Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Need to design a mini booklet, how is best to do it??

I am helping someone I know locally, they have a cottage business and have asked for some help with branding, a little of light design work etc. so I agreed to help in my spare time.

I have the design work completed, now we need to design a booklet which can have the content quickly altered and printed at home to be attached to the products. The booklet contains ingredients etc.

the approx size is 1.5 inches square and one will have a single fold (4 pages), one will have two folds (6 pages). What program can I design this in so that when I print on both sides of the paper it will be aligned properly? It will be printed to a4 and then cut in a guillotine. I have tried using publisher but failed...

Just need the template doing (or advice on how to do it myself) in a document where it will be aligned when printed. I can then add the text boxes and design work myself

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need to design a mini booklet, how is best to do it??

I actually came across this the other day while looking for something else, don't know if it will be of any use to you.

The best program I have found for stuff like you want to do is Adobe InDesign but it seems a bit overkill for your purposes. Lots of booklet templates for it on GraphicsRiver though.

Thanks to neilb

evilsatan (5th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neilb View Post
    I actually came across this the other day while looking for something else, don't know if it will be of any use to you.

The best program I have found for stuff like you want to do is Adobe InDesign but it seems a bit overkill for your purposes. Lots of booklet templates for it on GraphicsRiver though.
    As above mate InDesign is your best option..use existing templates..plenty available in usual kind of places..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks to mc.dodd

evilsatan (5th March 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers, will give that a shot

Thanks
    Karma Level

Or quark express mate..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks to mc.dodd

evilsatan (11th March 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers, when I get a second I will give it a try in Indesign first as I have that installed already and if that fails I will try Quark

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have had a quick go on InDesign but couldn't find templates for what I am after and keep running out of time. Would anyone on here be able to knock me up a template if I send them money for their time? In all honesty I think this would take someone who knows what they are doing an hour tops but I am failing miserably because within 20 minutes of me starting to do it the phone rings and I am needed elsewhere. I can provide the spec over PM, it's nothing special at all and I can do the design work on it, just need the template sorted so when it's printed out it aligns for double sided printing.

Cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have always used Coreldraw for stuff like this. Whether using Indesign or Coreldraw many people forget to turn the grid on to help with alignment. Never used Indesign but I assume it has a grid than can be turned on for easier alignment of stuff on the page?

When holding a test print up to a light source any slight misalignment can be seen and measured and then readjusted so that both sides line up. (">

Thanks to BigBird

evilsatan (30th April 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the tips mate, I hope to get time on Friday to have another crack but sods law says it will be a day full of important jobs.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Didnt realise I had Indesign installed. Must have come bundled when I bought Photoshop So decided to have a play. Assuming I understand what you need I did this:

Created the first page made up of twenty four 38.1mm (1 1/2") content frames which will give you 8 six page booklets or 12 four page booklets. The boxes at each corner and encompassing the four middle frames were added just for test prints and have now been deleted from the page. The vertical line and horizontal line running down and across the middle of the page are just guidelines.

Second page the same but the frames are moved 3mm down to align with the other side of the page.

This is how I aligned them up. First test print held up to the light showed that the frames were out by about 3mm.

Some adjustment and a few test prints later and all came good. The slight alignment problem you see on one end of the page is down to the paper going through the printer at a slight angle.

Page 1 and 2 were created as two separate files because when I went to create another page and duplicate the first page to it things went wrong so will need to play a bit more. They could be created within the same document for duplex printing if your printer supports that.

Here are the files wrapped up in a rar file. Have included the test print files which have the boxes so try printing them and see how they turn out on your printer. Remember to work out the orientation when placing back in the printer for the second page. If the paper tray is on the bottom it usually prints on the down facing side:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21214875/Indesign%20booklet%20template.rar

Edit: As long as you don't create visible frames to border each page and you don't place the text right on the edge of the page then any slight misalignment should not make a difference anyway. (">

Edit 2: You may know this but just in case. To save time adding content to the page: For the six page booklet, delete all content frames except three of the top ones on the left (Leave only two remaining when creating the four page booklet). Add content to the frames and then select all three frames and duplicate them (alt+shift+ctrl+d) or (Edit-Duplicate). Move the new set of frames together so they snap along the edge and inline with the first lot. Now select all six frames and duplicate them and snap them to the first lot. Keep doing this until you have filled the page. (">
    Last edited by BigBird; 30th April 2014 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks to BigBird

evilsatan (30th April 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wow, cheers mate, will probs get time to play with this on Friday to get some proofs printed and will PM you to arrange some beer money

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Wow, cheers mate, will probs get time to play with this on Friday to get some proofs printed and will PM you to arrange some beer money
    Just glad to help where I can mate. Let me know how you get on. Do the test prints first to make sure your printers alignment is the same as mine. (">

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I am trying this now, my test prints are out but I need to check the paper is being fed straight first as they are out on a wonk, I think the paper feed is messing it up.