Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone used Fortatrust for dedicated servers ???

As title really looking at moving my Dedicated server provider and currently some very good deals from Fortatrust.

Just wondered if anyone has experience with them... I would be getting a non managed if I move but wondered what the support is like .
    Response times e.t.c

Thanks yall

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone used Fortatrust for dedicated servers ???

Never used them myself but the first thing I came across when I googled it was this:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1250888

and this: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/118...blacklist-page

Sound as if they can be quite aggressive and threatening - even on occasions when the problems are their fault. May just be one off's but after what I have just read I would be looking into them further before signing up . (">

Edit: And this is the blacklist they put up with full names and company names. http://www.fortatrust.com/blacklist/ So if you stop payment because they have not kept to their part of the contract your name will also be added - even if it isn't your fault. (">
    Last edited by BigBird; 25th February 2014 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks to BigBird

macmilm (25th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that doesn't look too good lol. It is a year old but I think that may have just put me off

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

A few more recent reviews. Not all reviews I have seen are bad but there are a lot of bad ones and the threatening nature of the company would put me off. It seems that they won't ever admit anything is their fault and the customer is always wrong. May be OK until something goes wrong and then no matter what the problem is it will be all your fault. (">

Harry
    on Friday, January 17, 2014

Keep away it is a fraud! Once you give them your credit card info you are out of luck. They keep charging random amounts and they never answer phone calls or any other method!
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Mike on Tuesday, December 17, 2013
    Absolutely disgusting company, tried to cancel my order within 1hour of opening my account, this was then ignored. I raised a paypal dispute to which I got my money back and now they are threatening legal action!! Absolutely disgusting company, NEVER EVER USE THIS COMPANY!!
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Tony Sullivan on Thursday, December 12, 2013
    Actually for a few months all was well, but was all downhill after some mechanical problems. I requested and paid for an upgrade server, the company delivered a cheaper package server 2 weeks late but continued billing me for the premium server. They never fully closed the original package, so now I'm being invoiced for a service I don't have anymore. 1 month later this new server fails. I'm promised a new one, but nothing ever happens. At this point I try to cancel and close the account, which the company insists can only be accomplished by phone. If you try calling them you get a ring tone and nothing OR a messaging system that leads nowhere OR on a good day are told that the line is out of service. Meanwhile invoices are accumulating, and now the company is sending automated legal threats. One star because it is impossible to send no stars.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jonathan Maycock on Wednesday, December 11, 2013
    Stay away!!! I cancelled my contract 1 day after taking it out. They are still trying to bill me and threatening to sue me. A disaster of a company. Do not go near them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What are your alternatives? Why not host your own..
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What about using Amazon Web Services? We are starting to use them and its great. You can save costs by powering servers off out of hours etc so it can work out quite cheap.

Thanks to liveseytowers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did look into that but I need an always on server and because of that the costs went nuts.. thanks anyway

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's hard for any cloud provider to compete with the likes of AWS and MS Azure on price nowadays, heck I'm saying this and I work for one!

I've had a look at Fortatrust and if it wasn't for the fact I was on a dynamic IP with Infinity I'd be setting up my own provider from home - I already host all my own stuff from here so I'll be cancelling my hosting package with LunarPages when it runs out as I'm paying them a lot of money for a very basic virtual server!

They're charging $200 for a 64GB 8 core Opteron - hell I've got a 64GB 16 way Opteron sat on the bedroom floor turned off - I should be charging!

Thanks to reverend

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    They're charging $200 for a 64GB 8 core Opteron - hell I've got a 64GB 16 way Opteron sat on the bedroom floor turned off - I should be charging!
    I'll give you $200 for it ;-)
    Although I do feel at some point I will host from the home/office I don't feel it's quite there yet..
    Fibre is quick enough for low traffic sites, but you gotta worry about power cuts (UPS's only last so long), HDD going up the creek, fuse blowing, dog pissing on the plug sockets
    too many factors to keep me awake at night

Currently got an Intel i? 3.0ghz (forget exactly which) , 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Windows server 2012 unlimited B/W all for under £100...
    I know that is entry level / budget but I gotta be honest the support is shite and at that price it's not surprising and although I only ever had 1 problem it keeps me thinking about next time ;-)

Will keep looking cos I am not in a position where I am forced to move.....
    Maybe I could look at lower power specced Server (as I probably dont need it) for same price but better support when the shit hits the fan.

Thanks for help all

Thanks
    Karma Level

A lot of those issues are still valid with providers mate, no matter what they say in their sales bollocks.

I know one guy who was running a server like you have and selling space on it - it wasn't in a RAID config and one disk went and he lost most of his sites - it almost shut him down!

I'm guessing you're running quite a few sites on that sort of kit then?

Depending on what you're actually doing you may find that it scales out well on AMD kit as that's cheaper in comparison to high end Intel stuff?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    A lot of those issues are still valid with providers mate, no matter what they say in their sales bollocks.

I know one guy who was running a server like you have and selling space on it - it wasn't in a RAID config and one disk went and he lost most of his sites - it almost shut him down!

I'm guessing you're running quite a few sites on that sort of kit then?

Depending on what you're actually doing you may find that it scales out well on AMD kit as that's cheaper in comparison to high end Intel stuff?

TBH mate it is no more than 20 sites give or take.... a couple do have fairly decent activity though (still nothing massive)

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi mate,

I've PM'd you 😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a call from a copy the other week about moving my servers to them, they seemed pretty good, icloudhosting.com has anyone used them? I told them my only worry was I couldnt find much about them online and they said most of the customers they deal with arent the sort who will go and post reviews on forums. Did sound like a sales line especially when you look at the testimonials on their site, they not massive companies.

Thanks to theodotcom

macmilm (29th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by theodotcom View Post
    I had a call from a copy the other week about moving my servers to them, they seemed pretty good, icloudhosting.com has anyone used them? I told them my only worry was I couldnt find much about them online and they said most of the customers they deal with arent the sort who will go and post reviews on forums. Did sound like a sales line especially when you look at the testimonials on their site, they not massive companies.

Looks good but I never like a site that doesn't have pricing !!!!!!

Fucks me off... even in a supermarket if something has no price.. even if it is probably a couple of quid !! I walk on by !!! OCD