plus, the vast majority of my 25 years of smoking, I smoked because I fucking well wanted to and enjoyed it.

The whole argument of e-cigs seems to be being dictated by the reporters/media into a tool to stop smoking.
    Why then are many juices nicotine free ?

I can see another market of people using them as diet aids.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    There's definitely a slight smell but to say they stink the like real ones is a bit over the top. I'd much rather have someone blow some vanilla based vapour into my face than smoke from a cigarrette.
    I wonder if you could get make some nice tasting but fart smelling mixture ? That way you could just blame it on the dog or someone else.

I don't want anyone to nick my idea and become rich now, patent being applied for.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i started vaping as i want to smoke but dont want the health problems associated with real fags.
    i found that my general health has improved as well as my wealth! even though i now actually 'smoke' more now (as i can puff away indoors)

it does annoy me a bit when people say things like - well done for quitting, when are you going to give the ecigs up and quit for good?
    i havent quit and have no intention of doing so - i have just stopped using ordinary cigarettes.

2 Thanks given to tiggerbiker

4me2 (23rd February 2014),  WRATH OF BOD (25th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some of the flavoured ones can smell a bit funky, but I don't think the regular tasteless ones smell. Not that I've noticed anyway.

Thanks to flumperino

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker View Post
    i started vaping as i want to smoke but dont want the health problems associated with real fags.
    i found that my general health has improved as well as my wealth! even though i now actually 'smoke' more now (as i can puff away indoors)

it does annoy me a bit when people say things like - well done for quitting, when are you going to give the ecigs up and quit for good?
    i havent quit and have no intention of doing so - i have just stopped using ordinary cigarettes.
    Yep I have exactly this, I still enjoy it why would I give this up. If anything the variety is more enjoyable.

Regarding the smell, some are very nice and some do stink but taste good. I just make sure I am aware of which ones people don't like the smell of and just keep them for home or the car.

2 Thanks given to purpleanimal23

4me2 (23rd February 2014),  WRATH OF BOD (25th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

So is there any chance of passive vaping ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

There have been a few studies done and the consensus is pretty much miniscule to none, http://www.vapourlites.com/news/is-t...ve-vaping.html

The most complaints I've had (which might have been one flavour) is about the smell rather than any risk of passive vaping.

Thanks to purpleanimal23

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by purpleanimal23 View Post
    There have been a few studies done and the consensus is pretty much miniscule to none, http://www.vapourlites.com/news/is-t...ve-vaping.html

The most complaints I've had (which might have been one flavour) is about the smell rather than any risk of passive vaping.

Very nice link which I think deserves a thread of it's own.

2 Thanks given to 4me2

gurry (23rd February 2014),  purpleanimal23 (23rd February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do they stink ???

In my experience yes and no. It depends on the flavour you are vaping. Right now I am vaping a nice toffee and mint mix which tastes great and leaves the room filled with a faint toffee aroma. At home and at work people come into the room and the first comment is something like I love that smell or this room smells nice what you vaping today..... But the other day I had a generic tobacco flavour which tasted nice but the reaction was this place smells like $hit, I promptly switched to another flavour which was far nicer to smell. I also have others that have very little or no odour according to family and friends..

Dangers of passive vaping ???

A bit of an unknown really. This does need more research as there has been no real answer some say yes and some say no. Some say there are carciogens and nano particles and others say it is similar to being near a boiling kettle. I think one of the difficulties are that E-cigs are a relativly new tech and there is such a variety of devices and atomisers it's becoming difficult to quantify. A traditional cig has the usual 4000 or so chemicals and are all held in paper with (sometimes without) a fibrous filter making it fairly easy to test. E-cigs are 4 main chemicals (nicotine, Polypropylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerine & a flavouring), but you have fixed and variable power, Silica wicks, cotton wool wicks, bamboo wicks, Oxidised stainless steel wicks, ceramic wicks, Kanthal coils, Ni-chrome coils, ceramic coils, Stainless steel chambers, chrome plated brass chambers, the list goes on and so does the possible options for the atomiser and I think this will cause the most problems. I think we will find that what is deemed safe in one atomiser will give a different result in another.

I could(and most likely am) be wrong but I see this as the main problem not the liquid or the nicotine contained in it.

Personally I don't vape around my child the same as I did not smoke around him. But he no longer tells me I stink when I have been vaping and come back in the room. I also let adults know and give them the option to protest and if they do I go outside or to another room.

Here is a link to a study carried out by a group in New York. The IVAQS project http://www.ivaqs.com/

Results: Comparisons of pollutant concentrations were made between e-cigarette vapor and tobacco smoke samples. Pollutants included VOCs, carbonyls, PAHs, nicotine, TSNAs, and glycols. From these results, risk analyses were conducted based on dilution into a 40 m3 room and standard toxicological data. Non-cancer risk analysis revealed “No Significant Risk” of harm to human health for vapor samples from e-liquids (A-D). In contrast, for tobacco smoke most findings markedly exceeded risk limits indicating a condition of “Significant Risk” of harm to human health. With regard to cancer risk analysis, no vapor sample from e-liquids A-D exceeded the risk limit for either children or adults. The tobacco smoke sample approached the risk limits for adult exposure.

Conclusions: For all byproducts measured, electronic cigarettes produce very small exposures relative to tobacco cigarettes. The study indicates no apparent risk to human health from e-cigarette emissions based on the compounds analyzed.
    PSN - ThirtyQuidKid

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm sure if there was any evidence of there being dangers to passive vaping, then the Tobacco industries would have unleashed a major media campaign about it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    I'm sure if there was any evidence of there being dangers to passive vaping, then the Tobacco industries would have unleashed a major media campaign about it.

Maybe but then again they have been fairly quiet about the whole e-cig thing so far. I think they are more likely keeping quiet and waiting in the wings to see what regulation is enforced. After this I see a whole load of buyouts of the existing manufacturers, then new regulated products released by big tobacco and then news stories of how they have redeemed themselves in making a healthy alternative and how they are helping the masses with the health issues they have caused.

They are already making and testing their own at the moment so I can't see them digging up horror stories, more likely just looking at the next big profit margin.
    PSN - ThirtyQuidKid

Thanks
    Karma Level

I suppose it could depend on the type/brand of e-cig. I have had a couple, with and without nicotine that smelt, as noted a bov, a bit "burny". But I have had many without nicotine, with various flavours, specificaly brand Blu, that seem to have no odor at all, they are simply flavored water vapour

Thanks
    Karma Level

only time i can smell my vape is when i get the burn taste.

Sent By Brick Wrapped In Paper Thrown Through The Window..........

Thanks
    Karma Level

If stinking of custard counts? Saying that the good wife won't let me vape cappuccino eliquid as it's a bit strong and make my breath really bad afterwards *apparently*

Thanks
    Karma Level

My colleague never puts his down, he always has the flavoured ones im not a smoker and it doesnt bother me hes got a Dr Pepper flavour which smells quite nice. You can deffo tell when hes puffing on it but its gone in a few seconds.

Even the really high in volume, non scented ones smell nowhere near as bad as fags, and dont linger on your clothes like passive smoking does. Daily Mail reader mentality if you ask me

Thanks to Likkle

4me2 (26th February 2014)