Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Nicolas Anelka banned and fined £80,000 for 'quenelle' gesture West Bromwich Albion

Nicolas Anelka banned and fined £80,000 for 'quenelle' gesture

West Bromwich Albion striker Nicolas Anelka has been banned for five matches and fined £80,000 for his controversial "quenelle" gesture.
    He has also been ordered to complete a compulsory education course, following a two-day Football Association hearing.
    Anelka, 34, denied his use of the sign, described as an "inverted Nazi salute", was anti-Semitic. He has the right to appeal against the ruling.
    He made the action during West Brom's draw with West Ham on 28 December.

The ban and fine are suspended until after the outcome of any appeal.
    The Frenchman and his legal team mounted a defence this week before the independent regulatory commission hearing, at the Grove Hotel in Watford.
    He said the gesture was a signal in support of his friend, the French comedian Dieudonne M'bala M'bala, the person who first brought the quenelle to prominence.
    The independent regulatory commission said in a statement on the FA website that the two charges Anelka faced - that the gesture was abusive and/or indecent and/or insulting and/or improper, and that it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion or belief - were both proven.
    The commission added it was their finding Anelka had not been deliberately anti-Semitic.
    The commission statement said: "So far as the basis for our finding on Charge 2 is concerned, we did not find that Nicolas Anelka is an anti-Semite or that he intended to express or promote anti-Semitism by his use of the quenelle."
    Anelka has seven days from the receipt of written reasons for his punishment to notify the FA if he wants to proceed with an appeal against the ruling.
    He must also pay the costs of the hearing in full.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26326484
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nicolas Anelka banned and fined £80,000 for 'quenelle' gesture West Bromwich Alb

Yeah...

That will learn him.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nicolas Anelka banned and fined £80,000 for 'quenelle' gesture West Bromwich Alb

Am i the only person who thinks this is a load of bollox?

Paolo di canio used to make a nazi salute to the crowd during his playing days with Lazio which imo is in much worse taste than the so called 'quenelle' gesture.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's all blown well out of proportion.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it was Suarez that did that I bet the ban would have been 10 games

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    If it was Suarez that did that I bet the ban would have been 10 games

Or he could have called someone a "negrito" and got 8.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Same thing, it was a racist gesture so why didn't Anelka get an eight match ban? F.A. are way too inconsistent. John Terry was the worst offender and they were way too lenient with him

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Suarez is first class cunt though, and Terry is not far behind.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A quality player though that would walk into any team in the world. The premiership would be a lot worse off without him. Cantona was a bigger cunt though but Utd fans loved him.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Same thing, it was a racist gesture so why didn't Anelka get an eight match ban? F.A. are way too inconsistent. John Terry was the worst offender and they were way too lenient with him

Was it a racist gesture?

If I put my finger up my nose and it offends someone who claims it is racist. Does that become racist too?

I think you need to read a bit more into it and maybe take your blinkers off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not happy with it being defined as a racist gesture. The Fench comedian who invented it certainly isn't either. I think the Jewish lobbies both in France and the UK having been flexing their muscles here. Totally blown out of proportion by anyone's standards. If I were him I'd be taking this to European employment tribunal.

There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks to 4me2

Geko (27th February 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

A quality player though that would walk into any team in the world. The premiership would be a lot worse off without him. Cantona was a bigger cunt though but Utd fans loved him.

Cantona was a misunderstood genius.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Was it a racist gesture?

If I put my finger up my nose and it offends someone who claims it is racist. Does that become racist too?

I think you need to read a bit more into it and maybe take your blinkers off.
    The hand action was anti-Semitic and Anelka has been found guilty.
    Definition of anti Semitic is ' One who discriminates against or who is hostile toward or prejudiced against Jews.' and we all know what the hand gesture means

so maybe it's you that needs to read up because if that's not racist I don't know what is.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ilscuro View Post
    Cantona was a misunderstood genius.
    I bet opposing fans don't agree with that

Thanks
    Karma Level

The hand action was anti-Semitic and Anelka has been found guilty.
    Definition of anti Semitic is ' One who discriminates against or who is hostile toward or prejudiced against Jews.' and we all know what the hand gesture means

so maybe it's you that needs to read up because if that's not racist I don't know what is.
    I found the hand action you used when you typed that post anti-semitic. Therefore it must be. You obviously understand what anti-semitic means, because if you didn't, you wouldn't have been able to copy and paste it from the internet.

So... If you don't think that what you did is racist. Then you need to read up.

: Now.... Read what I have written above. It is fucking ridiculous. That is basically a copy of what you and all those who say that what Anelka did is racist. Get my point yet? Or do you just want to make this thread about Mancs and Scousers?

Because if what Anelka did is racist because it's an "inverse Nazi salute", then maybe yawning in the morning is a double Nazi salute. Maybe raising your hand at school means that all the kids are SS in training. This whole story is fucking ridiculous. And you're lack of understanding of what symbolises what, is typical of all the people who absorb the news, without looking any deeper.

I love the bit in bold from you. It makes me laugh every time I read it. Did you know what the hand gesture meant when you watched the game? I very much doubt it. 90% of this country hadn't heard of the Quenelle until it was broadcasted through every medium going.

Thanks to Geko

Ashley (28th February 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd say more like 99% hadn't

2 Thanks given to Mr 250

Geko (27th February 2014),  stevo25 (28th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I Wonder what will happen to these 2 players ? .......... Fuck All thats what !!

Samir Nasri {Man City}

Mamadou Sakho {Liverpool}

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I found the hand action you used when you typed that post anti-semitic. Therefore it must be. You obviously understand what anti-semitic means, because if you didn't, you wouldn't have been able to copy and paste it from the internet.

So... If you don't think that what you did is racist. Then you need to read up.

: Now.... Read what I have written above. It is fucking ridiculous. That is basically a copy of what you and all those who say that what Anelka did is racist. Get my point yet? Or do you just want to make this thread about Mancs and Scousers?

Because if what Anelka did is racist because it's an "inverse Nazi salute", then maybe yawning in the morning is a double Nazi salute. Maybe raising your hand at school means that all the kids are SS in training. This whole story is fucking ridiculous. And you're lack of understanding of what symbolises what, is typical of all the people who absorb the news, without looking any deeper.

I love the bit in bold from you. It makes me laugh every time I read it. Did you know what the hand gesture meant when you watched the game? I very much doubt it. 90% of this country hadn't heard of the Quenelle until it was broadcasted through every medium going.
    Regardless of what you know about the matter, Anelka was found guilty so get over it. You can mock all you like but in the end the hand gesture was found to be racially offensive, I bet if Anelka played for Liverpool he would guilty as hell by most people . It was studied by experts who know more about it the matter than you or me. I don't get your point and I don't think you get mine either. I saw the hand gesture during the game and thought it was strange, does it matter if most people did not know at the time what it meant, he bloody well knew. No different to a Nazi salute, it was not right to do it. I can bet my house that he knew what it was intended to mean.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is fuck all to do with Liverpool or any other team. It's about Anelka getting shafted for a fake IVERTED nazi salute which is according to it's creator anti establishment. The corrupt football governing bodies have overstepped the mark.

Thanks to 4me2

Geko (28th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It doesn't take much to offend people these days, no matter who they are... Sad if you ask me.

All this pony about "my grandad died fighting for, blah blah blah" and "you offend my religeon by saying 'cucumber'" and "he waved his hand at me while pointing at his foot"... people really need to get a grip.

Them blokes that do semaphores must have offended everyone by now.

If it's not footballers offending fans, it's fans offending footballers.

DJ OD

2 Thanks given to DJ OD

Ashley (28th February 2014),  dpSparhawk (28th February 2014)  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast