Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Windows 8.1 RTM Download Now Officially Available From MSDN And TechNet

MSDN and TechNet users can now officially download Windows 8.1 RTM bits. It’s fair to say that, as far as new Windows releases go, Windows 8 wasn’t the most well-received. With plenty of criticism from users bemused as to the extent of the changes, Microsoft has somewhat gone back to the drawing board, keeping some of the new implementations while also offering a little more familiarity to proceedings.

The dramatic return of the traditional Start button is perhaps the most talked-about feature of the lot, and although it’s something relatively small in the grand scheme of Microsoft’s operating system, many users felt as though the proverbial rug had been pulled from beneath them when the long-time feature was rather unceremoniously removed.

We heard not so long ago that Windows 8.1 had officially gotten RTM, but now, it’s actually been released to those tethered to the big two developer networks. Initially, the Redmond insisted TechNet and MSDN subscribers would not be seeing the release prior to the official October 18th launch – a decision that caused a major outcry.

Caving in to pressure, and not for the first time, Microsoft has back-tracked to keep the developers happy. To be fair, that initial plan to hold the RTM back until later would probably be to the detriment of the OS in general – a point repeated continually by upset developers.

On top of releasing the RTM, Microsoft has also said that changes will still be made to Windows 8.1 at this stage, and although the time constraints mean there won’t be anything too severe happening, the late push to apply the finishing touches was attributable to the initial decision to skip the early release to MSDN and TechNet.

The official Windows 8.1 release date for general public is set for October 18th, boasting a bunch of new and exciting features. It will be a completely free upgrade for those already rocking a Windows 8-enabled machine or device, and is the second installment in a continued switch to the annual release cycle.

Source
    Last edited by evilsatan; 9th September 2013 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks to evilsatan

raelmadrid (9th September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows 8.1 RTM Download Now Officially Available From MSDN And TechNet

cool gonna do a fresh install

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows 8.1 RTM Download Now Officially Available From MSDN And TechNet

I'll add to my VM soon although I reckon it will be hard for me to use my upgrade key to license it as they released an update that fixed the workaround I posted... Annoying as a clean install is much better than to upgrade the OS and I have legit win 7 licence anyway.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can you update an existing install?

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks
    Karma Level

2012 R2 RTM is also out

Thanks to reverend

raelmadrid (10th September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

any methods to activate this yet? windows toolkit does not support it

Thanks
    Karma Level

I downloaded 2012 R2 Hyper-V yesterday but don't wanna install it in case it needs 8.1 to manage it. Like a plonka I didn't get they MSDN subbed guys at work to grab me a copy of that and I'm not back until Monday.

Anyone got an official download link to 8.1 like what was posted for other products in another thread a while back?

They're on fullproductdownload.microsoft.com (or something similar) usually.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i can confirm KMSpico v8.7 (latest) does not activate 8.1 rtm either, hopefully something appears in the next few days

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have done clean install and loving it... tried 8 before and although it isn't a huge change.. I find it is changes that make a huge difference
    As above tho no activation that I can find yet ;-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm using 8.1 now on a tablet/laptop hybrid and I'm loving it. I hated it when i was using it on a normal laptop but now I have a touch enabled device it works well. What I don't like is the on screen keyboard. It's missing half the functional buttons like the ctrl and alt keys. The keyboard that runs as an app looks like a normal keyboard and has predictive text, it just isn't the default which is frustrating.

I never really used 8 other than loading it in a vm to have a play so can't comment on that other than using it on a non touch laptop was shite.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gotta agree.... I really love it now.. strange how such relatively small changes can make a huge difference.. before the tweaks I wouldnt touch it..
    Also on same hardware it is massively faster than Win 7 for me... dunno if 8.0 was the same or if 8.1 has had some speed tweaks but the difference I am getting is very noticable..

P.S anyone got a working activation method yet ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Windows 8.1.1 will be out beginning of April again a massive increase in performance,for me anyway,mydigitalife is the web site for all sorts well worth the look if not been before,,,,,